Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
You will get a "no" for sure like this. If you want to review it on your website my best recommendation would be: write this purpose directly to their Press/Communication Department and ask them for permission - thats the only way you could get a "yes" . Good luck - and possibly report back here
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Had access to Al Safwa during Ramadan and post Ramadan. Also got to use a day room for a few hours.

I am still not a fan of Al Safwa. I find the lounge to lack any atmosphere, and to be quite disjointed. If you don't know the layout, you could mis out on the Dessert Room, Spa, Day Rooms, etc. Also food is only served in the restaurants, and not general seating area.

In the general seating area, I asked for coffee and water. Would have expected the coffee to be served with some biscuits, chocolate, etc. When I asked, I was told they don't serve food outside the dining areas. I asked if they could get me some Macaroons, which they obliged to. Also with so many staff working there, my empty cup sat next to me for close to two hours.

The day rooms are great. Well ventilated, and comfortable bed. The soundproofing is no excellent, but was still able to get some rest.

I do love the lounging pods that have really nicer leather recliners.

Overall a peaceful lounge, but feels more like a museum then an airline lounge.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Overall a peaceful lounge, but feels more like a museum then an airline lounge.
Somebody shared this before on this thread but it seems like locals, non-Westerners do prefer this environment.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
There's a Dessert Room?! I've been through there 4 times and never knew about it!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
There's a Dessert Room?! I've been through there 4 times and never knew about it!
Head towards the family rooms, and it is there. Some great options, and I have never seen a person there, except staff.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:19 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I posted the location of it a couple of days ago.

It's opposite the entrance to the Spa, by the kids area.

M
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Why one should explore a lounge thoroughly.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: BA OWE
Had access to Al Safwa during Ramadan and post Ramadan. Also got to use a day room for a few hours.

In the general seating area, I asked for coffee and water. Would have expected the coffee to be served with some biscuits, chocolate, etc. When I asked, I was told they don't serve food outside the dining areas. I asked if they could get me some Macaroons, which they obliged to. Also with so many staff working there, my empty cup sat next to me for close to two hours.

Consistently poor service, such a shocking contrast to QR J or F in the air. The person(s) in charge of ground product should be embarrassed and/or fired.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I passed through on my way back to AD last week.

Overall, it's a very nice lounge but i can't help but think that they could probably utilize the space a little bit better.

I had a 4 hour layover and tried to get a nap room at 1a and they were all booked out until 6a.

There were some family rooms w/ sofas you can sleep on but I chose not to. In terms of food, I thought it was pretty solid but nothing to call home about. I ordered the lamb which was very good. In terms of alcohol they were pouring a 2006 Bordeaux which was solid and they're pouring Comtes 2006 (no more Krug I guess). Breakfast was fairly standard.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
No more Krug? Oh man I hope that's a temporary glitch...
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:34 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
No more Krug? Oh man I hope that's a temporary glitch...
Haven't had Krug in the Al Safwa for a while...3 months if not longer.

M
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:41 am

The Comtes 2006 is excellent. IMHO much nicer then the Krug
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Krug has a sort of nutty taste that you either really like or really don't. I was a Krug guy for a number of years; but now my taste is more towards Cristal. A much cleaner and crisper flavor IMO.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Krug has a sort of nutty taste that you either really like or really don't. I was a Krug guy for a number of years; but now my taste is more towards Cristal. A much cleaner and crisper flavor IMO.
Completely agree. But you never see Cristal on any flights. At least I have not.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
the comtes 2006 is excellent. Imho much nicer then the krug
way better indeed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.