Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Currently decided against the 102 from Batu Ferringhi to Penang airport: it just takes too long and Georgetown traffic can cause insane delays: so it'll be Grab at a £6 premium over Rapid Penang.
Unless you are in a desperate hurry, the 102 is fine (if not all that frequent). It's also quite direct (apart from the minute or two at Komtar), and seat 1A is really quite nice, if you're not all that squeamish.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You'd need a travel card, which ran at QAR20 for the unlimited 24H one, or you can get a two-ticket version from the driver for QAR10. Not a king's ransom, but unless things have changed (and they were going to) you can't use a credit card at the airport to get the Karwa card. So that means getting cash from ATMs or Forex desks.

I checked, and for what it's worth the information desk in the baggage hall can take credit card payments for Karwa cards, used on the bus.

Thats around carousels 3/4, before heading out through customs.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
Just as a note of warning, there used to be a policy that those arriving in long haul F and departing in J would only be granted access to Al Safwa if their transit time was under 8 hours. As yours is much longer than this you *may* find yourself being redirected to Al Mourjan. That said, you can come and go from there all day if you wish.
Just to report back...Despite the 10+ hour connection I managed to get into the Al Safwa First Lounge without major issue. It did take a bit of time for the guy on reception to allow me in but I think it was because my boarding passes were issued by Qantas. Once he checked that the flights were on Qatar metal he waved me through. I do wonder if the 8 hour rule is if someone is travelling longhaul to shorhaul, whereas I was travelling longhaul to midhaul (longhaul? DOH-VIE).

In the end I didn't leave and go to the city because I had a bit of a cold and decided to stay at the airport. Managed to get a few hours sleep in one of those private rooms and then headed out to the lounge for a very pleasant meal and few glasses of champagne. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience and probably saw no more than 6 other passengers in the 4 hours I was in the lounge. For me, without question, this was the best lounge that I've ever been in....now just to work out how to get in there again!
Old May 17, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by headingwest
Just to report back...Despite the 10+ hour connection I managed to get into the Al Safwa First Lounge without major issue. It did take a bit of time for the guy on reception to allow me in but I think it was because my boarding passes were issued by Qantas. Once he checked that the flights were on Qatar metal he waved me through. I do wonder if the 8 hour rule is if someone is travelling longhaul to shorhaul, whereas I was travelling longhaul to midhaul (longhaul? DOH-VIE).

In the end I didn't leave and go to the city because I had a bit of a cold and decided to stay at the airport. Managed to get a few hours sleep in one of those private rooms and then headed out to the lounge for a very pleasant meal and few glasses of champagne. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience and probably saw no more than 6 other passengers in the 4 hours I was in the lounge. For me, without question, this was the best lounge that I've ever been in....now just to work out how to get in there again!
Yes, Al Safwa seems to get a lot of criticism for things I actually quite like about it! (It's quiet, staff members often outnumber guests, etc.) With better food I'd rank it as one of the best lounges anywhere, without that it's still a great lounge, just maybe not top 5.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
^ +1
Old May 17, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yes, Al Safwa seems to get a lot of criticism for things I actually quite like about it! (It's quiet, staff members often outnumber guests, etc.) With better food I'd rank it as one of the best lounges anywhere, without that it's still a great lounge, just maybe not top 5.
Without going too much off topic. Would love to hear what those top 5 lounges are if you feel Al Safwa doesn't crack that list.
Flying Bosun likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Without going too much off topic. Would love to hear what those top 5 lounges are if you feel Al Safwa doesn't crack that list.
AF F, LH FCT, The Pier F, QF F SYD, QF F MEL.

QR at LHR and CDG ironically have better food than Al Safwa, but I think I marginally prefer Al Safwa. Ditto CX F LHR.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
AF F, LH FCT, The Pier F, QF F SYD, QF F MEL.

QR at LHR and CDG ironically have better food than Al Safwa, but I think I marginally prefer Al Safwa. Ditto CX F LHR.
Also out of curiosity have you tried EK F lounge in DXB?
Old May 18, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601

Also out of curiosity have you tried EK F lounge in DXB?
No, it's on my list, too loyal to QR when going through the Middle East . Will need to find an excuse to a book a QF codeshare at some point. From the way it looks I don't think I'd like it (not good interior design / too big).
Old May 18, 2018, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
AS, without question, is my favorite lounge so far. (I haven't tried EK at DXB or the [now downgraded from what I've heard] EY experience at AUH.) Other lounges have certain INDIVIDUAL things that I think are great (e.g., The Wing has floor-to-ceiling windows; FCT has great bath facilities and tarmac rides to the gate); but taken as a whole, AS can't be beat, at least in my book.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Al Safwa is a missed opportunity. It easily could have been the world's best airport lounge with its stunning architecture and expanse. But with mediocre food and beverage offerings at best, it falls short of its potential.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Well I'm confused. Are there two Al Safwa lounges? Because the lounge I was in certainly had some excellent food and drinks, much better than I got served the previous day at the Qantas First Lounge in Melbourne, and just as good as The Pier at Hong Kong.

As I said earlier, the Al Safwa was for me without doubt the best experience that I've ever had in a lounge - an amazing setting, few other passengers, and very attentive staff who were almost falling over themselves to help me (in a positive way). I've certainly no complaints about the food and drinks either...the champagne was flowing freely.

I had a chat with a couple of the staff and they genuinely seemed to enjoy working there which was also nice to hear. During my entire stay it showed that they were proud to be working in the lounge and not looking down their noses at me like they tend to do in some other lounges (i.e. BA Flounge at LHR!).
Old May 18, 2018, 9:41 am

Well I'm confused. Are there two Al Safwa lounges? Because the lounge I was in certainly had some excellent food and drinks, much better than I got served the previous day at the Qantas First Lounge in Melbourne, and just as good as The Pier at Hong Kong.

As I said earlier, the Al Safwa was for me without doubt the best experience that I've ever had in a lounge - an amazing setting, few other passengers, and very attentive staff who were almost falling over themselves to help me (in a positive way). I've certainly no complaints about the food and drinks either...the champagne was flowing freely.

I had a chat with a couple of the staff and they genuinely seemed to enjoy working there which was also nice to hear. During my entire stay it showed that they were proud to be working in the lounge and not looking down their noses at me like they tend to do in some other lounges (i.e. BA Flounge at LHR!).
Apparently so. I had possibly the best meal I've ever had in a lounge at QF MEL early this year, whereas Al Safwa food other than breakfast tastes a bit like upmarket microwaved meals to me. On the drinks front also the QF MEL bar makes great cocktails and coffee whereas in Al Safwa not so much. If your main concern is how much the champagne costs, then yes, Al Safwa is clearly better.
Old May 19, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I can appreciate that our taste in food is subjective. However, I find the beverage and food menu at The Pier in Hong Kong is far superior to that of Al Safwa.
NoY and FlyerTalker37 like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:47 am

Al Safwa Lounge chefs can't even cook an egg to order. The food is mediocre. Staff are some of the sweetest I have encountered. I love the bedrooms for sleeping and the peace, space and design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.