Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xmas Function

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
CityRail is bracing for the hottest November day on record, with predictions that the heat will cause widespread delays for commuters.

Rail officials last night foreshadowed mandatory speed restrictions, causing delays across the network if temperatures reach 42 degrees as predicted. The warning came as the weather bureau forecast dangerous bushfire conditions - heat, humidity below 10 per cent and winds of up to 90kmh. Fire officials responded by issuing a statewide fire ban.

A CityRail spokeswoman, Helen Willoughby, said extreme heat potentially posed a problem for tracks, because metal expands. CityRail typically slows down trains by 10kmh once temperatures reach 38 degrees.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true

og was 100% spot on.

For those planning a train connex please be mindful.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by ozstampsA CityRail spokeswoman, Helen Willoughby, said extreme heat potentially posed a problem for tracks, because metal expands. CityRail typically slows down trains by 10kmh once temperatures reach 38 degrees.[/I

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true

og was 100% spot on.

For those planning a train connex please be mindful.
I could have told you that ages ago. For those travelling by train in SYD, you will often see some nice big yellow signs with the following four letters on them - WOLO - this indicates to drivers (and serves as constant reminders) that it is high-heat conditions, that rails are subject to expansion, and that speeds are to be reduced by a certain amount (I believe it is 20km/h).

It is common knowledge amongst the railfan community (of which I do NOT claim to be a member, just an observer, so that I know how my travel will be affected).

Dave
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thadocta

For those travelling by train in SYD, you will often see some nice big yellow signs with the following four letters on them - WOLO
Thought that meant Wankers On Locomotives Often ?
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:20 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Cool Xmas Drinks, Update #13, 30 Nov 10.10am (AEST)

Party time TODAY... (the biggest FT gathering we've had in Australia!!) ^

and only 8 days until BNE gathering...

(What better way to stick it to QF by drinking the QF Bar dry after the program changes announced this week!!!)

Please - if you are on the unconfirmed list, think of advising me whether you are attending by posting a reply to this topic.

Sydney QP - Tuesday, 30 November @ 4pm and afterwards

Confirmed attendees (cornfirmation advice received in this thread) - arrival in chronological order now:

RichardMEL (PS ^) arriving QF440 (3.50pm) & departs QF489 (8.30pm)
dazer (PS), arrival ~ 4pm, departs QF546 (6:35pm)
og (Plat), arriving ~4pm
SFSC (??), arriving ~ 4.15pm
JohnSydney2000 (Plat) - arriving QF537 (4.40pm)
ozstamps (??), arriving ~5.00pm
martynriddle (Gold), arriving ~5.00pm
shillard (Plat), arriving 4.00pm, departs for MEL @ 5:30pm
QF WP (Plat), arriving from BNE QF543 5.10pm (QP arrival 5.20pm)
tinkybelle (AA Plat / OW Sapphire) arriving 5.40pm
thadocta (Gold) arriving QF562 5.50pm (QP arrival 6pm)
Willyroo (Plat), arriving from City ~6pm
Dave Noble (Plat), arriving from City ~6pm
Goldflyer (Gold, of course!!), arriving from City ~6pm
serfty (Gold) - arrival on QF454 (6:50pm) & departs QF550 (7:35pm)
AllyB (Plat), arrival ~7pm
Lis (??) arrival on QF458 7:20pm (QP arrival shortly thereafter)

Possibles (will be moved up when confirmation received):

aura (Gold??)
Kurwah (Plat)
nonce (Plat) arriving QF??? ??pm

Agenda Items:

1. Concern over quantity of HP's due to large attendance and very hot day
2. Proposed XO Dinner, Sydney (Lis to address meeting)
3. Program changes and ramifications on QFs long term profitability (og)
4. Salute to michswiss (for coming to Aust) and qfcbr (for leaving a month before this event)

Brisbane QP - Wednesday, 8 December @ 3pm and afterwards

Confirmed attendees (cornfirmation advice received in this thread):

QF WP (Plat), ETA 4pm (have appt with client @ Hendra 3pm)
Willyroo (Plat)
NM (Plat) + Mini NM#1 & 2
thadocta (Gold) arriving QF 530 but arrival in QP will be ~ 4.30pm
Dino2020 (unknown)

Possibles (will be moved up when confirmation received):

og (Plat) arriving QF??? ??pm
Dave Noble (Plat) arriving QF??? ??pm
IainF (Plat)
shillard (Plat)
dannyr (??)
BundyBear (Bronze)
nonce (Plat) arriving QF??? ??pm
spotwelder (BA Gold / OW Emerald)

Agenda Items:

1. Upcoming 3rd Annual BNE QP meeting (Feb 05) - preliminary discussions over a HP.
2. In depth discussion about the new QF Program changes

A couple of unknowns:

Itsalongwaydown - TBA (MEL or SYD).
swissmich - You've arrived in MEL (welcome!), are you going to try and attend BNE or SYD - maybe wait for MEL to be organised??

Anybody that I have missed (or not put in their status or flight details) please advise to this thread and I'll update the list.

Finally, for those who are NB, PS or Gold (or any other airline FF for that matter!!) and not flying on that day - don't worry!! There are enough Plats at each meeting to get everybody in (as we can take 2 guests in each and none of us have to be flying). In fact in Sydney, Plats could take in 4 guests - two per entrance. so we can really make this quite a party...

For anybody going to drop in (if you haven't got auto entry from a flight that day or Plat), make sure you page "Rod Speed" or "Dave Noble" to make sure we come and get you

[/ FT QP Convenors hat off ) ]

Last edited by QF WP; Dec 5, 2004 at 9:41 pm Reason: updating details
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:15 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Arrival sometime at or after 16:00 depending on trains.

BNE is looking most uncertain(unlikely) now.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:53 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum/Oneworld Emerald, Qantas Lifetime Gold
I will probably be able to make it, but not until around 7 pm. Coming from the city via train.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:38 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Ok, stage one of the SYD bash underway. Sitting here in the T3 QP, plowing through some Tooheys Extra Dry (not a bad drop actually, some of you might recall that I started a thread about it approx three years ago - and someone renamed it "Toomey's Extra Dry" in honour of Ansett). Am saving the HP's for later.

Flight to CBR boards in about 8 minutes, where stage two will happen - meeting craigo for a drink or three at the CBR QP.

Then back to SYD T3 QP for the main bash. See you all there.

Dave
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:10 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
okay, I'm sitting in BNE QP, tried but failed to get an earlier flight .... so will be there with hopefully enough time to say hi to shillard before he heads off to MEL/HBT...

goosegreen had sent me a PM to say she can't make it now.

Should anybody need to contact "somebody" by telephone (in case you're like Goldflyer who doesn't believe he could ask for Rod Speed to be paged without breaking up in peals of giggles), then ring me.

Last edited by QF WP; Dec 5, 2004 at 9:35 pm Reason: adding last comment
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:24 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Well I have been doing mhy bit for the cause and since I can't be there in person, I have been helping some collegues to plough through several jugs of ale at the Iron House Brewery here in Newark, DE.

Have a great time, and I will be awaiting the meeting minutes.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:25 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Yes would have been nice to be there but the end of the month is a bad time to be away from the office especially when trying to organise end of month finances. If I had realised that 16 or so people were turning up then I would have taken the time off work.

At 10;00am, this morning, price was still $312.00 so not bad for last minute travel, but then theres the explaining of where was I going for 6 hours, "sydney" explain that to most people,

Also just brought a new company car, so that takes a bit to organise too.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og

Arrival sometime at or after 16:00 depending on trains.
You'll be first there! ^

martynriddle and I are catching a cab a little earlier than planned to should be there about 4.30pm now. I have forgot Owen's surname so I'll page Rod Speed about 4.30pm .. please be listening for that.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:30 pm

Programs: QF SG-OW Sapphire, AA nobody, Marriott nobody, Velocity-where everybody's a nobody,Hertz#1 Club Gold
OK, my cab is here ahould be at QP in 30mins - looks like I'll be one of the first there along with og . RichardMEL and SFSC. See you all there!!! ^
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:46 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
I'm trying for 5.30 as I now feel very concerned about the amount of stock the bar will have if I leave it any later.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Cool

Checked in, Flight 454 is still on time so looking at 7pm! You should all be well oiled by then. Then again I'm at MEL QP as I type !
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:27 pm

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold
Sorry that I couldn't make it to the Sydney do, but I'm using up my leave for the Austria trip in January. I did manage to have an hour off to catch up with thadocta in the CBR QP. He's on his way, the flight to SYD was on time. I'm back in the office (sigh )

Have fun everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.