Search

Xmas Function

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:02 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Apologies from me. Still recovering from the SYD QP meeting. Can't look another HP in the face - well almost (at least there can't be any more HPs in Sydney so that won't be a problem). Have a great evening.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:41 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Smile

Apologies QF WP and all. I've not been around for about 10 days or so. I'm glad the Syd function (PU) went so well and also unhappy at not being able to get to the Bne PU.

Best wishes for tomorrow evening, I hope everyone enjoys themselves and look forward to an opportunity to meet everyone in the future .

I haven't been near a major airport for sometime now so I'm looking forward to this Sat when I fly Mel to Cns (QF702). Coming back on Tues if anyone's going to be around (QF703).
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:08 am

For some reason I thought the BNE meeting was today.

I may be able to swing a meeting to justify a trip up there tomorrow for xmas cheer.

I will aim for 3pm or just after if I can pull a rabbit out of my hat, (again?)
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:49 am
Lis

Well, then CBR

Okay. Let's just say I have decided to give up on sober logins between now and Christmas. Not necessarily a bad thing, might I add. Now I know the CBR Christmas gathering is earlier, but I also feel the need to let you know.l

<Formal announcement>

I am visiting CBR for some Christmas cheer!

Flying down on QF 805 on Fri 17th Dec (dep 17:45) and back on QF562 on Sun 19th (dep 17:00).

I'll slip some MIMS mints down the seat backs of the QP for y'all.

Highly amused cheers!!

Lis
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:36 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Wednesday 8 December:

Guys - a late apology from me for this afternoon. I have to fly to SYD first thing Thursday am for an unexpected matter, and today has just been "crunched" for this trip to fit.

But I will be earning points and miles and status - the next best thing to a BNE QP FT DO.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Arrow BNE Xmas

I've checked in, seat 7D, seq 52 (means VXO flight approx 70% full). I may be late however.

QF626 Due BNE at 15:10, however most MEL - BNE flights are running at least 20mins late into BNE (they are leaving MEL on time).

This is due to unusual headwinds; there is a Low pressure trough centred around Broken Hill at the moment.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:08 am

Great to catch up with all those at the BNE XMAS gig. ''twas a little more civilized than the SYD gig, however I can't confirm those I left behind were not let out via the kitchen after a lock in.

I hope Anders gained something from the meeting and I look forward to his future posts rather than lurking in the shadows.

Serfty, I hope your meeting goes well tomorrow, rather you than me buddy. I try to schedule post 2pm after a meeting at the QP.

Dino2020, we are of like minds when it comes to bending/skirting the rules. Hey they make them, it is our job to work them. I'm glad you were impressed with our ability in OZ to have a free drink at the airlines expense.

thadocta, I ended up on the next flight out from you as mine was cancelled. As they combined both the last flights I thought I was in with a chance of an upgrade. However after looking at the damage to your knees you suffered begging for yours I decided to accept WHY.

QF WP, nice to catch up with you again. You were definitely right about 4C on the 738, it is a great seat, from there I could count 4 QF staff in J and one next to me that had moved from the flight deck, her BP marked jumpseat. The CSM during his welcome speech invited questions and help throughout the flight. I choose to take up that offer at BOD. He was actually quite candid and said there are no set rules, but as a result of the last departure and an A/C going US they had to get a heap of staff home. That I can understand, but what about long haul when staff end up a the pointy end and push plats and gold's to the back of the bus whilst on waitlist.

NM, nice to meet you at last and may I say the mini's are possibly the best behaved people I have ever witnessed in the QP. I'm sure that will change once they get some status and start bouncing their weight around.

IainF, I hope your upcoming holidays go well and many thanks for the pen and conversation however I would suggest next time we talk about drugs that you lower your voice.

Great gig gang, I look forward to more.

Meloz
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:06 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
meloz, an excellent summary of the nights events, however you failed to mention how many times the cleaners came past our corner and cleared our empty HP glasses.

The party finished at 8.30pm, with serfty, Dino2020 and QF WP being som of the last to leave the QP. There was still a couple of lights to leave, so we weren't ushured out the kitchen doors. serfty went to grab a cab, whileI drove Dino2020 to the Formule 1 hotel off Nudgee Road (on my way home). Only hope he got into his room, as he didn't have the access code for his room, it was booked in Mrs Dino2020's name and she was probably in a movie with friends. Well at least he had time to sober up by the time she came home (or be asleep)...

The story of the night (alluded to by meloz), was the welcome appearance of a lurker to our meeting . Although I wasn't there at the time, apparently Anders (as I believe we have convinced him to start posting) had been following this thread (as well as the "sticky" about where the FT meeting area was in BNE QP) and was sitting nearby. As soon as he heard people avidly discussing flying, he asked whether we were the Flyertalk'ers. Now Anders is a QF Plat, so was warmly welcomed into the fold - we had a great chat towards the end of the night.

Great to have some new faces to our meetings....next BNE QP meeting will be on or around 24 February 2005 (the 3rd Annual General Meeting of the BNE QP FT'ers)
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:40 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Thanks to QF WP, the social convener of the FT BNE Chapter for arranging this event. As has been mentioned, it was great to meet some new faces and catch up with some old friends. Rod Speed didn't make too many appearances this time. We missed willyroo as well as some of the southerners who have flown in for past sessions, including og, JohnSydney2000 and the 5 :-: dsn. Perhaps you can make it up for the Feb meeting?

I managed to stay awake all the way home, but was soon dozing in front of the cricket after getting two Mini-NM's off to bed. They had a good time, consuming countless glasses of Sprite and LLB, and helping to clear out the hot food when it arrived. The QP also makes for a cheap dinner for the family .
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:43 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
24 Feb 05 OK, now please arrange for Mr G Dixon to authorise some cheap N specials on that day and I'll be there.

By that time, the fuel surcharge should be lightened off a dollar or ten. Am I dreaming with that comment? Then again, I'm sure there will be a "getting up in the morning surcharge" or a "cleaning the plane surcharge" to replace the fuel surcharge.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool

Originally Posted by meloz
Serfty, I hope your meeting goes well tomorrow, rather you than me buddy. I try to schedule post 2pm after a meeting at the QP.
Yes, the meeting did go well, I was happily sleeping by 10pm. Was I Glad for Daylight Saving however! That extra hour was necessary!

Had a pleasant evening; it was good to be able to spend more time with you guys. The only reason QP was not closed when we left was two delayed flights. One to DRW left over two hours late!

Now Feb 24.. I'll need to look. I think that's around the first week of the S12's!

Last edited by serfty; Dec 9, 2004 at 3:17 pm
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:30 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
NM, nice to meet you at last and may I say the mini's are possibly the best behaved people I have ever witnessed in the QP.
Agreed - whatever you plowed them full of, I want some.

Dave
Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up Thursday 24th February?

Originally Posted by QF WP
....next BNE QP meeting will be on or around 24 February 2005 (the 3rd Annual General Meeting of the BNE QP FT'ers)
Originally Posted by og
24 Feb 05 OK, now please arrange for Mr G Dixon to authorise some cheap N specials on that day and I'll be there.
There appears to be plenty of N around that date. Even quite a bit of U ^ . Also plenty on the weekend. If the date and time can be confirmed, I will take the plunge. I will probably connect it with a bit of a weekend stay as well as the QLD REDS game on Saturday night. I've also got my eye on one of those U's....
Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:53 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by thadocta
Agreed - whatever you plowed them full of, I want some.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have passed it on to the boys as its always encouraging for them to know that others are watching and taking note of how they present themselves. They have their moments , but I am always pleased to be able to take them places without fear of being thrown out .

My only prep for taking them along was to make sure they had fully charged batteries for their gameboys. I am amazed at how they can play those things for extended periods. Kept them busy for hours at a time while flying, driving and training around the world last year.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:48 pm

Programs: QFF
Thumbs up

Guys, thanks for the warm welcome to the FT "cult" I found the initiation process of drinking several HPs most enjoyable It was great to meet the people behind the callsigns and it will make reading the FT forums even more fun in the future. Hopefully I'll be able to join in the interesting threads too.

It is also good to know that if FT parties go a bit slow even with QP HPs, IanF has merchandise that can make everybody feel really funny

Thanks again and hope to see you all in February 2005!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.