Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:57 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Theres a UL sale coming soon to celebrate their 40th year of operation.

M
JessicaTam likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Theres a UL sale coming soon to celebrate their 40th year of operation.

M
Thanks MSM, I did a search and found some info about a sale they did for their 37th anniversary in 2016, it said " Book between – 01 September – 10 September 2016 " so looks like news should be coming out soon and same dates might apply for when you have to book in order to get the discount.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by raggo
Thanks MSM, I did a search and found some info about a sale they did for their 37th anniversary in 2016, it said " Book between – 01 September – 10 September 2016 " so looks like news should be coming out soon and same dates might apply for when you have to book in order to get the discount.
From the email I got about it from UL, it appeared that you had to register for the promotion. It said that you had to subscribe before 30 August, but it looked like I was just signing up for their mailing list - which I'm already on...
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by peter h
From the email I got about it from UL, it appeared that you had to register for the promotion. It said that you had to subscribe before 30 August, but it looked like I was just signing up for their mailing list - which I'm already on...
Agreed, but I understood it more so to be a notice of an impending sale post August.

M
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by awarty

Any other tips or suggestions, based on your collective wisdom, on how to approach the DXB B2B.

Thanks
The B2B at DXB was a breeze, no one asked to see my boarding pass until I started boarding.

The A4 printed boarding pass was accepted without question at the gate in DXB, it elicited a raised eyebrow at the gate in CMB (for the CMB-CGK sector) but I just shrugged apologetically and said that this is all I have and they let me board.

To answer a question raised earlier in this thread, I bought these tickets during the last sale, where they were marked ineligible for FlySmiles credit, but 6 of the 8 sectors have correctly posted to my BA EC account today.

The first 2 flights haven't yet posted and I will give it a couple of days and then claim them online.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
The B2B at DXB was a breeze, no one asked to see my boarding pass until I started boarding.
That's good to hear.

However, I can't imagine you would have had a problem with getting a BP from the transfer desk at DXB T1, which should have taken at most 10 minutes (based on my experience a couple of weeks ago).
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP

The A4 printed boarding pass was accepted without question at the gate in DXB, it elicited a raised eyebrow at the gate in CMB (for the CMB-CGK sector) but I just shrugged apologetically and said that this is all I have and they let me board.

To answer a question raised earlier in this thread, I bought these tickets during the last sale, where they were marked ineligible for FlySmiles credit, but 6 of the 8 sectors have correctly posted to my BA EC account today.

The first 2 flights haven't yet posted and I wto thill give it a couple of days and then claim them online.
Thanks for bringing facts to the discussion re FFP credit for UL tix bought in a sale. Considering the surprises we're waiting for in some days, your post came just in time.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:51 am

Prices for dates I could do have gone up unfortunately so considering some other dates. Will wait a day or two more for sale announcement to see if prices go down. In the meantime, a couple of questions:
  1. How many days before the anniversary (which is 1st September, I called UL to confirm) does the sae get advertised?
  2. If you buy tickets in the sale are they eligible for BAEC Tier Points?
Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by raggo
Prices for dates I could do have gone up unfortunately so considering some other dates. Will wait a day or two more for sale announcement to see if prices go down. In the meantime, a couple of questions:
  1. How many days before the anniversary (which is 1st September, I called UL to confirm) does the sae get advertised?
  2. If you buy tickets in the sale are they eligible for BAEC Tier Points?
Thanks.
1. Your guess is as good as anyone else's. Personally, I'll be starting my look-out at late evening CMB time on Aug 31.

2. Look at post by awarty some posts back, quoted in my post preceeding yours. Nobody (of us) knows what rules UL might have for the upcoming 40th Anniversary Surprise SAles, if not different from the recent Flash Sale, no worries.
AZTRAVELLER likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:24 am

Just got home from doing one round of AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH, wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone in this thread for the great advice. I was very prepared, and it all went out the window because Fitch and Glenlivet were on my planes, veterans to this, so I just ended up following them around

I spent some time in Abu Dhabi / Dubai before and after to make a mini working vacation out of the week, and used up an Etihad first redemption via AA miles on the way back home to the USA - which was amazing!!!!!
  • I timed flights to be on the UL A330's 3 out of 4 flights. I am very glad I did this based on advice - I would not have slept well at all on the A321. I did not find it very comfortable at all in any position (I'm tall and big guy so take that fwiw)
  • I see what everyone was talking about a power high chair on the A330 - I did find a comfortable position on the A330... go all the way to the bed position, then hold down 'relax' so it tilts back up, letting go of the button the instant it tries to raise the whole seat
  • Thank you for warning about the CC check, they definitely did that for my first UL flight in AUH
  • CMB bus gate advice was spot on. Security for that gate was dead empty by the time they called the business class passengers (last)
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:15 pm

The UL sale begins on 1st September, and runs for 3 days.

M
JessicaTam and Lefly like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The UL sale begins on 1st September, and runs for 3 days.
Does it kick in 00:00 CMB time on the 1st?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by HUGE AL
Does it kick in 00:00 CMB time on the 1st?
Who knows? But CMB time would make sense.

My email leads to a website promising a bald 40% off business-class tickets, but i think maybe that's maybe missing the nuanced "up to x%" notion we get used to over at Qatar and other airlines. And no mention of the other common caveat: percentage reductions apply only to the base fares.

So I guess proof of pudding only on, or around, Colombo-midnight Saturday/Sunday.

Correcting my observation: the crafty up to does sneak into the visual accompanying the website text. Small, paler letters - but it is there

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 30, 2019 at 4:18 am Reason: correction added :)
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Who knows? But CMB time would make sense.

My email leads to a website promising a bald 40% off business-class tickets, but i think maybe that's maybe missing the nuanced "up to x%" notion we get used to over at Qatar and other airlines. And no mention of the other common caveat: percentage reductions apply only to the base fares.

So I guess proof of pudding only on, or around, Colombo-midnight Saturday/Sunday.

Correcting my observation: the crafty up to does sneak into the visual accompanying the website text. Small, paler letters - but it is there
With fares currently at £700, I'd expect a 25-30% off Sale, reducing them to £475ish which is what we've seen before.

M
JessicaTam and raggo like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BA, United, Virgin Atlantic, ITA.
Originally Posted by Kev6789
Anyone here doing AUH-CGK between Sep 10 - Oct 3?
AUH-CMB-CGK on 18/19 Sep and CGK-CMB-AUH on 24 Sep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.