All electronics must be removed from bag.

Old Aug 4, 07, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
TSA'ers at the same checkpoint don't even know the rules.

The x-ray operator at MSY this morning stopped on my bag and made me take out a digital still camera (don't see that on the list.) Then, she ran re-ran the bag through with a GPS, iPod, portable hard drive, camera strobe and power supplies inside.

In another line, I hear a TSA'er screaming that everything electronic has to be taken out for screening.

I feel so much safer now--not.
Old Aug 4, 07, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
TSA'ers at the same checkpoint don't even know the rules.

The x-ray operator at MSY this morning stopped on my bag and made me take out a digital still camera (don't see that on the list.) Then, she ran re-ran the bag through with a GPS, iPod, portable hard drive, camera strobe and power supplies inside.

In another line, I hear a TSA'er screaming that everything electronic has to be taken out for screening.
This is one of the msot disgusting aspects of the new policy... and if you try to argue with a TSO or even a supe, I will almost guarantee you will get one of:
  • "You don't know the policy."
  • "The policy has changed."
  • "It's my discretion what has to come out and what doesn't."
  • "Do you want to fly today?"

I have gotten the first two of those very frequently when arguing some bit of policy. I used to point out the 1" shoe rule when ordered to remove 1/2" sandals, and was always told that the "policy had changed" or that I "didn't know" the policy--even when some moat dragons refused to allow me to go through the WTMD with them on (not even with a secondary!), with one raising the "Do you want to fly today?" issue.

Supes almost always back the TSO, regardless of the real policy. And if you try to complain to the TSA, you get a form letter back, often which has nothing to do with the issue you submitted. No accountability, and SSI and "consistent inconsistency to keep the terrorists on their toes" to hide behind.
Old Aug 4, 07, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I believe what we're seeing here today are many TSA checkpoint staff who were recently "trained" on a new blanket electronics-out policy, and have had the rules amended at the very last minute.
Old Aug 4, 07, 1:16 pm

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Mama don't want no terminal dumps around here

Originally Posted by Oxb View Post
I have a big bag of misc transistors, ICs, resistors etc somewhere in the basement. Maybe I should take it with me next time. I need to clean out the basement anyway
Just make sure you do not forget and pack it next to your lunch if lunch happens to be a block of cheese.
Old Aug 4, 07, 1:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
editied to add:it's on the tsa website but someone got really lazy as it's on the bototm of tha page announcing that lighters are now ok as a carry-on item.

(http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm)
Lazy?! I doubt it. Deliberately obfuscatory more like it. Announcement of the lighter-ban lift was broadcast far and wide by the TSA's public disinformation machine -- c'mon, it was top story on NBC's Nightly News the very same day!!!

No, if they really wanted this know "for our safety and protection," they would have set off the klaxons.

This simply and absolutely stinks of asinine maneuvering.
Old Aug 4, 07, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
This is one of the msot disgusting aspects of the new policy... and if you try to argue with a TSO or even a supe, I will almost guarantee you will get one of:
This hits the core why I hate the TSA.

I'm all for safety, but when you as a TSA policy compliant traveler get mistreated by the TSA without recourse, it makes one's blood boil.
Old Aug 4, 07, 4:05 pm

Flying Tuesday, and I'm DEFINITELY bringing a copy of the "rules" from the TSA website, just in case some screener feels like changing the rules.
Old Aug 4, 07, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
I believe what we're seeing here today are many TSA checkpoint staff who were recently "trained" on a new blanket electronics-out policy, and have had the rules amended at the very last minute.
Perhaps, but that's no excuse for incompetence or making up the rules as they go along.
Old Aug 4, 07, 4:13 pm

After reading the TSA's official statement...where do regular (non video) digital cameras come in?? Are they still considered "small".
Old Aug 4, 07, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by DL4EVR View Post
After reading the TSA's official statement...where do regular (non video) digital cameras come in?? Are they still considered "small".
I don't see where the policy as stated on their website speaks to that. It is definitely not a camera that uses a cassette, such as a video camera.

Yet, an MSY screener made me take a DSLR camera out of the bag today. But, hey, once again it looks like they are making up the rules as they go along. So it may depend on what airport, who's working that day and the alignment of the planets.
Old Aug 4, 07, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by exerda View Post

I have gotten the first two of those very frequently when arguing some bit of policy. I used to point out the 1" shoe rule when ordered to remove 1/2" sandals, and was always told that the "policy had changed" or that I "didn't know" the policy--even when some moat dragons refused to allow me to go through the WTMD with them on (not even with a secondary!), with one raising the "Do you want to fly today?" issue.

Supes almost always back the TSO, regardless of the real policy. And if you try to complain to the TSA, you get a form letter back, often which has nothing to do with the issue you submitted. No accountability, and SSI and "consistent inconsistency to keep the terrorists on their toes" to hide behind.
"You don't know the policy."
excuse me, please read this <pulling out applicable tsa printouts>

"The policy has changed."
yes, i know it did as of <in this case> august 4th, 2007. please read what i just handed you.

"It's my discretion what has to come out and what doesn't."
with all due respect, that it is incorrect.

"Do you want to fly today?"
yes i do. would you please bring over your supervisor, the tsa terminal manager, the groud service coordinator for <airline name> and a member of local law enforcement please <pause, pause, pause>. and i mean RIGHT NOW!

the last part will work-trust me just allow for extra time so you don't miss your flight. be firm but polite-being polite is the key
Old Aug 4, 07, 5:00 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by DL4EVR View Post
Flying Tuesday, and I'm DEFINITELY bringing a copy of the "rules" from the TSA website, just in case some screener feels like changing the rules.
I tried that when the all shoes must come off policy was directly contradicted on the web site, and I produced a dated, time stamped screen print of the TSA web site. A supervisor (ORD T2) came over after the screener summoned him, he looked at the printout and after realizing that the TSA's web site said something totally opposite from him, he said "Do you want to fly today?"

I THREW my shoes into the X-ray, look at the supervisor and said "Which is more difficult for you to come by, sir? Sex or an original thought?" The guy glared at me like he was gonna paste me in the jaw, I was already to ask him to step outside, and I got through after a retaliatory secondary.

--PP

Last edited by VideoPaul; Aug 7, 07 at 1:35 am
Old Aug 4, 07, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
"You don't know the policy."
excuse me, please read this <pulling out applicable tsa printouts>

"The policy has changed."
yes, i know it did as of <in this case> august 4th, 2007. please read what i just handed you.
Ah, but the classic response to that is, "The policy has changed, and the Website is wrong / hasn't been updated." Of course the policy has changed, and of course it's "secret" that it did / what the "real" policy is--they're playing the fake SSI trump card.

"It's my discretion what has to come out and what doesn't."
with all due respect, that it is incorrect.
I've had a TSO respond to that with, "Sir, you do not know our policies." See, they go back to the "you don't know, and we can't tell you because it's SSI" bit when you challenge them on any point they are incorrect on.

"Do you want to fly today?"
yes i do. would you please bring over your supervisor, the tsa terminal manager, the groud service coordinator for <airline name> and a member of local law enforcement please <pause, pause, pause>. and i mean RIGHT NOW!
I am hopeful the last bit will work. I would still worry that, at many airports, the LEO is going to come over and ask why you are disrupting the checkpoint, tell you to just cooperate, etc.
Old Aug 4, 07, 5:21 pm

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
3 have a rollaboard suitcase full of scrap comm equipment. Dealing with the TSA is going to be fun tomorrow. If anyone is a few minutes late at EWR tomorrow maybe it was my backing up stuff. to any such nonsense from the DHS/TSA again.
Old Aug 4, 07, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
I apologize in advance to anyone stuck behind me in line. My job requires I travel with a lot of gear:
  • 2 or 3 Laptops
  • Universal adapter for first laptop and gear
  • 1 or 2 additional laptop power bricks for the other laptops
  • VGA switching device
  • 3 or 4 VGA cables
  • Pocket PC/Phone
  • Power strip
  • USB-powered ethernet switch
  • 3 self-coiling ethernet cables
  • Bluetooth headset
  • Pocket GPS receiver
  • Glo-Toob light
  • Backup copies of 3 or more laptop disks
  • iPod
  • Sennheiser Headphones
  • Digital Camera
  • USB webcam

All of this fits into a single backpack that passes everybody's standards for carry-on... but it's going to suck to be me if I have to dump that bag every time I pass through security.
You won't.

Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Is each electronic device going to be required to be in its own bin? I can see the fun start now when some dolt screener makes me take every electronic item out and insists that each one is in its own bin. As it is, I've been told I can't even put a coin or two in with my laptop.
How many DVD players/Playstations/XBOX's do you carry?

Anyone even read the article?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: