FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All electronics must be removed from bag.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 3:42 pm
goalie
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by exerda
This is one of the msot disgusting aspects of the new policy... and if you try to argue with a TSO or even a supe, I will almost guarantee you will get one of:
  • "You don't know the policy."
  • "The policy has changed."
  • "It's my discretion what has to come out and what doesn't."
  • "Do you want to fly today?"

I have gotten the first two of those very frequently when arguing some bit of policy. I used to point out the 1" shoe rule when ordered to remove 1/2" sandals, and was always told that the "policy had changed" or that I "didn't know" the policy--even when some moat dragons refused to allow me to go through the WTMD with them on (not even with a secondary!), with one raising the "Do you want to fly today?" issue.

Supes almost always back the TSO, regardless of the real policy. And if you try to complain to the TSA, you get a form letter back, often which has nothing to do with the issue you submitted. No accountability, and SSI and "consistent inconsistency to keep the terrorists on their toes" to hide behind.
"You don't know the policy."
excuse me, please read this <pulling out applicable tsa printouts>

"The policy has changed."
yes, i know it did as of <in this case> august 4th, 2007. please read what i just handed you.

"It's my discretion what has to come out and what doesn't."
with all due respect, that it is incorrect.

"Do you want to fly today?"
yes i do. would you please bring over your supervisor, the tsa terminal manager, the groud service coordinator for <airline name> and a member of local law enforcement please <pause, pause, pause>. and i mean RIGHT NOW!

the last part will work-trust me just allow for extra time so you don't miss your flight. be firm but polite-being polite is the key