All electronics must be removed from bag.

Old Sep 3, 07, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikey1003 View Post
Sometimes I think things are being made up here
Believe me, none of this is being made up.

I've only flown once since the new rules, without incident (fortuantely), though I have many flights coming up next month. The "all electronics out" nonsense did happen to my boss at ATL on his way back from a trip to brief someone at the CDC on our work.
Old Sep 3, 07, 10:19 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I've been traveling in Europe since July 1, mercifully far from the grasp of the idiotic TSA and its policies. Don't have time to read this entire thread, but the few pages I've gone through seem to indicate that the actual rule applies to things like PSPs, but TSA screeners are using their "power" to make people remove things like iPods, mobiles, etc.

Is that about right? I'd like to know what to expect when I return to the US in a few months. Oh, the joys of air travel in the States.
Old Sep 3, 07, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite, etc, etc, etc
With the bad, there is also good

To be fair, my wife and I are sitting at Tucson, Arizona airport right now. The TSA folks here we INCREDIBLY nice, polite, professional and just...well... personable.

I commented to the supervisor that I was very impressed with the TUS TSA staff and asked if there were any comment cards.... Funny, and sad, statement on the TSA.... the guy went through his filing cabinet and could not find one for a compliment.... he had plenty of "things went wrong" forms... and no "we did a good job" forms....

Oh, and the external hard drives that were the subject of so much concern to the BOS TSA....went through with no problems..... as did all the digital cameras, etc...

So.... Way to go TUS TSA!!!! They are the only ones that I do not dread...
Old Sep 3, 07, 1:32 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by bzbdavid View Post
Y'know, I agree. I think it's the city though. I've never EVER had a bad experience in Tucson with anything... and when I call AA and get a Tucson AAgent, it's a great experience.

I really like that city
Old Sep 3, 07, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sydneysider View Post
I've been traveling in Europe since July 1, mercifully far from the grasp of the idiotic TSA and its policies. Don't have time to read this entire thread, but the few pages I've gone through seem to indicate that the actual rule applies to things like PSPs, but TSA screeners are using their "power" to make people remove things like iPods, mobiles, etc.

Is that about right? I'd like to know what to expect when I return to the US in a few months. Oh, the joys of air travel in the States.
Large electronics only - DVD Players, Xboxes, laptops, video cameras that use cassettes (have always come out).

Anyone who is demanding that people remove all electronics is a very confused individual...
Old Sep 3, 07, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Dia
I have to add a quick PS to this... one of the TSO's had a young man pulled aside - obvious newbie flyer and he had all kinds of liquid stuff - gels etc all full sized. She was explaining the "liquids" rules in a kind and quiet manner - none of the bullying we see so often. He moaned a little when she took the toothpaste since it was a new tube. She said "Yeah I know, I'm sorry!"

I still don't agree with the whole concept but at least they were very polite about it. Makes the medicine go down a whole lot smoother. Tucson is our 'home port' though we don't get there very often. Nice to see they can do an ugly job without being ugly dispositioned.
Originally Posted by bzbdavid View Post
To be fair, my wife and I are sitting at Tucson, Arizona airport right now. The TSA folks here we INCREDIBLY nice, polite, professional and just...well... personable.

I commented to the supervisor that I was very impressed with the TUS TSA staff and asked if there were any comment cards.... Funny, and sad, statement on the TSA.... the guy went through his filing cabinet and could not find one for a compliment.... he had plenty of "things went wrong" forms... and no "we did a good job" forms....

Oh, and the external hard drives that were the subject of so much concern to the BOS TSA....went through with no problems..... as did all the digital cameras, etc...

Old Sep 10, 07, 9:30 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
When going through the TSA line on July 31st, I was told that I would have to take my cpap machine out the next time through, as the rules were changing. Sounds like it's an across the board electronics thang.
Same-same today in Dayton. Female agent was nice enough about it, but she did flatly state all CPAPs must come out of their bags. No comment from her or the xray operator concerning my camera, phone or iPod.
Old Sep 11, 07, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta DM
Went thru BOS on Saturday, didn't have to empty my bags for TSA, and was greatful for that since it was 5am! Must be hit and miss there.
Old Sep 20, 07, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA1K 2MM and more
Angry Did it today at JFK

Since this new rule went into effect, I've flown *at least* seven RTs all on UAL. My home airport is LAX. Lately I've had to carry three laptops, an external hard drive or two, plus all my usual stuff (camera, router, iPod, cell phone, etc).

I've had trips to SEA, BOS, and last week JFK. Not once have I been asked to remove anything besides my laptops (my cell is 99% of the time in my front pocket so I throw it in with my shoes).

Today at 6am at JFK Terminal 7 getting ready to return home to LAX and I was told by the TSA rep in the Employee line (they didn't have the normal priority line open so I was redirected there) that I had to remove everything. I gave up (I had more stuff than usual) and just did a secondary screening. I didn't know anything about this and poked at the TSA folks. They said it's supposed to be SOP at all locations for over a month.

What a PITA. To be clear out of LAX on 9/15, I only put my three laptops in bins. Nothing else. <sigh>

Search this Thread
Search Engine: