All electronics must be removed from bag.

Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
When going through the TSA line on July 31st, I was told that I would have to take my cpap machine out the next time through, as the rules were changing. Sounds like it's an across the board electronics thang.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Looks like it's time to revamp the gadget bag Would love to hear Kip's logic behind this one.

Next we'll need pack our clean socks in one ziplock and our dirties in another.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS
Ugh Ugh Ugh. Like most other FTers, I'm very good at getting the laptop out, the shoes & belt off and magically stuffing the watch and other pocket stuffs into a bag before the line has to wait 2 seconds... however, having to take all my portable electronics out of their case would change all of that. I don't care how efficient you are, in today's world that means unpacking and repacking an entire bag. To support this they're going to need to open up every security lane in every terminal and even then.

Come to think of it, I've got devices clipped into my laptop bag (wireless signal detector, charger cables). All that would have to be reconfigured for this screening. Maybe I should stick to the train...
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Oh please let this not be true. My last itinerary had me going through security twice. I had two bags, both of which were almost entirely filled with electronics. All electronics out, all liquids out. Why should we even have baggage? When will more people start shipping themselves?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:26 pm

This just makes me wonder...what is the purpose of the X-Ray machine?? Obviously it doesn't see anything.

Do they just have so much staff that they need the electronics rummagers?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by LessO2
According to this article, all electronics will have to come out.

Get ready for longer lines.

Good job Kip. I feel safer already.
The article says changes are for DVD players and Playstation-type objects. Mobile phones, mp3 players, etc. are NOT affected!
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:48 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
From the article:

The policy recommendation came from a front line security officer who screens passengers every day who observed that game consoles and DVD players are complex devices much like laptop computers. This change brings more uniformity to their policy.

Of course this guys logic makes sense in a way (if there's a valid reason for screening laptops separately) but why didn't he keep his mouth shut?

Let's hope the EU doesn't implement this.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The article says changes are for DVD players and Playstation-type objects. Mobile phones, mp3 players, etc. are NOT affected!
Well, obviously it changed. It certainly didn't say that when it was first posted. You can look at the article to see the modification time.

This now sounds like a reaction to the Long Beach incident last week.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Now come on read the article! You had me freaking out for a minute until I read it. Actually the article mentions full sized video game players will be added to the list of items that need to be removed. However it specifically says that cell phones & Ipods are not included.
We carry a lot of electronics - 2 laptops, 2 external HD's, 2 ipods, 2 SLR cameras w/ 4 lenses, small video camera (that I never unpack even though I'm supposed to), 4 cellphones, GPS, and a neat receipts scanner - all neatly packed in 2 bags - a laptop bag and camera case backpack. We've only had 1 person actually look in the backpack which is loaded with wires, chargers and weird looking stuff.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by LessO2
Well, obviously it changed. It certainly didn't say that when it was first posted. You can look at the article to see the modification time.

This now sounds like a reaction to the Long Beach incident last week.
No doubt. Entirely possible the Sooper-Geniuses @ TSA-HQ "floated" the idea, and pulled back when station managers reported that such a move would cause near-riots at checkpoints (on top of nit-picking at liquids). There is a straw somewhere, and the TSA may have lucked out avoiding it ... this time.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
H o n e s t l y.

I go back and forth from home to college, from coast to coast. Its a hassle already to have to remove my laptop because I have so much stuff.

Points Scrounger, yes looks like TSA lucked out with the straw this time... they're getting tediously close to the line, though.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JakiChan
So for me that will mean:

Laptop
iPod
phone
PSP
DSLite
Camera

at the very least. Yeah, that is an "enhancement". It will enhance the pockets of thieves who steal your electronics. It will not improve security.
From what I read it does NOT include small electronics, like i-pods, PSP, phones and cameras. Only "full size DVD players" and other large electronics.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:44 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
I apologize in advance to anyone stuck behind me in line. My job requires I travel with a lot of gear:
  • 2 or 3 Laptops
  • Universal adapter for first laptop and gear
  • 1 or 2 additional laptop power bricks for the other laptops
  • VGA switching device
  • 3 or 4 VGA cables
  • Pocket PC/Phone
  • Power strip
  • USB-powered ethernet switch
  • 3 self-coiling ethernet cables
  • Bluetooth headset
  • Pocket GPS receiver
  • Glo-Toob light
  • Backup copies of 3 or more laptop disks
  • iPod
  • Sennheiser Headphones
  • Digital Camera
  • USB webcam

All of this fits into a single backpack that passes everybody's standards for carry-on... but it's going to suck to be me if I have to dump that bag every time I pass through security.

Last edited by sinanju; Aug 4, 2007 at 4:16 pm Reason: Forgot a couple of items.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
The only people who need to apologize are the inept idiots who make these stupid requirements. The rest of us should pack more electronics.

Originally Posted by sinanju
I apologize in advance to anyone stuck behind me in line. My job requires I travel with a lot of gear:
  • 2 or 3 Laptops
  • Universal adapter for first laptop and gear
  • 1 or 2 additional laptop power bricks for the other laptops
  • VGA switching device
  • 3 or 4 VGA cables
  • Pocket PC/Phone
  • Power strip
  • USB-powered ethernet switch
  • 3 self-coiling ethernet cables
  • Bluetooth headset
  • Pocket GPS receiver
  • Glo-Toob light
  • Backup copies of 3 laptop disks
  • iPod
  • Sennheiser Headphones

All of this fits into a single backpack that passes everybody's standards for carry-on... but it's going to suck to be me if I have to dump that bag every time I pass through security.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:49 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Happy Anniversary, TSA! It was one year ago, Aug. 10, 2006, you gave us the liquid ban. I knew you wouldn't let a year go by without some form of a celebration!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.