Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All electronics must be removed from bag.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by vassilipan
That's one airport out of how many?
Make it two. BNA was doing it right yesterday afternoon.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
perhaps this natch.net story from a couple of weeks ago is in another FT thread, but it's hilarious.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pixpixpix
perhaps this natch.net story from a couple of weeks ago is in another FT thread, but it's hilarious.
Wow! That guy had a whole lot more patience than I do!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
They pulled a switcheroo on the rules at the very last minute on a Friday afternoon (to repeat: I believe they fully intended all electronics up 'til then - which is what station staffs were told to expect). When the M - F 9 - 5 bureaucrats in DC get back, we'll see an URGENT "clarification memo" (or somesuch) to all stations on the exact (largely-retracted) policy.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: TSA
I can tell you that 8/4 sucked. We had wait lines of 48 minutes all day long. Passengers were really pissed off about the new liquid enforcement. Here is the info on the electronics stuff:
Video Game Consoles
Effective August 4, 2007, full-size video game consoles (for example Playstation, X-box, or Nintendo) and DVD players must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Laptop computers and video cameras that use cassettes have long been subject to this policy.

Small electronic items, such as cell phones, MP3 players, iPods and portable video game systems do not have to be removed from their carrying cases.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by eyecue
Passengers were really pissed off about the new liquid enforcement.
huh?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by CPRich
How many DVD players/Playstations/XBOX's do you carry?

Anyone even read the article?
I read the article. I also read that a few people have been asked to remove every piece of electronics in their carryon.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
God, we do not stand a chance against a bunch of loonies stuck in the 1100's if this is our government's response to "intelligence".

BTW, July 25, coming home from Las Vegas, my wife and I were flagged for SSSS. We made the mistake of changing our flight from a one-stop to direct on the same airline the morning we flew home. I asked the ticket agent to remove the SSSS, but she said she could not. I guess that is my fault for not flying enough to maintain status on AA. At the checkpoint, TSA pulled my MP3 player, laptop, Blackberry, cell phone, and personal CD player for the swab test. Way to go, TSA.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
God, we do not stand a chance against a bunch of loonies stuck in the 1100's if this is our government's response to "intelligence".

BTW, July 25, coming home from Las Vegas, my wife and I were flagged for SSSS. We made the mistake of changing our flight from a one-stop to direct on the same airline the morning we flew home. I asked the ticket agent to remove the SSSS, but she said she could not. I guess that is my fault for not flying enough to maintain status on AA. At the checkpoint, TSA pulled my MP3 player, laptop, Blackberry, cell phone, and personal CD player for the swab test. Way to go, TSA.
At that time, I'm certain all electronics was the mantra being drummed into workers' heads.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
At that time, I'm certain all electronics was the mantra being drummed into workers' heads.
Exactly. After all, what law-abiding citizen would travel with all of that electronic gear?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: Burrito Elito
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
At the checkpoint, TSA pulled my MP3 player, laptop, Blackberry, cell phone, and personal CD player for the swab test. Way to go, TSA.

That's par for the course for SSSS. See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...74#post8061674
Old Aug 5, 2007, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by cordileran
That's par for the course for SSSS. See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...74#post8061674

Quite some time had passed since airlines had pulled the SSSS stupidity on me. I was surpirsed that TSA did not pat me down. I guess it was too busy swabbing.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
When going through the TSA line on July 31st, I was told that I would have to take my cpap machine out the next time through, as the rules were changing. Sounds like it's an across the board electronics thang.
Last night going through security in AMA, I did have to take my CPAP out of my rollaboard. I actually left it in my rollaboard, and the x-ray worker asked if I had a CPAP in my luggage. I replied I did, and she said that with the new rules, the CPAP must come out but no longer must be swabbed.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:17 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
huh?
TSA doesnt have to afford you the opportunity to repackage your liquids if you leave them in your bag. You can either leave the checkpoint and try it yourself or the liquids go in the trash.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyecue
TSA doesnt have to afford you the opportunity to repackage your liquids if you leave them in your bag. You can either leave the checkpoint and try it yourself or the liquids go in the trash.
Wait.

What you're saying is that if someone has their .85 oz. tube of toothpaste in a bag, you either confiscate it, or send them to the back of the line. They are not allowed to simply get a plastic bag and go?

Is that the way it is now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.