Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All electronics must be removed from bag.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
BOS this morning. Short version is ALL ELECTONICS out - and I mean ALL.
The long version:
Barker says laptops and video cameras. Go through the xray and a snotty TSA agent on the other end chastises us for not taking ALL electronics out of the bag. He looks at my husband and says in a very exasperated tone and says obviously the word ELECTRONICS didn't register with you and points to the blackberry which is in the outside pocket. When my husband offered to remove the external hard drive, the agent snaps at him, "DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!" Then adds "This is going to take a while"... Obvious punishment. So it took a VERY long while with 3 agents going through two laptop/camera bags and removing absolutely everything. Ipods, cell phones, chargers, cords...everything. The whole time one of the male agents was saying that they did not need to do that and not to swab the bag. I agreed with him and the female agent told me that it had all changed as of Aug 4 and that ALL electronics had to be removed - I told her that their webpage did not reflect that as of last night. Still they persisted and pawed through everything including dumping the contents of my jewelry bag. Even took the body cap off the digital cameras and peered through the site finders (and was concerned when she couldn't see out of it - DUH you can't see out of it until you turn it on...) Also removed every lens from it's cloth bag and dumped it all into a bin (none too gently) then walked it all back through the xray. The whole time we're watching them like a hawk but there is no way to see them around all the other people. I am very disturbed by this as it would be so easy for someone to grab something and stick it in their pocket. Then of course we had to pack it all back up again - trying to hurry but trying to do a quick inventory and make sure it was all there. Nerve wracking...

By the way last week same time, same channel... no problem. Argh!
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
The long version:
Barker says laptops and video cameras. Go through the xray and a snotty TSA agent on the other end chastises us for not taking ALL electronics out of the bag. He looks at my husband and says in a very exasperated tone and says obviously the word ELECTRONICS didn't register with you and points to the blackberry which is in the outside pocket. When my husband offered to remove the external hard drive, the agent snaps at him, "DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!" Then adds "This is going to take a while"... Obvious punishment. So it took a VERY long while with 3 agents going through two laptop/camera bags and removing absolutely everything. Ipods, cell phones, chargers, cords...everything. The whole time one of the male agents was saying that they did not need to do that and not to swab the bag. I agreed with him and the female agent told me that it had all changed as of Aug 4 and that ALL electronics had to be removed - I told her that their webpage did not reflect that as of last night. Still they persisted and pawed through everything including dumping the contents of my jewelry bag. Even took the body cap off the digital cameras and peered through the site finders (and was concerned when she couldn't see out of it - DUH you can't see out of it until you turn it on...) Also removed every lens from it's cloth bag and dumped it all into a bin (none too gently) then walked it all back through the xray. The whole time we're watching them like a hawk but there is no way to see them around all the other people. I am very disturbed by this as it would be so easy for someone to grab something and stick it in their pocket. Then of course we had to pack it all back up again - trying to hurry but trying to do a quick inventory and make sure it was all there. Nerve wracking...

Be sure to file a complaint to the FSD and your airlines GSC to let them know about this horrible treatment.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:35 pm

Electronic removal

I just joined the forum and tried to go through this thread, so if this was covered before I apologize in advance.

The type of electronics to be removed seems to depend soley on the TSA Agent. I go though PHX weekly and every check in line has been different. Two of the gates in Terminal 4 did not mention anything about electronics. The Gate in terminal 3 said anything larger then your hand which had an on - off switch. During the same time frame Dallas, San Diego and LAX did not mention anything outside of laptops and video cameras.

On another forum I visit one professional photographer had 30 tubs filled, each item had to be in a seperate tub, before they said stop.

TSA's web site does not even mention the New Rules.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:41 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
The long version:

No issue at BOS - A this afternoon about 2 PM. What terminal at BOS did you go thru?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
ANC last night around 7:30PM, no announcements about electronics at all. I put my keys, cell phone & watch in one of the big gray bins, pushed it INTO the X-Ray machine & went through security. Miracles do happen. When it came out, the big gray bin had turned into a small round one. TSA took the time to move my stuff from the big bin to a small bowl after I pushed it into the machine. What a joke!!!!

My daughter's DVD player, headphones etc. sailed through as originally packed.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by stc
No issue at BOS - A this afternoon about 2 PM. What terminal at BOS did you go thru?
The one that American is in... B? I think it is...
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
ANC last night around 7:30PM, no announcements about electronics at all. I put my keys, cell phone & watch in one of the big gray bins, pushed it INTO the X-Ray machine & went through security. Miracles do happen. When it came out, the big gray bin had turned into a small round one. TSA took the time to move my stuff from the big bin to a small bowl after I pushed it into the machine. What a joke!!!!

My daughter's DVD player, headphones etc. sailed through as originally packed.
If I recall correctly one of the policies or regulations of the TSA is that they must advise you when they handle your property. Clearly, as this metamorphosis of big bin to small bin has never been documented as a miracle in either the old or the new Testament (or Koran for that matter, but maybe we shouldn't go there), there was probably homo sapien intervention. I suppose like everything else TSA does it is subject to the agent's personal interpretation.

I recall when the x-ray machines were first introduced the objects had to clear the output side before property could be recycled for a second screening. This would afford the passenger an opportunity to see if their property were being tampered with.

About a year or so ago I noticed that there is a cut out just in front of the operator from which objects can be removed prior to exiting the conveyor. Does anyone know if this was a change in the equipment and why?

Could this be a security enhancement? But whose security? I have noticed an increase in, as explained to me misplaced property, of late. Is it me or is it only that paranoid people also have enemies.

Stay the curse!
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:49 am

My Dad pointed out something I hadn't thought of before... xraying the hard-drives, cameras etc doesn't show them any more out of the bag than in it... right? So why do they run them all back through the xray after they make you unload all the crap?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Been through CVG, DAY, BWI, PHL and IAD since 8-4

Only had to remove computer. I carry Blackberry, Ipod, Garmin and a TENS Unit. None were questioned or rescanned.

Came home from office this week with a carry-on full of miniature electronics..ActiPatch samples...Nada

Sometimes I think things are being made up here
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:41 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
My Dad pointed out something I hadn't thought of before... xraying the hard-drives, cameras etc doesn't show them any more out of the bag than in it... right? So why do they run them all back through the xray after they make you unload all the crap?
It's actually the LCD screens. Something behind an LCD screen will not show up on the XRAY.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by stc
It's actually the LCD screens. Something behind an LCD screen will not show up on the XRAY.
Ok... but does it show up any better the 2nd time through the Xray? and yet they run it through again.......
Old Sep 1, 2007, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003
Been through CVG, DAY, BWI, PHL and IAD since 8-4

Only had to remove computer. I carry Blackberry, Ipod, Garmin and a TENS Unit. None were questioned or rescanned.

Came home from office this week with a carry-on full of miniature electronics..ActiPatch samples...Nada

Sometimes I think things are being made up here
Your day will come if you fly very much.... and believe me it's a PITA
Old Sep 1, 2007, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Your day will come if you fly very much.... and believe me it's a PITA
At least twice...sometimes 3-4 times a week....Is that very much??
Old Sep 2, 2007, 8:22 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
I’ve just stumbled onto this thread today & I’m simply stunned with what I’ve read.

I’m speechless & words simply fail me in an attempt to describe the stupidity of this new rule. The hassle, torment & sheer drama that this must cause is unimaginable

In future I think I’m going to “turn right” & head East when leaving Ireland on our holidays & limit our trips to the U.S. to an absolute minimum. Despite the U.S. being our favourite holiday destination. I just hope that this madness doesn’t fester it’s way over here in Europe.

Thankfully I don’t have to travel by air for my work & therefore can choose where & when to fly. I feel so sorry for all you “Road Warriors” who have to endure the realities of air travel in the U.S. every week. I cannot imagine what you have to go through & you have my sympathies.

I’m shooting my cousin’s wedding in Virginia next May & having read this thread I’m already dreading the return journey through U.S. security with all my camera gear
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by mikey1003
At least twice...sometimes 3-4 times a week....Is that very much??
Depends on if it's through the same airports all the time. As has been mentioned in previous posts some do some don't and even then it's inconsistant within terminals and at different times. Last week BOS was no problem, this week it was the Full Monty.

Also we carry a lot of gear aside from basic computer stuff - GPS, 2 SLR cameras w/lenses, video camera (CD not tape), etc etc etc.... though what seems to be setting them off is the 2 extra hard drives which we may remove tomorrow just to see if that calms them down. I hate to accomodate but it takes too d@mn long to get it all back in the bag the right way.

My point was - just because it hasn't happened to you yet don't assume that it won't and that other people are making things up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.