Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All electronics must be removed from bag.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL4EVR
Is it disturbing anyone else that now they're letting their SCREENERS of all people make decisions to be rolled out systemwide??? Isn't that what we have the "experts" (and I use that term extremely loosely) for??

I doubt it.

I think that's code for the idiot screener who screamed fire in a theater at Long Beach. He/she probably said something to the effect of "well they should be put in bins" to a response of an internal TSA investigation.

Hence, likely where this brilliant idea was hatched.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Enhancement?!?!?!?

I think somebody should "enhance" Kawley's face.

What are those helicopters doing flying over my house?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This will be effective at 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 4... TSA will require travelers to remove "large electronics" including "large" video games, video cameras, DVD players and CD players from their carryon and place them in trays for inspection. Thanks for the warning, Kipper - now how much you want to bet that at the stroke of midnight all the screeners will be in accord as to which mini-DV cams, games, etc. can be left in carryon, which must be removed?

See http://www.portseattle.org/seatac/ to see what SEA says - and think how you can avoid hassles this weekend, by not carrying "large electronics" in your carry-on, being prepared and being aware many summer travelers will probably cause queue backups with this sudden new rule.

Do you feel safe yet?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:38 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
But but but....think of the children!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
I have always removed my DVD player from my carry-on. Without fail, if I leave it in my bag, the bag is pulled for additional screening, searching, swabs, etc. In BOS earlier this year, I felt like testing this theory again and Bingo! My bag was pulled aside again. Usually, the TSO watching the passengers fill up the bins will have a comment like "Sir you can leave that in your bag", but I will just smile and say I prefer to have it in a bin.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by jonesing
But but but....think of the children!
I believe they are thinking of the children with this derective being so close to the Christmas season.

By placing your "large" electronic devices in your checked in baggage, although much of it is not covered by the airlines (misplaced items) theft policy, you will be doing your fellow travelers a favor by not unnecessarily delaying the security lines. In addition you might make a child of a person working at the airport very happy for Christmas. And, think of all the time you yourself can save by not having to pack and unpack these potentially misplaced items at your destination, and for your return.

On the lighter side, and as I have noted and requested before, it is my personal experience that misplacing belongings has increased with increased security, both carry on and checked baggage. Many other flyer friends I speak with have the following feeling. I have repeatedly tried to obtain statistics on thefts from various Government agencies without success. Does anyone know where I might find such statistics covering the past few years? Perhaps the solution to the increase in percieved theft would be to increase the number of security people.

In closing I am left with two miscellaneous comments:

1) Why when a Government agency does something, that on the face of it appears stupid, they often say it is based on intelligence. Duh?

2) What is large electronic device - Greater than 3 oz net wt.?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down

Eventually, we'll be flying with no carry-ons while clothed in only our underwear.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:08 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Damnit... I actually fly with a Nintendo Wii on occasion.

Thank god for Fedex.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sailman
By placing your "large" electronic devices in your checked in baggage, although much of it is not covered by the airlines (misplaced items) theft policy, you will be doing your fellow travelers a favor by not unnecessarily delaying the security lines. In addition you might make a child of a person working at the airport very happy for Christmas. And, think of all the time you yourself can save by not having to pack and unpack these potentially misplaced items at your destination, and for your return.
What's going to happen is a ruder awakening than the liquid nonsense.

There are TSAers in here that are aghast that there are still people who do not know or adhere to the liquid policy. Those people not following the liquid nonsense guidelines are mostly adults.

Now you're going to toss kids and young adults in there? Good luck.

It's not going to bring the lines to a screeching halt, but it sure isn't going to speed them up either.

In closing I am left with two miscellaneous comments:

1) Why when a Government agency does something, that on the face of it appears stupid, they often say it is based on intelligence. Duh?
Because that way, The G doesn't have to be held accountable. They can hide behind SSI and not face public questioning and/or scorn.

If you think this (or 2004) is/was bad, wait until next year. Two words for that: general elections.

2) What is large electronic device - Greater than 3 oz net wt.?
I'm sure that'll be left to the arbitrary rules set up at your local checkpoint, citizen.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
LessO2 is on the money: On FT-AA, a flier posted ALL his electronics had to come out of the bag and into the tray - as stated "cell phones, ipods, laptops, projectors, digicams, camcorders,.....everything."

What a %$@!@** pleasure - I usually fly with a notebook computer, mini-projector, phone, chargers, camera, cables, USB hub, etc. etc.

Don't be surprised some will opt for not having to decide what comprises "large electronics" and go for it all, or for arbitrariness. You know the drill - "Yessir, yessir, three bags full." Whatever. Getting there is half the fun; yeah, sure.

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
The agency also clarified an earlier press release to say that small electronic items, such as cell phones, MP3 players, iPods and portable video game systems do not have to be removed from their carrying cases.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It really must rattle and frustrate any potential hijackers trying to keep up with the constantly changing DHS rules. Three cheers for Kip Hawley.

MisterNice
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:24 am

Lesso2 -"There are TSAers in here that are aghast that there are still people who do not know or adhere to the liquid policy. Those people not following the liquid nonsense guidelines are mostly adults."

Whenever I have an issue with liquids or solids, for that matter, it has been my experience that it is the TSA agent that is unfamiliar with the rules. Even when I show them definitions from third party sources, they are unconvinced. I shutter to think that illiteracy plays a part in their ignorance.

Fact, there is a difference between a liquid ounce and a weight ounce.

Fact, 100 ml does not 3 oz liquid make.

Until the Department of weights and measures redefines the International standards, I must again, based on my experience, place the burden of ignorance where it belongs. Although I do agree that the children will further complicate the security screening procedure, it is because the children that I know also know the difference between a liquid and solid measure, and the conversion of metric to imperial or the other way around.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Is each electronic device going to be required to be in its own bin? I can see the fun start now when some dolt screener makes me take every electronic item out and insists that each one is in its own bin. As it is, I've been told I can't even put a coin or two in with my laptop.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:56 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Billiken
Eventually, we'll be flying with no carry-ons while clothed in only our underwear.
What makes you think that we will be allowed to keep the underwear?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:35 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
this is total damage control to the tsa screw up at lgb and par for the course.....it's now august 4th and there is no mention of this on the tsa webiste (tho where the front page of the tsa's website now says that lighters are now allowed as a carry-on item the it's still listed as a no-no on thier permitted and prohibitted items list )

editied to add:it's on the tsa website but someone got really lazy as it's on the bototm of tha page announcing that lighters are now ok as a carry-on item.

(http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm)
Video Game Consoles

Effective August 4, 2007, full-size video game consoles (for example Playstation, X-box, or Nintendo) and DVD players must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Laptop computers and video cameras that use cassettes have long been subject to this policy.

Small electronic items, such as cell phones, MP3 players, iPods and portable video game systems do not have to be removed from their carrying cases.

Last edited by goalie; Aug 4, 2007 at 10:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.