Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All electronics must be removed from bag.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:34 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
MIA today, asked to remove all electronics. Argued it, got a supervisor and showed my printout. I won.

MCO later today. Nothing.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
For those experiencing the stations who "didn't get the memo" and are instructing all electronics must be removed, have you tried ignoring them to see what the consequences are?

I don't even plan to argue with the barkers. Just remove my laptop and send the rest on through. If they start to lecture me on not removing the rest, that's when I'll call the supervisor. Stupid idiots.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Heh, I wonder how this policy's bein' enforced at SMF and DCA? DCA TSO, waitin' to hear for your input on DCA... my home airport, yo.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
For those experiencing the stations who "didn't get the memo" and are instructing all electronics must be removed, have you tried ignoring them to see what the consequences are?

I don't even plan to argue with the barkers. Just remove my laptop and send the rest on through. If they start to lecture me on not removing the rest, that's when I'll call the supervisor. Stupid idiots.
I've been doing that for years with my camera and camcorder. Have never had it caught once.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA plt,Ltgold
This morning at SDF the guy was barking out instructions for all electronics out.
I just took my laptop out. My ipod was still in my laptop bag.

Didn't see this thread till this evening
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither SJC nor MFR showed anything out of the unusual today. Actually, the screener at MFR suggested I remove my belt (which was chosen for flying and has never alarmed -anywhere-) If course it alarmed in MFR.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
And also implies that somehow putting this stuff in a kippie bag makes the same "dangerous" items safe. Must be magic.

Don'cha know, the kippie bag is completely impervious to and can completely and safely contain all possible combinations of incendiary/corrosive/toxic/explosive liquids - as long as they're in <100mL containers...
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Neither SJC nor MFR showed anything out of the unusual today. Actually, the screener at MFR suggested I remove my belt (which was chosen for flying and has never alarmed -anywhere-) If course it alarmed in MFR.
So did they let you remove your belt, or, as Kippie suggested on the Today show, did that get you a secondary for alarming?

I also wonder if the moat dragon intentionally alarmed the WTMD since you refused his/her advice.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So did they let you remove your belt, or, as Kippie suggested on the Today show, did that get you a secondary for alarming?
No secondary. Just had to remove the belt and send it through the scanner.

I also wonder if the moat dragon intentionally alarmed the WTMD since you refused his/her advice.
The moat dragon was well back from the arch. This was Medford Oregon International Airport (so says the sign out front). I'm sure they just have the sensitivity cranked way up to protect the frequent Bombardier Q200 movements.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
New TSA security directive regarding electronics

Just an FYI for all of you who are going to be traveling any time soon. Seems to be another scare so the security at the checkpoints has been raised.

"Effective 12:01 a.m., Aug. 4, 2007, the TSA will implement new checkpoint security screening procedures that will require passengers to remove large electronic items (e.g., video games, and DVD and CD players), for separate screening like current procedures for laptops."
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG/Hyatt/Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
It seems like the biggest problems are not the rules themselves, but the "creative" interpretation of such rules from TSA personnel.

Unfortunately, I personally have found that arguing with people in those sort of positions, doesn't get me ahead and doesn't yield any satisfaction. I just hope that an interpretation closer to the actual rule becomes prevalent very soon.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by flyrad
It seems like the biggest problems are not the rules themselves, but the "creative" interpretation of such rules from TSA personnel.

Unfortunately, I personally have found that arguing with people in those sort of positions, doesn't get me ahead and doesn't yield any satisfaction. I just hope that an interpretation closer to the actual rule becomes prevalent very soon.
The same TSA personnel who, under the SPOT program, are to engage in behavior-based questioning. What a joke!
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by erictank
Don'cha know, the kippie bag is completely impervious to and can completely and safely contain all possible combinations of incendiary/corrosive/toxic/explosive liquids - as long as they're in <100mL containers...
And they also work great for leftovers!
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Flew Friday, everything was fine. Arrive at the airport Sunday and longer lines than normal due to this new rule. Cell phones, cell phone chargers, cameras, laptops (as alwasy)...but now their charging plugs also which is annoying, pretty much ANY electrical device.

I usually say I don't mind the wait, anything to ensure my safety first...but what's it going to be next!
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:20 am

'all electronics must be removed'

At Fort Lauderdale (FLL) terminal 1 b gates the TSA x-ray screeners were also barking 'all electronics must be removed'. I was very tempted to ask why my cellphone charger, ipod, iphone, etc somehow made it thru without detection. I'd like to hear from our wondrous TSOs how this "new & improved" system is supposed to work.

Waiting here at FLL terminal 1 B2 for the jetBlue flight to BOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.