All electronics must be removed from bag.

Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DEVIS
I got the "all electronics out" spiel on monday at DFW. Went out for a smoke, came back in and next thing you know... and oh boy do i carry electronics with me... 2 PDA phones, 1 laptop, 1 digital camera, 1 dc2ac adapter for AA powerports, 2 BT headsets, 1 mono 1 stereo, 1 set of wired headphones, USB cables, chargers for all my crap as well. And everything fits very nicely (though some initial arranging needs to be done) in my laptop bag. Yea, no bulges whatsoever
But at DFW I had to take everything out.
Being that I fly AA exclusively, I'm at DFW quite a lot. I hope this was an one off case...
And here I was hoping it was just the podunk airports that were doing that crap...
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
And here I was hoping it was just the podunk airports that were doing that crap...

Guess not... but i tell u what i want to do since I'll be in DFW on Sunday and then again on Monday. I would like to bring a printout of that page I posted and if they tell me anything i'll slap that paper in their faces. But I fear that I may be "randomly" selected for additional screening
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
We suggested she read the TSA webpage which lists the items that were included in the actual 'update' which does not include hard drives she informed us that SHE knew the rules and WE did not.
This is typical TSO-speak. If they are ignorant (deliberately or otherwise) of the rules in place, they fall back on either the above "You don't know the rules and I do, nyar nyar nyar!" line, or the infamous "The rules have changed!" one.

And, of course, since the rules are SSI, there's no real way to challenge them on such baloney. You can browse right to tsa.gov on your laptop with a supervisor, and they can still insist the rules "have changed" or that the "web page is wrong" etc.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
And I've done nearly all those things! The best technique is to summon ever-higher levels of supervisor.

Bruce
Old Aug 17, 2007, 3:28 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
............ You can browse right to tsa.gov on your laptop with a supervisor, and they can still insist the rules "have changed" or that the "web page is wrong" etc.

Of course the web page is wrong. Here is part of it:

Q. Does your lighter need to be in a baggie since it contains liquid?
A. No. TSA's common-sense approach harmonizes with worldwide standards for lighters.

Since when has the TSA demonstrated a "common-sense approach?"
Old Aug 17, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
Originally Posted by exerda
You can browse right to tsa.gov on your laptop with a supervisor, and they can still insist the rules "have changed" or that the "web page is wrong" etc.
That's why a personal correspondence from TSA, addressed to the passenger clarifying the rules up front might be helpful.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
today at sfo i/t ua side 12 noon:

no announcements, no barking, no meowing, no nothing. ^
Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:51 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
ORD T1, Security 3

Normal process. Updated barker mentioning game consoles, but no electronics carnival.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I ran across this linked in David Rowell's (The Travel Insider) weekly column, one blogger's account of taking his kit-built iPod battery charger through a TSA checkpoint at JFK.

Apologies in advance if it's previously appeared but it just caught my eye today.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by TSA
Q. Does your lighter need to be in a baggie since it contains liquid?
A. No. TSA's common-sense approach harmonizes with worldwide standards for lighters.
Wait, the TSA actually used "common sense" to describe what they do? Kip & Co. are darn, darn lucky that none of them are wooden puppets whose noses elongate with lies like that!
Old Aug 18, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM
RANT ON:::::
ATL TSA OUT OF THEIR MINDS

just got in from CPH in ATL and had to re-clear security. Didn't know that i had to take out my 5 ipods, all cables, iphone, 2 hard drives, 2 digital cameras, etc and had to go thru Secutirty TWICE (once for real and once for whatever new rules they made up). All of my bags had gone thru the x-ray once and the last bag of course had the electronics in it. They wanted me to step BACK thru and take everything out. I wasn't about to leave my laptop, shoes, and carry-on, so i TOOK Them back thru and put them on the belt to go thru again. Two bins latter they wanted to secondary one of my Digital Cameras (I insisted they put on new gloves). The guy took the camera and started walking away, I YELLED at him as to where he was going and said to come back till I WAS ready with all my stuff so it would be in view. I had well over $10,000 in equipment out on the belt waiting for someone else to pick it up and walk with it. I WAS UPSET and fuming. I asked for a supervisor and they came and said it was on the website. i asked for the link, they said "you go find it" What kind of response is that? So I have printed out the above mentioned and can't wait to show it to them tomorrow when I pass thru again, then again on Tues and then again on Thrus! Funny THing is I flew thru there 4 times last week and NOTHING of that sort was mentioned.........

Time to change my signature, this is getting out of hand....
Old Aug 18, 2007, 2:14 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
The article seems to have been updated...it says that only full-size game consoles and DVD players have to come out of their bags.

Effective Saturday, August 4th, passengers must remove all full-size video game consoles (for example Playstation, X-box, or Nintendo) and full-size DVD players from their carry ons and have them be submitted separately for X-ray screening.

The agency also clarified an earlier press release to say that small electronic items, such as cell phones, MP3 players, iPods and portable video game systems do not have to be removed from their carrying cases.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DEVIS
I got the "all electronics out" spiel on monday at DFW.
Once again, the only consistent thing about TSA is not being consistent.

They did get it right at DFW Terminal B 8/17. I took the laptop out of the super-gizmo bag and the rest--GPS, digital SLR, travel router, iPod, ear buds, power supply, backup battery, portable charger, portable hard drive, strobe, long lens, lots of cable and adapters, etc--sailed right through the x-ray.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
RANT ON:::::
ATL TSA OUT OF THEIR MINDS.
My boss flew through there last week and had the "all electronics out" rant by the TSA, but they apparently did not care that he left them in his bag. He got the two laptops he had out, and even left the LCD projector in his bag, and they didn't stop him... but they did bark and bark to everyone in earshot.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: JAL, ANA
BDL had me do it last night despite signs saying only vhs tape enabled videorecorders, full size video game consoles, laptops etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.