Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All electronics must be removed from bag.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
The agency also clarified an earlier press release to say that small electronic items, such as cell phones, MP3 players, iPods and portable video game systems do not have to be removed from their carrying cases.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:10 pm

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
This has effectively made official the policy that the TSA had previously been randomly applying to me. Take out the portable DVD player and camera along with the laptop...sometimes; other times, no need. Now, every time.

So the items to be removed will be same wherever I go, just like their other policies .
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I refuse to check bags, I travel very light, and I have made great efforts to carry only non-liquid/gel toiletries so that I do not have to go through the bother of presenting a stupid baggie. I have the entire security line process down to a fine tuned operation and I cause no delay whatsoever going through the line. My entire briefcase is jammed with well-packed electronics in individual cases for organization and the thought of having to unpack the entire thing at security ticks me off to no end. This is incredibly stupid. If this is true, it makes me want to move extremely slowly, carefully unpacking and repacking, to break the system in protest. What nonsense.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 7:03 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
I have a big bag of misc transistors, ICs, resistors etc somewhere in the basement. Maybe I should take it with me next time. I need to clean out the basement anyway
Old Aug 3, 2007, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow -- We're going to rely on the judgment of newly-badged TSO's judgements concerning what exactly is a "full-sized DVD player."

I like the idea of everyone playing dumb and taking out everything they have that's electronic, placing each one into a bin, and grinding the checkpoint to a halt. For me, that would mean, in addition to everything posters have already mentioned, my electric razor and my electric toothbrush.

By playing dumb, we could really have a lot of fun with this.

Way to go, Kippie.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: US1, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President
Clarification

By KOMO Staff
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The TSA has announced a few new security enhancements for a specific few electronics and clarified an earlier press release for about screening procedures for other electronic devices.

Effective Saturday, August 4th, passengers must remove all full-size video game consoles (for example Playstation, X-box, or Nintendo) and full-size DVD players from their carry ons and have them be submitted separately for X-ray screening.

The agency also clarified an earlier press release to say that small electronic items, such as cell phones, MP3 players, iPods and portable video game systems do not have to be removed from their carrying cases.

The policy recommendation came from a front line security officer who screens passengers every day who observed that game consoles and DVD players are complex devices much like laptop computers. This change brings more uniformity to their policy.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Microtrack
By KOMO Staff
The policy recommendation came from a front line security officer who screens passengers every day who observed that game consoles and DVD players are complex devices much like laptop computers. This change brings more uniformity to their policy.
Boy, I sure hope that guy doesn't realize that the human body has more than 3 ounces of liquid in it...

The policy sounds a bit vague and in flux at the moment. I bet this means there will be variations from airport to airport, which drives me nuts. I especially hate it when some TSA official treats me like a small child for failing to adhere to whatever process is in place at their airport, despite not being in place at the airport I just left.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 7:30 pm
tlr

Programs: AF/KL Dark Grey, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Doppy
I wonder if it's just going to be electronic devices, or cables, cords, transformers and headphones too.
I was told it's all electronics as of August, by the guy conducting harraSSSSment as prescribed by the boarding pass in ORD T3 (DL concourse) on me the other week -- the rare type of senior screener who will go into that process with a big sigh, a bit of a grin, and without taking themselves any more seriously than they absolutely need to (as in, we all know this ain't useful, let's get over with it, and quickly).

Me: "Can you imagine what the lines will look like then? I don't know what the folks who come up with that kind of rule are thinking..." he: "Me neither. *sigh*"
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tlr
I was told it's all electronics as of August, by the guy conducting harraSSSSment as prescribed by the boarding pass in ORD T3 (DL concourse) on me the other week -- the rare type of senior screener who will go into that process with a big sigh, a bit of a grin, and without taking themselves any more seriously than they absolutely need to (as in, we all know this ain't useful, let's get over with it, and quickly).

Me: "Can you imagine what the lines will look like then? I don't know what the folks who come up with that kind of rule are thinking..." he: "Me neither. *sigh*"
It is entirely possible at the time you had the above conversation that was the plan from On High; thereafter, it was likely pointed out that doing so would create a logistical nightmare at checkpoints, as well as enough of a PR headache to make catching any (potential) "baddies" not worth including smaller, commonly (read: sheeple) held items. My $.02

Basically, standard laptop size (12"+) DVD players - the kind that get hooked up to TV's, are what they mean ... I think? (as opposed to the size that fits on a tray table) As far as Playstation-type devices go ... I was once on a flight where a lad brought through not only a Playstation, but a 13" portable TV set with him for use in playing games inflight (RNO - SEA)!

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Aug 3, 2007 at 8:33 pm
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:40 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
"Clarification," my butt.

The TSA, I suspect, meant for it to be "all electronics" all along, but apparently realized the nightmare--both of logistics and of PR--at the eleventh hour.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Welcome to "TSA's Annual August Molecule Madness Days™".

August 2006: Water Banned

August 2007: Electrons

August 2008: Will Protons or Neutrons Make the Kip Hit List?

Poor Barkers: "All loose quarks must in your Kip Quart Ziplock"

Has Vegas got a betting line on the Next TSA Enhancement Ban Item?
Hmmm. Why don't TSA will bring back the bottled water beyond checkpoint once again. It has nothing wrong the bottled water. When terrorist doesn't have bring any kind of these water. It has no evidence by the water banned. I think TSA is considered bring water beyond checkpoint. I am always see TSA employees was taking away from passengers' water. Why you guys put small bottled water in the pocket but, it doesn't hear the metal detector after you go through checkpoint. Then you will be big successful from TSA isn't seeing the water by passengers.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:50 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by article
Why implement this recommendation?

Surely some GOOD recommendations are submitted by TSOs, things like easing off on the water carnival and shoe carnival (particularly for shoes which would be impossible to conceal explosives within, like flip-flops). Or having a realistic approach to disposing of "dangerous" confiscated liquids. But no, they choose this stupid crap to implement.

I bet there are TSOs who submit recommendations which are just as stupid and worthless, and some who do so deliberately / as a joke. Makes me wonder what idiocy we'll get next which is credited to / blamed upon "a front line security officer."

And I thought the reason for removing laptops was to allow for better viewing of the contents of the bag, not because they were "complex devices?"

Having disassembled several laptops over the years, I can say they are not really all that complex, and that they should be fairly easy to see and see the components of on x-ray.

This reminds me of the debate I had with a TSA officer once, who was complaining I didn't remove my camera from its bag. "All cameras have to be screened separately," he said, as he called for a bag check. I explained that it was only VIDEO cameras, and at that, the spirit of the rule applied to clunky, old-school VHS cameras, not the uber-mini digital ones of today.

He then tried to claim my camera "could shoot video, too," and thus should be screened like a video camera. I pointed out that as a SLR, it could NOT shoot video, unlike many point-and-shoot cameras. Finally, his supe appeared, took one look at the camera, and said, "Send him on his way." ^
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by kaukau
Happy Anniversary, TSA! It was one year ago, Aug. 10, 2006, you gave us the liquid ban. I knew you wouldn't let a year go by without some form of a celebration!
Yay! It goes away from liquid ban after 1 year anniversary next Friday August 10. It is mean TSA has no evidence the liquid and gels, too. Why you don't negotiations from TSA need increase the liquid size 4oz considered is good enough. I feel safer from TSA is already adjustable liquid bans in 2006.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by N830MH
Hmmm. Why don't TSA will bring back the bottled water beyond checkpoint once again. It has nothing wrong the bottled water. When terrorist doesn't have bring any kind of these water. It has no evidence by the water banned. I think TSA is considered bring water beyond checkpoint. I am always see TSA employees was taking away from passengers' water. Why you guys put small bottled water in the pocket but, it doesn't hear the metal detector after you go through checkpoint. Then you will be big successful from TSA isn't seeing the water by passengers.
N830MH:

The bosses at TSA headquarters just cannot let go of the liquids ban thing. It is something that they are unwilling at all to back off on any further than the 3.4 oz/100 ml "compromise" now.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:12 pm

Is it disturbing anyone else that now they're letting their SCREENERS of all people make decisions to be rolled out systemwide??? Isn't that what we have the "experts" (and I use that term extremely loosely) for??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.