Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All electronics must be removed from bag.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Flew Friday, everything was fine. Arrive at the airport Sunday and longer lines than normal due to this new rule. Cell phones, cell phone chargers, cameras, laptops (as alwasy)...but now their charging plugs also which is annoying, pretty much ANY electrical device.

I usually say I don't mind the wait, anything to ensure my safety first...but what's it going to be next!
Its not the TSA that is trying to kill 1000s of people. Want to know what will be next ask those who are looking for ways to cause Massive Deaths of Innocent people.

I agree it can at times is very time consuming and very SLOW getting thru the Checkpoints, but as long as I will have the ability to have to endure another check-point another day I can live with it, alot better then not being around
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Flew Friday, everything was fine. Arrive at the airport Sunday and longer lines than normal due to this new rule. Cell phones, cell phone chargers, cameras, laptops (as alwasy)...but now their charging plugs also which is annoying, pretty much ANY electrical device.

I usually say I don't mind the wait, anything to ensure my safety first...but what's it going to be next!
Really? My GF flew on Sunday out of PBI, and they said only electronics larger than a portable CD player had to be taken out, and nothing about plugs and such. She even asked them about her ipod and cell phone, and they told her she could leave it in.

Typical TSA - no idea on the actual rule....
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:20 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
As much as this effects all B6 passengers, this is still a travel safety and security issue. I'm moving it over to the appropriate forum.

Seat13C
JetBlue TrueBlue Moderator
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:23 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I suspect we'll see a merger with other appropriate threads, but until then...

The TSA's official directive states that only large electronic items, like DVD players and game systems (PS3, etc.) need to be removed and examined.

Of course, many idiots on the front lines didn't get the updated memo from the TSA, and are insisting all electronics come out.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Since we have a very active thread on this subject already, we'll merge the two.

Thanks.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by craz
Its not the TSA that is trying to kill 1000s of people. Want to know what will be next ask those who are looking for ways to cause Massive Deaths of Innocent people.

I agree it can at times is very time consuming and very SLOW getting thru the Checkpoints, but as long as I will have the ability to have to endure another check-point another day I can live with it, alot better then not being around
But it is the TSA that has consistent failure rates of 80%+ in finding Red Team objects. It is not true security.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor

Then I am sure that you will be happy to volunteer to be naked and handcuffed to your seat with no baggage of any sort allowed, because that is the only way you can really feel safe.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh geez, melodramatics straight from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Personally, I don't mind slower lines. The problem right now is how the slower lines are a product of seriously flawed thinking and "security."
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC

This, and any others who think this way, always remind me of people who have never read the works of one of the intellectuals present during the formation of the USA, Benjamin Franklin. One of my favorite quotes is also seen in several posters signature lines here at FT:
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:47 pm

Flew out of PBI today. Took 30 seconds to get through the checkpoint. They seemed pretty familiar with the CORRECT rules.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DL4EVR
Flew out of PBI today. Took 30 seconds to get through the checkpoint. They seemed pretty familiar with the CORRECT rules.
Yes, The rules will be here to stay. I know that I saw passengers was taking out the DVD player at checkpoint this morning. I was get through checkpoint during my break from work. I don't have anything more common problems from TSA this morning. TSA is during the searching the DVD player or else. It is no problems at all. I don't think TSA will changed the rules for while.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Global Services; UA/1K (since 1991); Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
PHX TSA (UA T2) is barking out this morning, "Remember, everyone, all electronics out of your bag and all liquids in one quart plastic container."

Let the inconsistencies continue.

FYI I did not remove anything except my laptop (and did not remove my kippie bag) and it went right through.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Did anyone actually read the article? Unless your idea of an Ipod has a few desktop drives inside of it, you won't need to worry. People with portable DVD players will have to take them out. They're essentially mini computers.

Those people talking about this article and phones and ipods are just acting childish. If I didn't know better, I'd say that this forum is full of people who just like to complain about things for no reason.

It is the people who are combative with the TSA who talk back and complain about regulations and rules who cause far more delays than someone having to take one article from their carryon. I take my laptop out now. If i had a DVD player to take out, it would not delay my getting through security by one second. It is not a rate taking step. It would delay my departure from security by the time it takes to put the item into my bag.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:41 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
data point: yes, ALL electronics

Flying back LAS-MSP on a red-eye Tuesday morning, ALL electronics, not just computers, did have to come out in the security line, and a screener inspected my small Canon Elph digital camera from every possible angle. I even started to give him a few tips about it, in case he was thinking of buying one. I had no idea it was a new rule, thought I just got "lucky."
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Well if you'd bothered to read what actual reports other people have made who are actually flying (and having to remove ALL electronics) at various airports you would have more accurate information. I did read the article all the way through (and others) but the reality is TSA is being inconsistant in what they are requiring at individual airports - what a surprise.
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Did anyone actually read the article? Unless your idea of an Ipod has a few desktop drives inside of it, you won't need to worry. People with portable DVD players will have to take them out. They're essentially mini computers.

Those people talking about this article and phones and ipods are just acting childish. If I didn't know better, I'd say that this forum is full of people who just like to complain about things for no reason.

It is the people who are combative with the TSA who talk back and complain about regulations and rules who cause far more delays than someone having to take one article from their carryon. I take my laptop out now. If i had a DVD player to take out, it would not delay my getting through security by one second. It is not a rate taking step. It would delay my departure from security by the time it takes to put the item into my bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.