Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by bdschobel
After the same thing happened to me a year or so ago, I stopped showing my passport, also, and now use my driver's license. I'd rather have these monsters know where I live than where I've traveled.

Bruce
Same. I have visas and/or stamps from Yemen, Oman, UAE (including a residence permit), Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, Sudan... all that Arabic writing almost always leads to questions. For some reason the Bahrain one always gets asked about. No idea why.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum (Sigh), all others as well......
TWIC

This is why I always use my TWIC card.

No address, no DL number, no passport number, just a name and phots.

Still, only about half of the smurfs know what a TWIC is.

It's a Transportation Worker Identification Credential, and it's issued by DHS!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am not a US citizen so I do not have a US passport. At one time when I was passing through the TSA checkpoint in SEA showing my foreign passport as my ID, I was told my foreign passport is NOT a valid ID and asked if I had a driver's license. I asked her why the foreign passport was not a valid ID, and she ignored me and just asked again if I had a driver's license. I was in a rush to get through for the plane (was in horrible traffic) so I didn't press further. That got me thinking though - if I was allowed into the country through immigration with my foreign passport, why was the same book not accepted to just go through the TSA checkpoint when I was LEAVING the country on an international itinerary? That is just non-sense - probably just a self-empowered federal employee.

Since then, I have had no problem using my foreign passport again through the TSA.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by jma99
This is why I always use my TWIC card.

No address, no DL number, no passport number, just a name and phots.

Still, only about half of the smurfs know what a TWIC is.

It's a Transportation Worker Identification Credential, and it's issued by DHS!
TWIX, Don't leave Homeland without it! It just needs a smurf slogan.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle
So best not to show passports if you can avoid it.
If you aren't from the US or Canada, TSA demands that you show your passport.
I get through TSA about 50% of the time using one of my other government issued IDs.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
This is why I got the passport card, I've been pleased to use it in lieu of the passport or drivers license, and so far have not had any pushback by TSOs, the Bank or wherever it's been used. Pulling it in and out of the little envelope to shield the chip is a PITA however.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 7:54 pm

still no requirement to show ID; cross-reference related FT posts

Originally Posted by goalie
yes, the tsa can ask you to remove your i/d from its case/wallet (similar to a leo)
Anyone can ask you anything. Only certain people have the authority to compel you answer their questions or comply with their requests. TSA staff do not have such authority.

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I have decided that I will now use the minimum required ID for TSA because I am sick and tired of people nosing into my personal business (in the guise of security) for no valid reason.
Note that the minimum is none. No documentation of your identity is required by TSA. You are required to present a boarding pass in order to cross their airport checkpoint.

See also the following FlyerTalk threads:
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by buschoi
At one time when I was passing through the TSA checkpoint in SEA showing my foreign passport as my ID, I was told my foreign passport is NOT a valid ID and asked if I had a driver's license.
The person who told you that was completely wrong. The TSA specifically lists, "A foreign government-issued passport" as a valid form of ID that is accepted at checkpoints.

I wonder what they'd do when presented with a national ID card issued by a foreign government?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
This is OT but are you sure the Swiss will let you in?

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/coun...itzerland.html
No, I am US Citizen with US passport. I don't have anything problems from Swiss Passport Control. I will show the passport and I will tell him where I am stay and visit to see my brother. That I will tell him that I am stay in Switzerland for 1 week.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by N830MH
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
This is OT but are you sure the Swiss will let you in?

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/coun...itzerland.html
No, I am US Citizen with US passport. I don't have anything problems from Swiss Passport Control. I will show the passport and I will tell him where I am stay and visit to see my brother. That I will tell him that I am stay in Switzerland for 1 week.
Before the Swiss will let you in or the airline will allow you on the plane, they require not only a valid passport but one with at least X amount of time still remaining before it expires. You need to check the rules for your points of entry, I think it may require 6 months left before expiration in order to be permitted in - the airline will deny you boarding if you don't have a passport valid for at least that period of time
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by buschoi
I am not a US citizen so I do not have a US passport. At one time when I was passing through the TSA checkpoint in SEA showing my foreign passport as my ID, I was told my foreign passport is NOT a valid ID and asked if I had a driver's license. I asked her why the foreign passport was not a valid ID, and she ignored me and just asked again if I had a driver's license. I was in a rush to get through for the plane (was in horrible traffic) so I didn't press further. That got me thinking though - if I was allowed into the country through immigration with my foreign passport, why was the same book not accepted to just go through the TSA checkpoint when I was LEAVING the country on an international itinerary? That is just non-sense - probably just a self-empowered federal employee.

Since then, I have had no problem using my foreign passport again through the TSA.
I read that a UK citizen tried to use his UK passport as ID when buying alcohol in Texas and it was not accepted. Good enough to get into America, not good enough to get a beer.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
"99% of my travel is international. Because I have to present my passport when I check in, I use it as my ID with TSA. I keep my passport in a leather case. Now I know that the immigration people require you to remove your passport from the case so that they can run it throuogh the scanner. But TSA does not scan the passport.

The most recent ID check by TSA resulted in the ID checker requesting that I remove my passport from the case. You can still see my name and photo just fine when the passport is in the case. When she asked me to remove it, I said really, no one else has ever requested this before. I was curious why. No response - just asked me again to remove it, I complied even though it is a pain because I keep my yellow immunization card and Bulgarian work permit and residency card behind the passport in the case so that all this information is in one place when I need it and I have to keep an eye on all those things. Then after verifying the passport against the boarding pass, she proceeded to flip through the 70-something pages of my passport, which happens to be full of visas and residence permits and lots of stamps. I have no idea why she was looking at my passport like that - there was no need.

I have decided that I will now use the minimum required ID for TSA because I am sick and tired of people nosing into my personal business (in the guise of security) for no valid reason."
I've seen TSOs do this many times, most likely to check for counterfeit and altered genuine passports.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:01 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by QUERY
I've seen TSOs do this many times, most likely to check for counterfeit and altered genuine passports.
Nearly all federal security guards, in nearly all federal agencies, buildings, and military bases, will demand to touch your ID (out of any case that it might be in) as part of their Standard Operating Procedure to check your ID for bogosity.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Before the Swiss will let you in or the airline will allow you on the plane, they require not only a valid passport but one with at least X amount of time still remaining before it expires. You need to check the rules for your points of entry, I think it may require 6 months left before expiration in order to be permitted in - the airline will deny you boarding if you don't have a passport valid for at least that period of time
Thanks! I am already have my own new passport from last year in 2008 but, it was expiration on July 2008 and I have to renewal the passport where I am consider it done to filled the applications. I don't have anything problems at all. It should be just fine for now.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
It just occurred to me that I have a second passport "An official passport" issued when I was working on official USG business. This passport is smaller than the monster passport with all the extra pages sewn in so there is not much to snoop through. Technically, this offical passport can be used only when on official US gov business and I comply with that usage requirement. However, there is nothing from stopping me from using this official passport (it is brown) for TSA ID check. Maybe this will get me some respect.

Do you think my Bulgarian work permit or residency card will pass the ID check? They both have my name, date of birth, an photo on them/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.