Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

does the law/courts say ID is not required to...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder

Board an aircraft?

or

Clear the security checkpoint?

I'm picking up a UM at the airport...when i get my gate pass (by showing my ID to the TA) can i then proceed to the checkpoint and go through without ID? just for fun...not sure if it's worth the SSSSSing, but what are your thoughts?
Old May 1, 2008, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sammy0623
Board an aircraft?

or

Clear the security checkpoint?

I'm picking up a UM at the airport...when i get my gate pass (by showing my ID to the TA) can i then proceed to the checkpoint and go through without ID? just for fun...not sure if it's worth the SSSSSing, but what are your thoughts?
my 2 hockey pucks is that the same i/d-no i/d rule applies as a bp or gate pass is what is required to enter the secure area so you should be ok with not showing i/d and getting a maSSSage (tho be prepared for some tsa moron saying you can't come thru without i/d so bring some tsa documentation with you such as printout of this page stating under "what you need")

We encourage each adult traveler to keep his/her airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID available until exiting the security checkpoint (children are not required to show identification). The absence of proper identification will result in additional screening.
Old May 1, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
I would agree. A screener at the low end of the curve might demand ID, not knowing it wasn't a requirement. A screener at the high end of the curve, but still waiting to manipulate you, might realize you're going to need ID to accept the handoff of the UM, and demand to see it since it will be required at the gate. Either one can be told to pound sand, and that you trust the GA and TA to not misuse data from your ID, but the jury's still out on them.
Old May 1, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
You'll need an ID to pick up a UM, at least on most airlines. A smart screener will know that. I'd expect them to not believe that you have no ID. Then again, most are not that smart.
Old May 1, 2008, 3:22 pm

links to TSA letter, newspaper article re: lack of airport ID requirement

Originally Posted by sammy0623
[does the law/courts say ID is not required in order to] Board an aircraft [or to pass] the security checkpoint?
In March 2008, in response to my complaint about inaccurate TSA signs at the Kansas City International Airport, I received a letter from Jeanne Oliver, Associate Director, TSA Office of the Executive Secretariat, confirming that ID is not required. You can download a copy of it from the March 31, 2008, "ID still not required to fly" post to the Identity Project blog.

In the letter, Ms. Oliver wrote:

If a traveler is unwilling or unable to produce a valid form of ID, the traveler is required to undergo additional screening at the checkpoint to gain access to the secured area of the airport. Access to the secured area of the airport will be denied to any traveler who refuses to undergo the additional screening.
She did not address the problem of display of inaccurate signs at MCI.

Additionally, the Kansas City Star published a story about the lack of ID requirement on their front page last month. See: "Although airport security tells passengers they must show ID to board planes, they really don’t" by Scott Canon and Mike Rice, Kansas City Star, April 9, 2008)
Old May 1, 2008, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
You'll need an ID to pick up a UM, at least on most airlines. A smart screener will know that. I'd expect them to not believe that you have no ID. Then again, most are not that smart.
true about showing i/d to the airline csr to get the gate pass and then again to the airline rep accompanying the minor (least hopefully the latter) but still no to the tsa (and if they ask, "as the song goes, "ain't nobody's business but my own")
Old May 2, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by goalie
true about showing i/d to the airline csr to get the gate pass and then again to the airline rep accompanying the minor (least hopefully the latter) but still no to the tsa (and if they ask, "as the song goes, "ain't nobody's business but my own")
True, but I think I'd rather say "I object to showing ID to TSA" or something of the sort rather than saying "I don't have ID".
Old May 2, 2008, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
True, but I think I'd rather say "I object to showing ID to TSA" or something of the sort rather than saying "I don't have ID".
When I want to avoid conflict without being dishonest, I say, "I'm sorry, but I don't have any ID for you."
Old May 2, 2008, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by pmocek
When I want to avoid conflict without being dishonest, I say, "I'm sorry, but I don't have any ID for you."
thats what i was thinking of saying. better get to the airport early enough to make sure i can clear security and make it to the gate to get my cousin.

and yes, i need ID to pick up my cousin from the airline.

this brings back memories of when i was 10, i flew to chicago and met my grandpa at the airport (he also flew in). he sees me, comes up to me and the GA, and gives me a big hug. i looked right at the GA and said "I've never seen this man before in my life!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.