Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had a problem without photo ID at the gate of Jetblue at JFK and MCO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone had a problem without photo ID at the gate of Jetblue at JFK and MCO?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Has anyone had a problem without photo ID at the gate of Jetblue at JFK and MCO?

My boyfriend is having a serious difficulty getting his non-drivers license without his parents helping out - no clue why when he has almost every form of identification a 19 year old could have. Including Medicare card, SSC, Birth Certificate, bills, HS ID, and anything else you could provide as a 19 year old. His problem is, his parents won't bring him at all to the DMV to get this situation handled. We're leaving for Florida in exactly two weeks and two days, and we're praying if he does get his ID sometime this week, that it comes as fast as mine did [nine days].

Point being, sorry for the ramble; has anyone had a problem at a terminal gate with a SSC, birth certificate and medicare card? The website says thats all that is needed, but I also called up JetBlue asking if it would be a problem; they got really serious and decided to scare me because of my age and said "He'll go through serious testing(what?) and then the guards will decide if he could come on board.

In actuality, behind all that mush - has anyone had a serious problem with security at JFK and MCO presenting a SSC, birth certificate and medicare card? I really don't want him to have to not go on vacation and be totally turned off after all this work just to get an ID.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:21 pm

If he's 19 why does he need his parents to take him to the DMV?

If he has possession of his own BC and SSC and can prove his address to meet the state's needs then what do his parents add to that?

To answer your question though, too bad he's not 1 year younger as 18- are not required to provide photo ID.

Will he be checking bags? If not, then the only place he will be proving his identity will be to TSA at the checkpoint. If he's not checking bags, then he can get a boarding pass online or at a kiosk without ID.

Getting past TSA is the most difficult. DO NOT bring the SSC. bring the student ID, but mainly he's just going to prove that he doesn't have any other ID and that he's not just refusing to comply with TSA.

They will search all his stuff, they will pat him down and wand him. There are reports that he will have to go through a phone verification system to prove he is who he says he is.

ETA: assuming you are NY based since starting at JFK I checked http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/id44.pdf and it seems like he needs 4 points of name verification + his SS card and birth cert. A form signed by his parents would be 4 points, or he could bring his Medicare card (not listed on the page specifically, but might could the same as Medicaid/Foodstamp but probably not) (3 points or 0 points) HS ID + report card (2), computer printed paycheck stub (assuming he has one) (1), W2 statement with SSN (1), credit card, bank card, or bank statement (1)

So plenty of points he can get.

Last edited by gj83; Aug 10, 2009 at 3:34 pm
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gj83
To answer your question though, too bad he's not 1 year younger as 18- are not required to provide photo ID.
So why not just tell them you're 18, in which case no ID is required?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by nerd
While I don't advocate talking to TSA, I don't advocate lying to them either.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk, mmeli13!

While this topic is certainly relevant in the jetBlue forum, I am going to move it over to the Travel Safety & Security forum where it will get a few more eyeballs and you can get input from a broader audience, many of whom are quite in touch with TSA procedures and policies.

sbm12
Moderator, jetBlue Forum
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
If he's 19 why does he need his parents to take him to the DMV?

....because he obviously doesn't drive. If he did drive, he would have a Driver License and would not have need for a Non-Driver ID card.

The OP implies that s/he also holds a Non-Driver ID card, meaning that s/he cannot drive either. This is not uncommon at all for adults who live in metropolitan NYC. I have a good friend who is 25 and still doesn't have a license because she's never needed one in NYC!

My question is: is this really just an issue of getting a ride to the DMV? Frankly, I would recommend just contacting a friend for a ride!

And, if the issue is that the parents somehow are unsupportive of your trip to MCO, and therefore refuse to drive you to the DMV, then tell them that it's none of their business! The boyfriend is 19 and can make his own choices about pretty much everything except alcohol.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ESpen36
then tell them that it's none of their business!
Well, that may be true, but certainly isn't going to help the BF get a ride to the DMV, now, is it?

And it is indeed very common for NYC-raised folk to not have a Driver's License, though most I know here always had a non-driver ID.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:37 pm

Take a cab to the DMV. It should cost less than 2 drinks in Orlando (oh wait, he can't drink legally anyway) and get it resolved.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:25 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
And how are you getting to JFK? And then how are you getting around when you arrive in Florida?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by nerd
17* Are you trying to sabotage these kids trip?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
....because he obviously doesn't drive. If he did drive, he would have a Driver License and would not have need for a Non-Driver ID card.
If he were applying for a drivers license I could understand needing parents. He would need someone to drive a vehicle there and possibly back if he fails. Since he is just applying for an ID getting there is something anyone can do...friend, taxi, bus. He obviously gets around otherwise.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
If he were applying for a drivers license I could understand needing parents. He would need someone to drive a vehicle there and possibly back if he fails. Since he is just applying for an ID getting there is something anyone can do...friend, taxi, bus. He obviously gets around otherwise.

Actually, since he's over 18, it would matter who takes him to the driving test. Parental permission is not required to take a driving test if you're 18 or older. It can be a friend or anybody who is licensed and insured to operate the vehicle being used for the test.

As you say, for a non-driver ID, he doesn't even need to take a vehicle to the DMV. He can use public transportation if it's accessible to the DMV (and I'm assuming it is, for NYC-based DMV locations).

--------

Not to open another can of worms, but is the OP under 18? If so, then this couple might want to think carefully about taking this trip to MCO. The over-18 boyfriend possibly could get into federal trouble for transporting the under-18 OP across state lines without written permission from the OP's parents/guardians.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:48 am

papers, please! (passengers still don't have to "show ID" to TSA)

Originally Posted by mmeli13
has anyone had a problem at a terminal gate with a SSC, birth certificate and medicare card? The website says thats all that is needed
As others will likely warn you, it's not a good idea to carry around your Social Security card, particularly with your birth certificate. One slip and you're at great risk for identity theft and sure to have lots of hassle replacing the SS card.

TSA is misleading about their airport ID requirements. They don't require passengers to provide documentation of their identity, but seemingly would prefer that people think this is the case. Although TSA keeps most of the rules it requires passengers to follow secret, the policy seems to be that if you willfully refuse to show your papers, you will be barred from flying, but if you claim that they were misplaced or stolen and and cooperate with an interrogation intended to determine your identity, you will likely be allowed to fly. They've announced no provisions for people who never had government-issued photo identification card in the first place.

A June, 2008, TSA press release (which is frequently their method of communicating the rules they require us to follow) states:
Originally Posted by TSA
Cooperative passengers without ID may be subjected to additional screening protocols, including enhanced physical screening, enhanced carry-on and/or checked baggage screening, interviews with behavior detection or law enforcement officers and other measures.
TSA's "Travel Assistant" Web page states:
Originally Posted by TSA
We encourage each adult traveler to keep his/her airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID available until exiting the security checkpoint (children are not required to show identification). The absence of proper identification will result in additional screening.
TSA's "ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints" page states:
Originally Posted by TSA
Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to go through the checkpoint or onto an airplane.
For more on this, see the following FT threads:

Last edited by pmocek; Aug 12, 2009 at 9:57 am Reason: replace last FT link; add older threads to top of list

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.