Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:04 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by STBCypriot

BTW, I once had a US immigration officer say to me "oh no, not one of those" when I presented him my official passport. I looked at him quizzically but got no reply. I have no idea what he meant as he processed my passport just as any other passport.
I use a US Official Passport often and never really have problems. I have had questions asked by CBP and USCIS about what agency it is from but that is all.

Now that I have global entry I prefer the US tourist passport so I can use the machine (You cannot link more than one passport to a GE account according to my interviewer)

Ciao,
FH
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
I use a US Official Passport often and never really have problems. I have had questions asked by CBP and USCIS about what agency it is from but that is all.

Now that I have global entry I prefer the US tourist passport so I can use the machine (You cannot link more than one passport to a GE account according to my interviewer)

Ciao,
FH
Totally off topic but thought you might be able to answer a question without having to start a new thread.

I have an old expired "Official" Passport.

If applying for a tourist passport would I need to surrender the old one?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian

Ciao,
FH
Totally off topic but thought you might be able to answer a question without having to start a new thread.

I got the old one back when I renewed the last time
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I got the old one back when I renewed the last time
Yes, they give you the old one back. Used to be they just stamped it "cancelled", but now they stamp it and punch holes in all the pages. Apparently that's international passport inspector secret code for "expired"
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
You're right, the Turkish one is not in Arabic of course, but they are postage stamp-like things and thus tend to force the page open to them. The little Crescent and star imply "evil" in most American's minds it seems.

And yes - they are in English too.
I'm sure I've posted this before, but I believe it bears posting again -- as most visitors here know, I am no friend of the TSA, nor have ever been impressed with their competence, but with numerous experiences of travelling around the US with a passport as my only ID, and one that contains 75+ pages of visas and entry stamps in "arabic writin'", I've never had a TSO or CBP agent ever appear to give me extra scutiny on their account. In fact, I breezed through customs in Miami recently because the agent saw a "Qatar" stamp and said, "oh are you 'posted' over there?" (apparently believing I was part of the substantial U.S. military presence here in the emirate). I just nodded affirmatively (it was technically true, I am 'posted' here, it's just not the U.S. military that did the posting) and he just gave me a "thank you for service" kind of smile and said "welcome back" and waved me through.

Another time I had some CBP bimbo look through the stamps and ask, "so are you living over there?" ("yes"); "Wow, so you can read all this?" God, of course I can't read any of it! For all I know it says: "dear fellow arabic speaking customs agent -- the bearer of this passport is a total moron, but he's good for a generous bribe, so be sure to squeeze all you can out of him!" Where do they find these people? But in any event, she just waved me through after that.

Given that I criticise the TSA enough, I figure I should defend them on the few occaisions they are criticised unfairly.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:50 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

In my dealings with State, you can use the Official to get a Tourist and vice-versa, and also in my experiances they send them all back. Official passports are just processed through different channels. Technically the agency that sponsors the official passport can recall/revoke it if you don't have a need for it.

Ciao,
FH
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
My confrontation with two ID screeners over the validity of my brown passport happened at one of the busiest airports on this planet in a metropolitan area with tons of federal employees working in numerous departments and agencies, many of whom do foreign official travel. There are only three colors of U.S. passports: black, brown, and blue. (OK, there might be some of the old green ones which are still valid.). We're not talking 50 diferent DLS -- we're talking 3 nationwide documents where the major difference is the color of the cover.

Slightly OT: The major benefit to an official passport is that you and the country you're visiting don't have to worry about work permits. You may still need an entry visa, but, they know you're not going to take a job from one of their citizens.
Yes, and the green US passports issued to only US citizens have come, gone, come back and gone but the green US passports haven't been issued again since sometime in the first half of 1994; and so any issue some TSAers might currently have with an inability to deal with US passports with green front and back covers would likely be one of making a stink over the expiration date (if any).
Old Nov 26, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I've used my DL as ID for the TSA for almost forever, no problems at all.

I'm not sure but this kind of treatment seems to be the same as me presenting my DL to a GA when boarding a plane, only to have her ask for my passport instead, and then her flipping through it after seeing my name and photo. You would be surprised how many times this happens, even on domestic flights within the United States. What's the difference between a TSO and a GA? One thing that is similar is that they are both strangers. I'm just sayin...
Old Nov 26, 2009, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
What's the difference between a TSO and a GA? One thing that is similar is that they are both strangers. I'm just sayin...
Your interactions with the airline employee result from a voluntary relationship; you chose the airline and agreed to interact with its employees as they transport you from one place to another. Your interaction with the TSA employee is entirely involuntary; you have no choice, except to stay home.

Bruce
Old Nov 26, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: TSA
This is rediculous. IF you are paranoid about TSA looking through your documents because you believe that you will be labeled at the TDC point of entry, you are mistaken. TDC has too many things in the form of people nad papers to deal with in order to take notes about where you live and or where you have traveled to. Besides that you dont own your passport. IF you think that TSA should know every possible form of ID that can come through you are mistaken. I for one tell passengers to use only the passport if they have it because it has no information on where you live. IF you drop your drivers license on an outbound trip and the wrong person finds it, you could come home to nothing. If you drop your passport, the person that finds it wont even know what state you are from.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by eyecue
This is rediculous. IF you are paranoid about TSA looking through your documents because you believe that you will be labeled at the TDC point of entry, you are mistaken. TDC has too many things in the form of people nad papers to deal with in order to take notes about where you live and or where you have traveled to. Besides that you dont own your passport. IF you think that TSA should know every possible form of ID that can come through you are mistaken. I for one tell passengers to use only the passport if they have it because it has no information on where you live. IF you drop your drivers license on an outbound trip and the wrong person finds it, you could come home to nothing. If you drop your passport, the person that finds it wont even know what state you are from.
Personally, I am not paranoid about TSA looking thorugh my documents. It is the principle of invasion of privacy that is at issue here. TSA is supposed to verify my ID against my boarding pass and that is all. They do not need to be flipping through my passport looking to see where I have been - it's none of their business. Immigration offericers are entitle to do this and I have no objection to that.

Some people may not be concerned about issues of privacy, but I am as I am watching as my personal privacy is slowly being invaded by the US government (or agents on their behalf). That is my issue.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:43 am

This is rediculous. IF you are paranoid about TSA looking through your documents because you believe that you will be labeled at the TDC point of entry, you are mistaken.
As others have pointed out ... there's a difference between being paranoid about TSA (the agency) and being paranoid about TSOs (the individuals working for the agency). Identity theft happens more often when individuals misuse access to private data.

I for one tell passengers to use only the passport if they have it because it has no information on where you live.
Except for that page on the inside which "asks" passengers to supply their current home address. And all you need is one of those "respect mah authoritah" types who (erroneously) tells you that the information is required, and suddenly that document isn't nearly as anonymous as it might seem ...
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by i7654
Forget a British passport, have you ever tried to use your US passport to buy alcohol or get in to a club?

id say about 60% of the time its denied, mainly because the bouncers/bar tenders haven't seen one, or are not sure about them. they gladly take state id's or drivers licences because there listed in their book of state ID's.
I once had a cab driver in LA tell me that my passport "wasn't a valid government ID" when I paid with a credit card and he demanded to see my DL.

The discussion ended when I informed him that my flight was leaving and I was using my passport to get on the plane. If it was good enough for the US govt it should damn well be good enough for him.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: TSA
The other day I was supervising the TDC and noticed that one of the officers was doing the "thumb through the pages." I then realized that he was doing something legit to a passport that requires this and it appears to the untrained eye that it is being nosey and it is not.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
The other day I was supervising the TDC and noticed that one of the officers was doing the "thumb through the pages." I then realized that he was doing something legit to a passport that requires this and it appears to the untrained eye that it is being nosey and it is not.
Can you expand on the "legit" part? What's the purpose/what was/is he looking for/at?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.