Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Are the rights and powers of TSO's documented ANYWHERE on the public record? Otherwise, what's to stop them from fabricating all sorts of legitimate things they can do?
They do it all the time
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:43 am
Suspended

Are the rights and powers of TSO's documented ANYWHERE on the public record? Otherwise, what's to stop them from fabricating all sorts of legitimate things they can do?
Sorry, that's "SSI."
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Sorry, that's "SSI."
Interpretation: Nobody knows.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Interpretation: Nobody knows.
Correction: Interpretation: Cover-Up
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Chances are a TSA ID checker would have no idea where any of the places you travelled are on the map anyway Unless of course you have squiggly lines from them arab countries, then you must be bad.
After a cruise trip in the Gulf got me ten Arabic-language stamps from assorted countries I was extremely worried that I would have trouble about this on a subsequent US visit. Luckily, CBP at DUB and the TDC at JFK didn't make an issue of it. I'm not going back to the US anytime soon though, not until the absurd TSA theatre is cleaned up.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by PartlySunny
I have had a store clerk insist that I sign the back of my bank card, right at the register, before she would accept it. I had forgotten to sign the back of it when I got it in the mail.

Thank goodness she caught that and had me sign it right in front of her, so she knows it's legit.
They are actually supposed to request you to sign it right in front of them (and also compare the signature to a passport or driving licence) because technically if you haven't signed the card, then in some jurisdictions you haven't agreed to the card's conditions.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by stifle
They are actually supposed to request you to sign it right in front of them (and also compare the signature to a passport or driving licence) because technically if you haven't signed the card, then in some jurisdictions you haven't agreed to the card's conditions.
A few years ago, I started signing all of my credit/debit cards with the phrase "Check Photo ID." I can count on one hand the number of times that a retailer actually did just that. When they do ask for my photo ID, I produce it and thank them profusely!!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
A few years ago, I started signing all of my credit/debit cards with the phrase "Check Photo ID." I can count on one hand the number of times that a retailer actually did just that. When they do ask for my photo ID, I produce it and thank them profusely!!
That, believe it or not, may be a violation of your agreement with your bank. A small number of retailers may refuse your card because it's not signed. But it's unlikely to arise.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:41 pm

That, believe it or not, may be a violation of your agreement with your bank. A small number of retailers may refuse your card because it's not signed. But it's unlikely to arise.
If that ever does happen, they'd better hope that I have some cash on me! They'll either have to comp my check, or I'll be washing dishes or sweeping floors!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
You do realize that by doing so you've actually made it easier for someone to simply produce a fake ID and steal your money because now they don't even have to practice your signature to make it match the card, right?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
You do realize that by doing so you've actually made it easier for someone to simply produce a fake ID and steal your money because now they don't even have to practice your signature to make it match the card, right?
They will have to have a photo ID matching my name on the BankCard for verification. If the identity theif has gotten that far, I think I would have already shut down the card (I only carry one). If they are using my photo ID, they would have to be my twin or look just like me, right? Unauthorized purchases might be made on-line, in which case, the bank would be eating the charges, not me or the merchant. I am only liable for the first fifty bucks. Money cannot be withdrawn or advanced without a PIN.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:43 pm
Suspended

The post office absolutely refuses to accept unsigned debit/credit cards.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta,United,Continental,US Airways,Southwest,Marriott,all car companies
Think we can get any further off topic?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by n4zhg
The post office absolutely refuses to accept unsigned debit/credit cards.
YMMV
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Do you guys know what I do with my driver's license? I just didn't update the address!! Hahahahahahahahaha, suckers!

No problem with identity theft for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.