Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I read that a UK citizen tried to use his UK passport as ID when buying alcohol in Texas and it was not accepted. Good enough to get into America, not good enough to get a beer.
http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/enforcem...rification.asp
State Law

Texas state law does not require that a person over 21 provide any identification to purchase alcohol in Texas. There is nothing in the law that declares specific forms of ID as “valid” for an alcohol purchase.

However, a person who sells a minor an alcoholic beverage does NOT commit an offense if the minor falsely represents himself to be 21 years old or older by displaying an apparently valid proof of identification that:

* contains a physical description and photograph consistent with the minor's appearance;
* purports to establish that the minor is 21 years of age or older; and
* was issued by a governmental agency.

The proof of identification may include a driver's license issued by any state, a U.S. passport, a military identification card or any other ID issued by a state or the federal government.

For that reason, since store clerks, wait staff, and bartenders can be held criminally liable for selling alcohol to a minor, they often require a photo ID issued by a governmental agency, to prove that the person really is 21.

A store, bar or restaurant might or might not sell alcohol to a person with an expired driver's license, a foreign passport or other ID. What's acceptable in any establishment is a matter of that establishment's private business policies.

If the patron is obviously over 21, the establishment may not require any ID at all.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle
The TSA will send you to secondary if you're a foreigner and a citizen of an 'undesirable' country, even though you are in the US completely legally.

So best not to show passports if you can avoid it.
Wise advice. I stopped using my (UK) passport when secondaries were in fashion at boarding gates. I was at LAX, early for my flight, and noticed that all those headed for LAS showing foreign passports were selected for secondaries while those showing D/Ls walked through. The furriners were mainly EU citizens.

I started using my US PortPASS (photo, dob, PP no on front, chevron info on back) but this is now expired, so I generally use my Swiss ID card (5 languages and chevron info) but at least it has a photo and dob so must be OK.

I'd like to use my London Oyster card (self-laminated photo and handwritten name) but won't as it doesn't confer public transportation rights in the US. It worked in Mexico when I refused to let the security person retain my passport when visiting a Government building. English language and photo, must be OK. Pointless, really.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:17 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by buschoi
I was told my foreign passport is NOT a valid ID and asked if I had a driver's license.
Originally Posted by Himeno
If you aren't from the US or Canada, TSA demands that you show your passport.
These appear to contradict one another.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:50 am

Same. I have visas and/or stamps from Yemen, Oman, UAE (including a residence permit), Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, Sudan... all that Arabic writing almost always leads to questions. For some reason the Bahrain one always gets asked about. No idea why.
A visa for Turkey with Arabic writing should raise eyebrows, since they are in Turkish (and English? I don't have it in front of me) which uses the Roman alphabet. Not that the ID checker would know this.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
However, there is nothing from stopping me from using this official passport (it is brown) for TSA ID check. Maybe this will get me some respect.
Assuming that the TDC recognizes the "official passport" as a genuine document. As I'm sure you're aware, there are far fewer official passports than regular passports, making it slightly more likely that the TDC won't be familiar with it and will question its authenticity.

So, I could see a scenario in which an official passport earns you less respect rather than more respect ...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:29 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe this will get me some respect.
More likely, they'll study it to try to figure out how it turned brown.

Do you think my Bulgarian work permit or residency card will pass the ID check? They both have my name, date of birth, an photo on them/
It shouldn't be accepted, but it might-- look at the Red Team results for more information.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Assuming that the TDC recognizes the "official passport" as a genuine document. As I'm sure you're aware, there are far fewer official passports than regular passports, making it slightly more likely that the TDC won't be familiar with it and will question its authenticity.

So, I could see a scenario in which an official passport earns you less respect rather than more respect ...
Have a look at this thread for one such example.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Have a look at this thread for one such example.
Thanks -- I was just looking for my brown passport post...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by Louie_LI
A visa for Turkey with Arabic writing should raise eyebrows, since they are in Turkish (and English? I don't have it in front of me) which uses the Roman alphabet. Not that the ID checker would know this.
You're right, the Turkish one is not in Arabic of course, but they are postage stamp-like things and thus tend to force the page open to them. The little Crescent and star imply "evil" in most American's minds it seems.

And yes - they are in English too.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level

Well, I will be able to test this on 3 January at MLB. We'll see how it goes. I'll report back.

BTW, I once had a US immigration officer say to me "oh no, not one of those" when I presented him my official passport. I looked at him quizzically but got no reply. I have no idea what he meant as he processed my passport just as any other passport.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by N830MH
Do I need to show the passport at front of checkpoint? When I am flying out of PHX-ATL-ZRH is approximately 30 days left. I am not aware about TSA is changeable the policy. I will figure it out why TSA has lot of changes the regulations.
If you check in at the airport you will need to either swipe your passport through a kiosk or show it to a ticket agent at the check-in desk before you can get a boarding pass. This is so the airline has your information, knows it is valid, and does not get stuck flying you home (and fined) if they transport you without a valid passport.

My experience is that if you do OLCI and print a boarding pass at home you can proceed directly through security. You should not have a problem clearing security with a DL or other acceptable non-passport ID. Just don't show them the connecting boarding pass heading out of the country to avoid them trying to make the "big catch" of an international pax without a passport.

You will have to show your passport at the gate on your international segment. If you did OLCI there will be something printed on the BP indicating that the airline needs to verify your passport, so they will do this at the gate. Worst case is they take care of it right there by swiping it or typing some stuff into the computer.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by buschoi
probably just a self-empowered federal employee
That is an endemic problem in the US - completely uneducated people who are convinced that they're at the forefront of fighting illegal immigration and terrorism single-handedly, and use intimidation to do so...
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by ajax
These appear to contradict one another.
You sound surprised that the TSA has contradictory policies. C'mon, you've been around long enough to know better.

Mike
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1p, GF Gold, EK
I read that a UK citizen tried to use his UK passport as ID when buying alcohol in Texas and it was not accepted. Good enough to get into America, not good enough to get a beer.
Forget a British passport, have you ever tried to use your US passport to buy alcohol or get in to a club?

id say about 60% of the time its denied, mainly because the bouncers/bar tenders haven't seen one, or are not sure about them. they gladly take state id's or drivers licences because there listed in their book of state ID's.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My confrontation with two ID screeners over the validity of my brown passport happened at one of the busiest airports on this planet in a metropolitan area with tons of federal employees working in numerous departments and agencies, many of whom do foreign official travel. There are only three colors of U.S. passports: black, brown, and blue. (OK, there might be some of the old green ones which are still valid.). We're not talking 50 diferent DLS -- we're talking 3 nationwide documents where the major difference is the color of the cover.

Slightly OT: The major benefit to an official passport is that you and the country you're visiting don't have to worry about work permits. You may still need an entry visa, but, they know you're not going to take a job from one of their citizens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.