Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No ID - Reports from the Field

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

No ID - Reports from the Field

I am interested to know the experiences of people who have been flying under the new ID rules. Please post your stories regarding refusal to show ID/or stories regarding lost ID here.

Angry Dan
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
You are a tso, what have you experienced ?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services; UA/1K (since 1991); Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Internal Passports

I can only assume that TSA hopes to hear horror stories we post here so that TSA can then brag among TSO's how miserable they've made it for the flying public while exercising our Constitutional right to freely travel within this country. "Show me your ID" is about to become the mantra for any travel by any means anywhere in this country. And yes, if and when that happens, the terrorists will have won and the concept of liberty will be dead. The showing of ID's does nothing to improve security and I hope that we do not become enablers of TSA by posting horror stories in this thread by which TSA can then gauge how effective they are at stopping those who wish to exercise their constitutional right to freely travel without showing an ID (soon to be an internal passport, which is probably the next step TSA will take).

Last edited by essxjay; Jun 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm Reason: Comments on moderation are not permitted
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services; UA/1K (since 1991); Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Internal Passports

Well, my earlier post was deleted because according to a Moderator it was vitriolic. So, I'll try again.

I can only assume that TSA hopes to hear horror stories we post here so that TSA can then brag among TSO's how miserable they've made it for the flying public while exercising our Constitutional right to freely travel within this country. "Show me your ID" is about to become the mantra for any travel by any means anywhere in this country. And yes, if and when that happens, the terrorists will have won and the concept of liberty will be dead. The showing of ID's does nothing to improve security and I hope that we do not become enablers of TSA by posting horror stories in this thread by which TSA can then gauge how effective they are at stopping those who wish to exercise their constitutional right to freely travel without showing an ID (soon to be an internal passport, which is probably the next step TSA will take).
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:42 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Have I found a loophole?

I've searched the TSA website in vain for any explanation of what constitutes an acceptable boarding pass.

There's plenty of information on what constitutes acceptable ID but nothing other than the need to have a "boarding pass". I'm wondering what they'd do with a boarding pass where I've crossed out my name with a magic marker or white-out. How about one printed so small as to be illegible. What about one where it read "name redacted for privacy"? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
You got a REAL ID to go with that REAL BP?

Originally Posted by T-the-B
I've searched the TSA website in vain for any explanation of what constitutes an acceptable boarding pass. Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks not for reminding Kip.

Coming next from an election year Congress: "The T-the-B Memorial REAL Boarding Pass Security Act of 2008".

Last edited by Flaflyer; Jun 23, 2008 at 11:15 am Reason: sp, -2 points
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:27 am

here's a no-ID report from consumerist. y'all gonna have a mardi gras with this one:

http://consumerist.com/tag/tsa-id-po...ew-regulations
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by squatch
here's a no-ID report from consumerist. y'all gonna have a mardi gras with this one:

http://consumerist.com/tag/tsa-id-po...ew-regulations
WOW! That's all I can say is, WOW! What happens if you've just moved recently?

Political party affiliation?!?!?!? What if you've changed your affiliation recently?

Come on, let's get somebody to take this to court SOON!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:47 am

Gone.

Last edited by Peetah; Oct 21, 2008 at 2:01 am
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
They kept explaining over and over how necessary it was to "verify" who I was, and how times have changed, and how these new regulations must have been as a result of someone trying to get away with something, because there's always a reason for these thing but they don't always know what those reasons are.
Boy, that Kool-Aid sure packs a punch.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by doober
Political party affiliation?!?!?!? What if you've changed your affiliation recently?
I completely disagree with the idea of doing this. ID shouldn't be required to travel. The TSA, taking a different (and self-serving) view, sees things differently. I can understand that in their zeal to appear as if they are doing something and to make us feel safer they feel the need to ask us questions if we have no ID. Things like name, address, employer are to be expected. But political party? I'm sorry -- I'd have absolutely refused to answer that one. Is the right to travel now dependent on who we might decide to vote for? What legitimate purpose could possibly be served by asking that question?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Welcome to political oppression.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Is the right to travel now dependent on who we might decide to vote for? What legitimate purpose could possibly be served by asking that question?
Obviously (I hope) I'm agin' this, but you're reading too much into the affiliation thing. It was simply a piece of information the "service" (what IS that) had that could be used as a question. Nothing more insidious than "where were you born", "mother's maiden name" or other similar keys you provide to banks etc.

What I would be concerned with is where did that information come from ? I've never had to answer (or even been asked) that AFAIK.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:59 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Obviously (I hope) I'm agin' this, but you're reading too much into the affiliation thing. It was simply a piece of information the "service" (what IS that) had that could be used as a question. Nothing more insidious than "where were you born", "mother's maiden name" or other similar keys you provide to banks etc.

What I would be concerned with is where did that information come from ? I've never had to answer (or even been asked) that AFAIK.
Voter registration records, including political party affiliation, are public record at least in some states and are freely available to datamining services. (That's how local/state/congress reps of our own party know to solicit us for donations even if we're not active in party politics.)

But I disagree that there is nothing insidious here. IMO TSA is clearly using commercial data aggregation services for identity verification. That is the same sort of thing they wanted to do with CAPPSII (and/or Secure Flight) that was widely discredited. These commercial databases are wrought with errors.

These errors are merely comical when the databases are used for generating junk mail. E.g. I used to routinely receive invitations to visit a retirement home when I'm ~30 years too young to be in one, because some database errantly linked my dad's date of birth with my address, probably because I was listed as pay-on-death on some of his accounts.

Unlike credit reports, there are no laws requiring citizens to be able to make corrections in many of these databases, because the databases were intended only for targeting advertising, not for critical decision making.

Not that credit reports are flawless. Another example, my credit report has incorrect aggregations of previous addresses--e.g., the apartment number for one residence tied to the street address of another. No big deal and not worth fixing, but incorrect nonetheless.

But when the government starts using these databases to grant or deny "privileges" which are really fundamental rights (i.e., travel), the errors become extremely serious. E.g., those wrong addresses on my credit report or the non-credit database that associates my dad's age with me. Either of those could have resulted in denied travel in the linked scenario.

And if TSA is obtaining information like political-party affiliation, you can bet someone is either storing it or thinking of a way and reason to do so. What if someone forms a political party with a platform to disband TSA? That is exactly the sort of thing the founders were worried about.

This precedent is very very dangerous. The slippery slope has gotten a lot steeper, and it may be too late to get out.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:03 pm

Get your Club Cards out.

FTA
"She asked if I was sure I didn't have photo ID, like a credit card with my picture on it, or even a Costco Card."

Get out your Costco Club Cards ,Sam's Club Cards or any other Membership Club Card,sounds like those are Valid Photo Id's now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.