Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Starting June 21: Refuse to Show ID, No Entry to Sterile Area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting June 21: Refuse to Show ID, No Entry to Sterile Area

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Thumbs down Starting June 21: Refuse to Show ID, No Entry to Sterile Area

TSA Announces Enhancements to Airport ID Requirements to Increase Safety

News & Happenings

June 5, 2008
Photo of various IDs.

Beginning Saturday, June 21, 2008 passengers that willfully refuse to provide identification at security checkpoint will be denied access to the secure area of airports. This change will apply exclusively to individuals that simply refuse to provide any identification or assist transportation security officers in ascertaining their identity.

This new procedure will not affect passengers that may have misplaced, lost or otherwise do not have ID but are cooperative with officers. Cooperative passengers without ID may be subjected to additional screening protocols, including enhanced physical screening, enhanced carry-on and/or checked baggage screening, interviews with behavior detection or law enforcement officers and other measures.

Under the law that created TSA, the Aviation and Transportation Security Act, the TSA administrator is responsible for overseeing aviation security (P.L. 107-71) and has the authority to establish security procedures at airports (49 C.F.R. § 1540.107). Passengers that fail to comply with security procedures may be prohibited from entering the secure area of airports to catch their flight (49 C.F.R. § 1540.105(a)(2).

This initiative is the latest in a series designed to facilitate travel for legitimate passengers while enhancing the agency's risk-based focus - on people, not things. Positively identifying passengers is an important tool in our multi-layered approach to security and one that we have significantly bolstered during the past 18 months.

TSA.gov
Old Jun 6, 2008, 1:54 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Whoopie. So one always "misplaces" the ID.

Better yet--let them burn their exhaustive search finding it for you. Buried in the bottom of a bag of loose clothing or somesuch.

Idiots.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by tsa.gov
This initiative is the latest in a series designed to facilitate travel for legitimate passengers while enhancing the agency's risk-based focus - on people, not things.
Since ID classifies as "things" (and not "people"), then it would be false to focus on it.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Interesting that this hasn't shown up on their blog yet. I bet they get an earful on this ...
Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:46 pm

Wow... Friday must be press release day.

Please present the TSA a fraudulent ID so we can make a "tewworwist" catch: Document Checkers Find Fake Passport

Pathetic...
Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:54 pm

There's one comment already up and I just left another one.

This is BAD!
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Are pax under 18 years of age exempt?

If so, anyone youthful enough to look the part should just say that they are 17 at the checkpoint.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold
Travel Document Checker: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!! ID?"
Peon: "Let me be ashamed of myself, oh glorious defender of freedom, for I have failed you! I have forgotten my ID! Whatsoever shall I do?"
TDC: "Did you forget it, or are you an evil terrorist who hates America?"
Peon: "I forgot it. I realize now that I am weakening the seventh layer of security; that my selfish hatred of all that is America caused me to forget it. I understand that my actions are directly responsible for the impending doom of potentially every plane in the sky, and I beg your must gracious and powerful self to let me through, that I might correct my errors in the future. I have seen the light!"
TDC: "Well, since you forgot it, you may pass. If, it turns out that you are misleading me, peon, then we, the all-powerful TSA shall wreak our vengeance upon you such that you shall regret the day you bought your non-refundable ticket."
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:15 pm
Suspended

It took me a while to process this: We are not being told that we cannot fly without ID which would be untruthful, but since we can't get access to the "sterile" (my foot) area without ID and thus board an aircraft, de facto, we can't fly. Sneaky little b*****ds, aren't they?
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NoClu
There's one comment already up and I just left another one.

This is BAD!
I just left one, too...let's see if they publish it.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thenewbie
Wow... Friday must be press release day.

Please present the TSA a fraudulent ID so we can make a "tewworwist" catch: Document Checkers Find Fake Passport

Pathetic...
Her evil intent was to.......? Did they find any explosives or weapons on her? If they didn't, then it must have been another one of the probes.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
TSA, you can go to hell, hell, hell.

It's one more reason I've nothing to say to any TSA employee. Your agency is the worst thing that has ever happened to US air travel, 9/11 included.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: Lufthansa, AsiaMiles
Originally Posted by Spiff
TSA, you can go to hell, hell, hell.

It's one more reason I've nothing to say to any TSA employee. Your agency is the worst thing that has ever happened to US air travel, 9/11 included.
Seriously, tell us how you REALLY feel!

Geez, is it that big a deal to show an ID? I know it's against all that is pure and holy, but good grief, relax!

And I am not in anyway related to, or involved in TSA. Just a bit perplexed at the venom spewed against TSA. Ever think they could be doing this just to get certain groups of people (Flyertalk???) to be inconvenienced?

TSA is worse than 9/11??? A bit of an overstatement???
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:59 pm

It's not showing a piece of plastic. It is the violation of concepts related to freedom and liberty that are the problem.

Plus it does NOTHING to increase security.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Andy1369
TSA Announces Enhancements to Airport ID Requirements to Increase Safety
Did I miss something? How does this increase safety ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.