Wiki Posts
Search

EasyJet refunds

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So basically it's either trying to get through to CS or chargeback via CC. Really customer friendly way of not having an online refund option. EU261 still applies in the UK so they cannot refuse full refund for flights they cancel.
Correct.

Just remember that one must make the effort to obtain a refund from the merchant vendor. Keep everything in writing, so that you can submit a package in support of your chargeback which is self-explanatory. Include your e-ticket receipt, the notice of cancellation / screenshot, your request for a refund and either denial or a note that you have not heard back.

The Regulation requires a refund be initiated within 7 days. Thus, wait until the 8th day for the chargeback.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
It's been 16 days since my charge dispute with Chase. No word from Chase on any challenge from easyJet. They have until May 8 to challenge.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
"After some time..." How long, in your experience? I made the refund request on the form around 15:00 today, no acknowledgement yet.
The acknowledgement arrived around 04:00, just over 12 hours since submission of the request - so not too bad. "we will try our best to complete your request within 28 days following submission". Hmm, we'll see...
Old Apr 25, 2020, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
The acknowledgement arrived around 04:00, just over 12 hours since submission of the request - so not too bad. "we will try our best to complete your request within 28 days following submission". Hmm, we'll see...
Don't forget the don't bother us for at least 90 days part. They don't promise anything after 90 days but maybe it's something like...

After 90 days, we will again try our best to to refund your money, and within 56 days. Please wait 180 days before submitting a third refund request. After 356 days have lapsed from your initial refund request, you will be entitled to an immediate refund. We will then try our best to process your immediate refund entitlement within 28 days.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA
I have two one way bookings, EDI to VCE and VRN to EDI which I'm trying change to x2 return bookings in 2021, this is so that I can maximise the return on what I've spent. But I don't have the ability on the change flight option to add a return? Is this not possible? I'm sure calling them will be out at the moment so may have to wait a while if this is possible at all.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
Correct.

Just remember that one must make the effort to obtain a refund from the merchant vendor. Keep everything in writing, so that you can submit a package in support of your chargeback which is self-explanatory. Include your e-ticket receipt, the notice of cancellation / screenshot, your request for a refund and either denial or a note that you have not heard back.

The Regulation requires a refund be initiated within 7 days. Thus, wait until the 8th day for the chargeback.
Doesn’t always work this way in the real world .

You may want to know what that not all airlines are honoring the EU 261 rules. The law is one thing. In practice it is often quite different. Many airlines are disregarding it altogether. I, for one, like many, have thousands held up with no practical recourse.

Head over to the Lufthansa or AF/KL forums if you have any doubts on this.

With no small claims courts and all legal avenues suspended for the moment, a whole lot of people are pounding on sand.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Doesn’t always work this way in the real world .

You may want to know what that not all airlines are honoring the EU 261 rules. The law is one thing. In practice it is often quite different. Many airlines are disregarding it altogether. I, for one, like many, have thousands held up with no practical recourse.

Head over to the Lufthansa or AF/KL forums if you have any doubts on this.

With no small claims courts and all legal avenues suspended for the moment, a whole lot of people are pounding on sand.
Do you have any contest charge options with your credit/debit card company?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by heronb
I have two one way bookings, EDI to VCE and VRN to EDI which I'm trying change to x2 return bookings in 2021, this is so that I can maximise the return on what I've spent. But I don't have the ability on the change flight option to add a return? Is this not possible? I'm sure calling them will be out at the moment so may have to wait a while if this is possible at all.
Not better to exchange with a voucher? In such case can be used with more flexibility, unless you're 100% sure the new date will not change you may face with additional change fees. At least these were my thoughts yesterday when I request a change vs voucher as I have no idea when I will be able to travel next.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:07 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by dhuey
Do you have any contest charge options with your credit/debit card company?
Not here in France. Amex is refusing to open disputes when vouchers are offered.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Not here in France. Amex is refusing to open disputes when vouchers are offered.
How frustrating. You didn't buy an airline gift card -- you bought an itinerary. They can't fly you on that itinerary now. Not their fault, but you're not getting anything like what you bought. They can't refuse to return your money by offering to fly you on a different itinerary, some later time.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:30 pm

It's a little bit easier requesting covid19 refunds on Easyjet website. Too bad, I can't post direct link to refund request form, but you can google "Easyjet Covid-19 Help Hub". In my case, I selected "I booked directly with easyjet - In the next 14 days - Was your flight cancelled? - Yes - Other options -View my other options - refund application form."

Last edited by jayareu; May 1, 2020 at 9:43 pm
Old May 2, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
In late February booked April flights.

Got an e-mail from EasyJet 16 March telling me that flights had been canceled, and offering to refund.

Went on line 19 March and asked (by clicking buttons, not by talking to anyone) for a refund. Seemed to work, as I got an e-mail saying that I would be reimbursed within seven (7) business days.

With generous counting, that would have been by 31 March (at the latest). But did not get any reimbursement. So, after reading this thread, on Saturday I asked for charge back with Chase (had booked with Chase Hyatt Visa). They (Chase) immediately responded that a provisional charge back would be issues and, indeed, this morning, Chase credited the money back to my account.

Will now wait to see what EasyJet does, but I do have the e-mail from EasyJet promising the reimbursement, so I'd like to think that I shall be fighting this battle while holding the high ground.
Going forward -- and after the CEO's email about how all April flights are cancelled -- if EasyJet contests the chargebacks with regard to these April flights, that would be very bad faith on their part. I hope we don't see that.
Originally Posted by Often1
It is important when submitting a chargeback request, to document it in a way it cannot be refuted (even if contested). Do everything in writing and keep screen shots of webforms and the like. If, for some reason, a conversation is required, write a detailed memo contemporaneously and show the date & time of the call and of your writing.

At a minimum, provide:
1. Copy of your e-ticket receipt showing the routing, flights, and e-ticket number.
2. Copy of cancellation (screen shot if need be)
3. Copy of your request for a reimbursement.
4. Copy of carrier's commitment to reimburse (if given).
These are excellent points. In retrospect, I wish I had taken screen shots for point 3, since my request was essentially by pushing a button that they presented to me. However, I do have 4 (as well as 1 and 2), and there is a sense in which 4 implies 3.

When I submitted the charge back request to Chase, I wanted to give them the e-mails (or *.pdf files thereof) for points 1, 2, and 4; but the Chase on-line mechanism did not (does not) have a place to attach files. They did have a box for comments, so I wrote down the sequence of dates corresponding to what I posted here. I will be ready to send Chase this information if and when they get back to me.

Anyhow, thanks for your earlier recommendation (up-thread) to file the charge back request. I would have kept waiting otherwise.
April 5: Got the money back in a provisional credit from Chase.

May 2: Got a letter from Chase indicating that everything is now officially resolved in my favor.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:43 am

May 2: Got a letter from Chase indicating that everything is now officially resolved in my favor.
Bravo! May 8 is the last date for easyJet to challenge my charge dispute. I doubt they will, but if they do, a bunch of newspaper travel reporters are going to hear about it. The Points Guy as well.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive

Bravo! May 8 is the last date for easyJet to challenge my charge dispute. I doubt they will, but if they do, a bunch of newspaper travel reporters are going to hear about it. The Points Guy as well.
Yeah, what I found interesting in my case (and you should find encouraging in yours), is that the letter from Chase with the official resolution was less than 30 days from my chargeback. In contrast, for a more garden-variety (less potentially contentious) chargeback started in late February (annoying double-billing from Hyatt not scrubbed at desk as promised), it was closer to six weeks before I got the official "free-and-clear" letter from Chase.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Can anyone tell me please at what stage do EasyJet cancel your flight? I am due to fly on 6th June and want a refund as opposed to a voucher so understand that I must wait for them to cancel. I can see from doing a dummy booking that all flights to Bordeaux are ‘sold out’ on the website or ‘not available‘ if you look on the app from this day on but that they are then available from 1st July. I have had the email offering the voucher and even adding a bonus £10 on top but that would be my decision and one they obviously want me to take. One of my party cannot now travel anyway (I booked for three pax.) Thank you.

Last edited by Shingi; May 13, 2020 at 2:00 pm Reason: Addition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.