Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
True, however the engine was on a Norwegian plane, now they have another aircraft that they use out of service. More loss revenue.
And then yesterday...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsl...cid=spartanntp

A Norwegian Airlines Dreamliner loaded with passengers has been involved in an accident at London's Gatwick Airport, just days after another incident involving the airline and its Dreamliner fleet.

The latest incident happened early Monday morning (local time) when an aircraft due to depart from London for New York was being pushed back from its gate by a tug, before its tail struck a fence on the perimeter of the airport.

The cone of the aircraft's auxiliary power unit was damaged in the collision.

Will they ever get some good news?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:54 am

Looks like the MAX TATL routes all permanently gone:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49337337
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by bman1002
Looks like the MAX TATL routes all permanently gone:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49337337
Year round TATL discount carrier flying is dumber than dirt. They needed to only fly those routes seasonally and redeploy the aircraft to more profitable routes. I expect them to renew some of the routes once the Max returns to service.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
There is nothing which could convince me to purchase a Norwegian ticket at this point unless it is a trip I could care less about. The only thing worse than having one's trip cancelled is being stuck overseas without an easy & cheap way home.
I am still buying tickets to fly DY this quarter. Including for special events.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
https://www.providencejournal.com/ne...ians-departure

They are pulling out of PVD next month.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mary Louise
https://www.providencejournal.com/ne...ians-departure

They are pulling out of PVD next month.
Their long-haul operations have been an expensive, risky gamble, so they are going back to playing penny poker.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder

I am not as courageous as you.

They recently changed my December KTT-HEL flight schedule significantly. I took advantage of that and requested full refund, even though the same flight on AY is much more expensive.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by iahphx
You are correct. With that adjustment, their yields are just poor, and not insanely poor.
I wanted to address Norwegian's yield issue. As you know, long haul flights have a much lower RASM/RASK than short haul flights. Since Norwegian's mix of flights has moved toward long haul flights, RASM/RASK is lower. Should Norwegian decide to shed a lot of their long haul fleet and shift emphasis to short haul flying, their RASM/RASK will increase. Of course, their CASM/CASK will also increase with a shift to shorter flights so it's a question of profitability on their routes.

Norwegian Air Argentina is a financial disaster in the making. For those that don't follow Argentina, they're in the midst of a financial collapse. Norwegian could only have done worse if they had decided to start a South American operation in Venezuela. https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-8-1028443209

Norwegian MUST shed aircraft quickly and shrink the airline significantly if they ever want to return to profitability. Of course their reticence to shrink probably won't stop dumb money from recapitalizing Norwegian.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:38 am

Likewise - just booked Premium both legs for a 3 day work trip end August - £1250 compared to £1900 VAA/Delta, £2200 AA and £2700 BA with only the return leg Premium.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG

I am not as courageous as you.

They recently changed my December KTT-HEL flight schedule significantly. I took advantage of that and requested full refund, even though the same flight on AY is much more expensive.
I am only buying Norwegian tickets for flights being taken in this quarter. In October, I will get a re-evaluation and decide how I continue.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:40 am
Suspended

Norwegian Air Argentina only has 3 planes, all 3 being Boeing 737. That’s minimal exposure given the overall fleet of Norwegian group airlines.

And as anyone who knows Argentina well should know, the collapse of the peso isn’t necessarily the collapse of all travel demand. The people who have money to fly tend to have their assets parked in a way that they can still afford to fly in dollar-denominated terms. Using Norwegian Air Argentina as grounds to question the lifespan of NAS is the weakest of the possible grounds to try to sow anti-NAS panic and sentiment.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:52 am

Norwegian Air Argentina only has 3 planes, all 3 being Boeing 737. That’s minimal exposure given the overall fleet of Norwegian group airlines.

And as anyone who knows Argentina well should know, the collapse of the peso isn’t necessarily the collapse of all travel demand. The people who have money to fly tend to have their assets parked in a way that they can still afford to fly in dollar-denominated terms. Using Norwegian Air Argentina as grounds to question the lifespan of NAS is the weakest of the possible grounds to try to sow anti-NAS panic and sentiment.
While it currently doesn't have much impact on Norwegian's losses, it is an indicator of Norwegian's very poor strategy. They entered a market where the likelihood of profitability is near zero. And their plans called for significant expansion into Argentina prior to the Max grounding.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The three routes dropped yesterday now mean that PVD-DUB flyers will be rerouted out of some other airport, likely BOS and then connect onwards to DUB through CPH or somesuch. Not only the added time & inconvenience of flying xBOS, but the extra time and inconvenience of a connection requiring overflying DUB to double back.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
While it currently doesn't have much impact on Norwegian's losses, it is an indicator of Norwegian's very poor strategy. They entered a market where the likelihood of profitability is near zero.
As was their Caribbean strategy.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
While it currently doesn't have much impact on Norwegian's losses, it is an indicator of Norwegian's very poor strategy. They entered a market where the likelihood of profitability is near zero. And their plans called for significant expansion into Argentina prior to the Max grounding.
I would say their decision to enter the Argentine market was reckless -- like most of their expansion the past few years. No one in their precarious financial situation should have done something as risky as Argentina. To no one's surprise, it doesn't seem to be going well there.

I'm more interested in what's going on with their "core" transatlantic service. They've just pulled all the Dublin transatlantic service on very short notice. The "great experiment" of making Stewart a big NYC gateway (that's funny to even say) is now kaput. Does anyone have a chart of what's actually left in their transatlantic portfolio right now, and what's actually scheduled to operate after the summer season?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.