Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
With all of the aircraft they've ordered that would be hard for them to do.
True, but people may be willing to pay extra to fly 787s on domestic Swedish and Norwegian routes.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by GFrye
True, but people may be willing to pay extra to fly 787s on domestic Swedish and Norwegian routes.
The 787 is an awesome aircraft; I flew it for a while (with the GE engines, not the RR Trent-1000 engine on Norwegian's 787s). The plane does a fantastic job on long haul routes, but I don't see the aircraft as a good choice for short haul routes. Its great strength is that it's able to reach high altitudes quickly and as a result uses very little fuel compared to previous generation aircraft.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
The 787 is an awesome aircraft; I flew it for a while (with the GE engines, not the RR Trent-1000 engine on Norwegian's 787s). The plane does a fantastic job on long haul routes, but I don't see the aircraft as a good choice for short haul routes. Its great strength is that it's able to reach high altitudes quickly and as a result uses very little fuel compared to previous generation aircraft.
To be fair to Norwegian, Boeing sold the Dreamliner as being good for long thin routes. Norwegian has several long thin routes that are clearly not profitable so I think we'll see some paring back of those routes.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:43 am
Suspended

Perhaps Norwegian can get some contracts to use the 787s to fly European charter tourists to Asia.
Delays and cancellations are very common with those flights, so nobody will find Norwegian’s performance out of the ordinary.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More disappointing financial results from Norwegian today.. Their passenger yield is only 5 cents a mile. That's just shockingly low to me. That can't be a business. Established USA airlines whom they are competing against across the Atlantic have 3x that yield.

https://www.reuters.com/article/norw...-idUSL8N252195
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing which could convince me to purchase a Norwegian ticket at this point unless it is a trip I could care less about. The only thing worse than having one's trip cancelled is being stuck overseas without an easy & cheap way home.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But we've all been saying that for a while now. I have warned some friends off Norwegian and they heeded my advice, but it looks like it would have actually worked for them (they are back from their trip now). I guess nobody really knows. But I respect your viewpoint, though.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Concerto
But we've all been saying that for a while now. I have warned some friends off Norwegian and they heeded my advice, but it looks like it would have actually worked for them (they are back from their trip now). I guess nobody really knows. But I respect your viewpoint, though.
You gave great advice. The fact that it all worked out doesn't mean you didn't give good advice.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
More disappointing financial results from Norwegian today.. Their passenger yield is only 5 cents a mile. That's just shockingly low to me. That can't be a business. Established USA airlines whom they are competing against across the Atlantic have 3x that yield.

https://www.reuters.com/article/norw...-idUSL8N252195
Norwegian´s yield numbers are per kilometre.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Concerto
Every time Norwegian has been 'dead', they've been able to secure new funding.
Frankly, I've been completely amazed that people are willing to flush their money down the Norwegian Air investment toilet.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every time Norwegian has been 'dead', they've been able to secure new funding.
Frankly, I've been completely amazed that people are willing to flush their money down the Norwegian Air investment toilet.
It's certainly not easy to kill a Norwegian airline. They seem doomed but, hey, it certainly looks like it could take awhile.

Originally Posted by miikkak
Norwegian´s yield numbers are per kilometre.
You are correct. With that adjustment, their yields are just poor, and not insanely poor.
farci likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
Think it says more about Rolls-Royce than about Norwegian.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
True, however the engine was on a Norwegian plane, now they have another aircraft that they use out of service. More loss revenue.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Mary Louise
True, however the engine was on a Norwegian plane, now they have another aircraft that they use out of service. More loss revenue.
Rolls Royce will have the engine replaced fairly quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.