Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by tgc225
Does anyone have any insight on Norwegian's Oakland routes? I was looking at OAK-BCN a few weeks ago and I could have sworn winter flights were available, but it doesn't appear that Norwegian is listing any flights from Oakland to any destination beginning November (the only Bay Area winter route available is SFO-GTW). I thought maybe the winter schedule wasn't released yet, but I checked LAX and FLL as a sample and they have winter flights listed for a handful of their cities.
interesting that Norwegian did in fact move flights to London only from OAK to SFO. I would think that Winter would be loaded in their booking engine for OAK by now but, umm, yeah no flights from OAK to either BCN or ARN after 10/27.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by tgc225
Does anyone have any insight on Norwegian's Oakland routes? I was looking at OAK-BCN a few weeks ago and I could have sworn winter flights were available, but it doesn't appear that Norwegian is listing any flights from Oakland to any destination beginning November (the only Bay Area winter route available is SFO-GTW). I thought maybe the winter schedule wasn't released yet, but I checked LAX and FLL as a sample and they have winter flights listed for a handful of their cities.
I’m pretty sure that Norwegian doesn’t fly to Holešov (GTW) (the airport has been closed since 2009). Gatwick (LGW) seems much more likely.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:13 am

Sorry about that! I'm still a newbie As to the previous post, yes, Norwegian moved OAK-LGW to SFO-LGW at the end of March this year, I guess as an attempt to get more competitive for business travelers out of San Francisco. That's their most frequent route, and given that it's available through the winter, I guess it's popular. As for Oakland, I know Norwegian's flown at a reduced amount of days to destinations during past winters, so it seems odd that the entire calendar just drops off right after October. I used the Destination page calendar view to check:

https://www.norwegian.com/us/destinations/SanFranciscoOakland-Alldestinations?SplitDatesInto=3&UseDates=True&D_D ay=01&D_Month=201909&D_Day_End=30&D_Month_End=2019 11&CurrencyCode=USD&IncludeTransit=False

You can see November is blank for all six destinations.

Last edited by tgc225; Jun 9, 2019 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:10 pm

Looks like these articles answer my questions:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...l-14077892.php
https://ftnnews.com/aviation/37377-n...-san-francisco

Barcelona and Paris are moving to SFO for the winter schedule, and the remaining Oakland flights are changing to summer seasonal flights to return at some point next year.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Norwegian’s founder and (now former) CEO has been pushed out of his job by the board of directors of the company, and he wasn’t even given a chance to stay on in his role as CEO for even 24 more hours.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:26 pm

Interesting. I just googled it and all the articles state that he stepped down / retired. He's 72 so isn't it logical he retires?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Interesting. I just googled it and all the articles state that he stepped down / retired. He's 72 so isn't it logical he retires?
A planned retirement with no advance notice and made effective immediately, and done with no permanent successor named? That’s not usually how age-based retirements go in this area.

The “step down” and “retirement” language are efforts at face-saving statements and spin, for a person whose termination in his role as CEO was made basically effective immediately on the day of the board decision — instead of with even a “stay on for X more days” and/or “stay on until a permanent replacement is found” type situation that is typical when the departure is voluntary and under the unilaterally-desired terms of the departing.

Many a founder-come-substantial -shareholder of a relatively sizeable company considers the founders company to be almost like a child with whom they won’t voluntarily and completely separate away from until the child and/or others push the parent away to let them go on their own way.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 12, 2019 at 7:59 am
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:29 pm

Point taken. I do hope they survive.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:07 pm
Suspended

I can’t foresee Fredriksen backing NAS with a lot more money than he already has used, so I expect NAS long-haul routes in particular are going to be taking a much more brutal reduction ahead (and sooner) than was alreadyplanned to be on the chopping block.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by GUWonder

A planned retirement with no advance notice and made effective immediately, and done with no permanent successor named? That’s not usually how age-based retirements go in this area.

The “step down” and “retirement” language are efforts at face-saving statements and spin, for a person whose termination in his role as CEO was made basically effective immediately on the day of the board decision — instead of with even a “stay on for X more days” and/or “stay on until a permanent replacement is found” type situation that is typical when the departure is voluntary and under the unilaterally-desired terms of the departing.

Many a founder-come-substantial -shareholder of a relatively sizeable company considers the founders company to be almost like a child with whom they won’t voluntarily and completely separate away from until the child and/or others push the parent away to let them go on their own way.
Kjos has been quoted multiple times in the last 6 months as a minimum in various articles stating that he was going to retire this summer. It was a surprise to no one paying attention. And if you knew anything about Kjos, you'd know that he had total control of the board. Kjos and Kise have been the largest shareholders for a very, very long time.
farci likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Kjos has been quoted multiple times in the last 6 months as a minimum in various articles stating that he was going to retire this summer. It was a surprise to no one paying attention. And if you knew anything about Kjos, you'd know that he had total control of the board. Kjos and Kise have been the largest shareholders for a very, very long time.
Fredriksen had Kjos on notice from the start of the year.

Knowing of pending defeat isn’t the same thing as knowing the date of defeat in advance.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:54 am

Wasn't he dead against IAG buyout, maybe the board is warming to that idea and his exit is probably the first step.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Wasn't he dead against IAG buyout, maybe the board is warming to that idea and his exit is probably the first step.
Yes. If Fredriksen can get an IAG board seat for one of his daughters and get taken out at a profit, he would probably jump on it.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Fredriksen had Kjos on notice from the start of the year.

Knowing of pending defeat isn’t the same thing as knowing the date of defeat in advance.
That's funny stuff there. Kjos has and continues to control the board. Fredriksen is just dumb money; he's not able to dictate any terms.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
That's funny stuff there. Kjos has and continues to control the board. Fredriksen is just dumb money; he's not able to dictate any terms.
Fredriksen’s dumb money? Then what does that make Kjos, moron money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.