Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
The three routes dropped yesterday now mean that PVD-DUB flyers will be rerouted out of some other airport, likely BOS and then connect onwards to DUB through CPH or somesuch. Not only the added time & inconvenience of flying xBOS, but the extra time and inconvenience of a connection requiring overflying DUB to double back.
No worse than some of the things AA, DL and UA have done to me when they cancelled flights.
James91 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:16 am
Suspended

The three routes dropped yesterday now mean that PVD-DUB flyers will be rerouted out of some other airport, likely BOS and then connect onwards to DUB through CPH or somesuch. Not only the added time & inconvenience of flying xBOS, but the extra time and inconvenience of a connection requiring overflying DUB to double back.
The only year-round Norwegian route from Boston goes to Gatwick. Norwegian doesn't fly from Gatwick to Dublin, so anyone originally booked PVD-DUB would have to go through a lot of hoops to get to DUB. Most likely, Norwegian will be reluctant to rebook on another airline, and the only thing Norwegian will offer is refunding the ticket and let the passenger figure it out on their own.
At least with airlines like Delta, American, etc, they're often able (and willing) to rebook a passenger on their own aircraft or on partners to fly from the original departure airport to the original destination, although the routing may get more complicated and/or the flight times less convenient.
gab787 likes this.

Last edited by GFrye; Aug 15, 2019 at 4:41 am
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
To add to the other posters I am still flying them West Coast to the UK, not booking too far out though. The Premium product is great for a 10 hr flight and beats UA/VS/BA. I would still highly recommend it and hope they make it.

Strategic mistake on the lounge access and on board drinks etc. I think the vision at Norwegian is gone. Zero interest on their part on building a brand and how to make total revenue $ per flight work. They never did understand how business travel works either and the need to actually deal with IROPS for high yield PAX and answer the phone. Companies like Southwest handle all this fine and to their credit United is proactive, even before anything goes wrong.

Norwegian even on a Premium fare, text you that you can get a refund and that is it, Do not even answer the phone. Not a great Premium strategy! Once you lose a customer they tend not to come back. Even at places like LGW they have zero customer facing employees who can actually do anything.

A pity they could not focus on something that makes money. RR and Boeing did not help but that is a poor excuse.
iahphx and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by phil94028

Strategic mistake on the lounge access and on board drinks etc.
Has something changed with this recently? I do know that they have removed lounge access for discount Premium Economy tickets and only offer it for full-fare Prem Econ Flex. Has there been a recent change regarding on board drinks for Premium passengers as well?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GFrye

The only year-round Norwegian route from Boston goes to Gatwick. Norwegian doesn't fly from Gatwick to Dublin, so anyone originally booked PVD-DUB would have to go through a lot of hoops to get to DUB. Most likely, Norwegian will be reluctant to rebook on another airline, and the only thing Norwegian will offer is refunding the ticket and let the passenger figure it out on their own.
At least with airlines like Delta, American, etc, they're often able (and willing) to rebook a passenger on their own aircraft or on partners to fly from the original departure airport to the original destination, although the routing may get more complicated and/or the flight times less convenient.
As I noted, they are routing DUB pax via CPH. Thus, PVD-DUB nonstop becomes Ground travel to BOS, followed by BOS-CPH connecting to CPH-DUB, with the ground transport on your own nickel.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended

As I noted, they are routing DUB pax via CPH. Thus, PVD-DUB nonstop becomes Ground travel to BOS, followed by BOS-CPH connecting to CPH-DUB, with the ground transport on your own nickel.
They don’t fly BOS-CPH nonstop, so it’d become BOS-LGW-CPH-DUB or BOS-MAD/CDG/FCO-CPH-DUB (when the seasonal flights operate).
A halfway decent airline would offer to rebook passengers on the BDL-DUB or BOS-DUB flights on EI, but I doubt Norwegian would offer that.

Edit: Norwegian’s CPH-DUB flights end in October, so then the reroute would have to go through ARN or OSL instead.

Last edited by GFrye; Aug 15, 2019 at 9:13 am
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GFrye

They don’t fly BOS-CPH nonstop, so it’d become BOS-LGW-CPH-DUB or BOS-MAD/CDG/FCO-CPH-DUB (when the seasonal flights operate).
A halfway decent airline would offer to rebook passengers on the BDL-DUB or BOS-DUB flights on EI, but I doubt Norwegian would offer that.

Edit: Norwegian’s CPH-DUB flights end in October, so then the reroute would have to go through ARN or OSL instead.
Norwegian does not have interline agreements. Just like most LCC's. Thus, there are no reroutes on other carriers and thus one of the greatest reasons never to have booked in the first place.

Even before the cancellations, routine IRROPS turns into a mess and a very, very expensive mess if one does not have solid travel insurance.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:56 pm

Lounge etc.

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Has something changed with this recently? I do know that they have removed lounge access for discount Premium Economy tickets and only offer it for full-fare Prem Econ Flex. Has there been a recent change regarding on board drinks for Premium passengers as well?
The problem is that most people flying United (the dominant carrier) on any kind regular basis of SFO have Gold or better, so even in the back of the bus you get lounge access. Even with a branded credit card I think. Bad marketing to make you look like you you are an "undesirable", if buy a discount ticket in Premium. Makes them look like an airline struggling to pay the bills ... which actually they are! Last year they did lounge for all.

Silly stuff but if you want to lure the non backpack people away from the majors at SFO and get the $ yield per flight up, you have to have a soft product game too. They already did the OAK->SFO move and pay the price for that.

As others have pointed out, big vision and not a focus on winning on specific routes. The airlines they want to compete with are serious and Norwegian do not seem to get that. They still get my money and the in flight staff are great. Plan B always needed but they have actually been pretty reliable lately.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:38 am

Yes, I knew about the change to lounge access and agree it is poor form. Premium Economy should provide lounge access, whether or not the 'discounted' ticket is purchased. Luckily, I have Priority Pass that is valid in the lounges I frequent most when flying Norwegian, so I'm still able to access the identical lounges as before.

It was your comment about on board drinks that had me curious. Has this changed? Are they now limiting them, or charging, in Premium? Not that it matters much anymore if all the TATL routes are essentially disappearing.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Yes, I knew about the change to lounge access and agree it is poor form. Premium Economy should provide lounge access, whether or not the 'discounted' ticket is purchased. Luckily, I have Priority Pass that is valid in the lounges I frequent most when flying Norwegian, so I'm still able to access the identical lounges as before.

It was your comment about on board drinks that had me curious. Has this changed? Are they now limiting them, or charging, in Premium? Not that it matters much anymore if all the TATL routes are essentially disappearing.
While it should be self-evident that I am not a fan of Norwegian, less so now that it is circling the drain, what ought to be included (or not) is a matter of consumer pricing and demand.

There is no such thing as free access to a lounge or alcohol. A service is either included or not. The question then is in the case of Norwegian's market are passengers willing to pay for these enhanced services through higher ticket prices.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
While it should be self-evident that I am not a fan of Norwegian, less so now that it is circling the drain, what ought to be included (or not) is a matter of consumer pricing and demand.

There is no such thing as free access to a lounge or alcohol. A service is either included or not. The question then is in the case of Norwegian's market are passengers willing to pay for these enhanced services through higher ticket prices.
A macro-cosmic response may be true, but that response is neither of relevance to, nor an answer for, the question asked by SusanDK. But if you have an answer to SusanDK’s question, then the people who are interested in the answer to the relevant question and care about the inclusion/exclusion of alcoholic beverages would have something factual to consider when it comes to booking and flying Norwegian flights.

I get it that the supporters of the US3 lobbying groups don’t like Norwegian and want to see Norwegian disappear like yesterday, but wishing for Norwegian to be buried and trying to give the Airlines For America lobbying group type of spin doesn’t answer SusanDK’s question.
SusanDK and notquiteaff like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To add to the other posters I am still flying them West Coast to the UK, not booking too far out though. The Premium product is great for a 10 hr flight and beats UA/VS/BA. I would still highly recommend it and hope they make it.

Strategic mistake on the lounge access and on board drinks etc. I think the vision at Norwegian is gone. Zero interest on their part on building a brand and how to make total revenue $ per flight work. They never did understand how business travel works either and the need to actually deal with IROPS for high yield PAX and answer the phone. Companies like Southwest handle all this fine and to their credit United is proactive, even before anything goes wrong.

Norwegian even on a Premium fare, text you that you can get a refund and that is it, Do not even answer the phone. Not a great Premium strategy! Once you lose a customer they tend not to come back. Even at places like LGW they have zero customer facing employees who can actually do anything.

A pity they could not focus on something that makes money. RR and Boeing did not help but that is a poor excuse.
I agree, you can't successfully offer a premium product without premium service -- or at least REASONABLE service. People who fly upfront are obviously valuing things other than just the lowest price.

Meanwhile, I've been helping out a few friends and family this week who are planning various early fall trips from the USA to Europe. Norwegian had no price advantage over their competitors, except if you were just looking for a one-way ticket. At the same price, who now is going to mess with Norwegian if there are reasonable alternatives? Few, I suspect, which isn't going to help their cause. FWIW, the best travel option for most of my friends was to use their DL miles. DL is (was?) having a "flash sale" charging about 30,000 miles roundtrip for Sept. coach travel to many European destinations. DL is obviously a decent airline, and for that price they get a seat assignment and even a free checked bag. With the advent of "basic economy" across the Atlantic, using miles can be a good deal when they have special pricing.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:39 pm

Economy

Originally Posted by iahphx
I . With the advent of "basic economy" across the Atlantic, using miles can be a good deal when they have special pricing.
100% agree on the legacy carriers for E-. They must really be hurting Norwegian. Premium is a really great on board hard product for the money. BA flirt with competing in WT+, they are not that serious about it. Selling a few Basic Economy seats is one thing ... killing your margin on the forward cabins is another. For anyone doing a once in a lifetime (or year) long haul roundtrip, a few months out, Norwegian may not be ideal/cheap/risk free.

For any kind of business travel, the Southwest model where you *always* buy one ways and they are refundable/re-fareable, seems to work for them. This round trip thing for TATL is silly. For close in, just jump on the bus, Premium travel, Norwegian are perfect. United *always* have last minute cheap one way mileage seats, if anything goes wrong with DY/Rednose.

Surviving the winter is going to be the hard part! The MAX mess may actually help with that problem and stop them doing stupid things. As someone pointed out the value of the Trent 787s on the balance sheet is a whole other problem for them. Think this is the only airframe you can swap engines to the other vendor post manufacture so maybe GE will come to the rescue, with a trade in plan!

All that being said ... Norwegian still get my travel for US-UK. I hope they keep at it with a less crazy business plan and management. Head to head with the majors, you really need to focus route by route! Laker and People Express did not have much fun doing that, nor did Virgin but for them service and not price let them survive (kindof).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:29 pm

To kindof answer Susan

Originally Posted by GUWonder

A macro-cosmic response may be true, but that response is neither of relevance to, nor an answer for, the question asked by SusanDK. But if you have an answer to SusanDK’s question, then the people who are interested in the answer to the relevant question and care about the inclusion/exclusion of alcoholic beverages would have something factual to consider when it comes to booking and flying Norwegian flights.

I get it that the supporters of the US3 lobbying groups don’t like Norwegian and want to see Norwegian disappear like yesterday, but wishing for Norwegian to be buried and trying to give the Airlines For America lobbying group type of spin doesn’t answer SusanDK’s question.
To answer Susan, Norwegian do not serve anything other than free Wine/Beer any more in Premium plus the marginal but quite survivable food. I think now the same as what United offers in even Basic Economy but I may be wrong. DY has free wifi now on some 787-9's though but it has never worked on a flight I have been on. This is expensive on a legacy carrier, so would more than compensate for the lack of free cocktails!

Lounge access pretty much everyone has anyway if they stick to a carrier they have status with, or PP. The problem is that this creates sales friction by telling people if they buy a cheap Premium fare, they are not really valued as customers verses their status carrier. This is silly for probably the $20 or so Norwegian have to pay for it.

The idiot carry on weighing, for people who get free checked bags anyway, is another negative (non revenue producing) "feature". This makes people think they are on a dinky basic Premium product, regardless of fare paid . Norwegian marketing need to fly the competition and not stick to a vision of their model. There are good reasons why Southwest/EasyJet/RyanAir do not want to play the 2 cabin game and this is another one of them.

Would be nice if Norwegian monitored flyertalk. United and Southwest do for sure and respond.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:03 am

To answer Susan, Norwegian do not serve anything other than free Wine/Beer any more in Premium plus the marginal but quite survivable food. I think now the same as what United offers in even Basic Economy but I may be wrong. DY has free wifi now on some 787-9's though but it has never worked on a flight I have been on. This is expensive on a legacy carrier, so would more than compensate for the lack of free cocktails!

Lounge access pretty much everyone has anyway if they stick to a carrier they have status with, or PP. The problem is that this creates sales friction by telling people if they buy a cheap Premium fare, they are not really valued as customers verses their status carrier. This is silly for probably the $20 or so Norwegian have to pay for it.

The idiot carry on weighing, for people who get free checked bags anyway, is another negative (non revenue producing) "feature". This makes people think they are on a dinky basic Premium product, regardless of fare paid . Norwegian marketing need to fly the competition and not stick to a vision of their model. There are good reasons why Southwest/EasyJet/RyanAir do not want to play the 2 cabin game and this is another one of them.

Would be nice if Norwegian monitored flyertalk. United and Southwest do for sure and respond.
Agree on all points. I've been flying Norwegian transatlantic 5 or 6 times a year for quite a while now. Considering the comfort of the seat and the price I don't mind some of the extra perks going away. I'm always able to a find Priority Pass lounge now that lounge access is no longer included with discounted Premium tickets. Hard liquor is still available if you pay for it so that's not a big deal either.

The carry-on issue really does puzzle me. The allowance in discounted Premium is 10 kg. vs. 15 kg. in ful fare Premium. The consistency of having your carry-on weighed varies wildly. At some airports they will never weigh it, at some they will always weigh it and at some it seems like it's up to the check-in person.

Also, I find it funny that there' are posters here who've been posting about Norwegians imminent demise for years now.
James91 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.