Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Fredriksen’s dumb money? Then what does that make Kjos, moron money?
I'm surprised you even bothered asking me that question.
Kjos was a genius running Norwegian as a European airline until he decided to
1) Place orders for a bazillion new aircraft and
2) Expand the airline at an unsustainable pace.

Given Norwegian's horrendous Q2, do you think there is any more dumb money out there willing to dump money into the endless black hole known as Norwegian?

As far as IAG, I doubt that their offer was more than a very lowball number. If there was even an offer made.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:44 pm
Suspended

If IAG actually has any interest in Norwegian, they'll probably wait for the liquidation sale.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by GFrye
If IAG actually has any interest in Norwegian, they'll probably wait for the liquidation sale.
There really isn't much there.
Norwegian's 787s have Trent-1000 engines so those planes are worth less than what's owed on them.
Norwegian's Maxs … well, I don't need to comment on them.
They don't have valuable gates/slots.

The rest of their fleet has some value but they're mostly older airframes. Maybe a few A320 series are newish. I love the A320 series but they're throwaway aircraft and their replacement parts are very expensive.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DY’s ARN-Orlando and CPH-FLL are meeting their end. When was that announced?

Not surprised that those would go early on, as the relatively strong USD and other factors hit demand from primarily DKK/SEK earners.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm unsure of the sophistication of Norwegian's customers, but there have been a lot of cheapo airfares across the Atlantic this year for folks who can plan ahead. Like every week has sub $300 fares to Spain, and there are $300 "sales" to many other destinations as well. This can't be good for Norwegian as, I suspect, most of their clientele flies them when everyone else is expensive.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
DY’s ARN-Orlando and CPH-FLL are meeting their end. When was that announced?

Not surprised that those would go early on, as the relatively strong USD and other factors hit demand from primarily DKK/SEK earners.
DY was never one to announce changes in advance. They pick routes based on tarffic data, launch it, and quickly bury them when the expected revenue doesn't show.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Norwegian Air Cancels Hundreds of Flights to the United States
​​​​​​​

The Oslo-based budget airline is cutting hundreds of regular winter flights from its schedule thanks to a new business model. Norwegian is moving from growth to profitability now that it has become Scandinavia’s largest airline and Europe’s eighth-largest (in terms of numbers). This means that Norwegian is cutting up to 25% of its flights, including 3 from Los Angeles LAX, 2 from New York JFK, and 3 from Copenhagen CPH. It isn’t yet known whether some or any of these suspended routes will return for the 2020/21 season, or if they will be canceled entirely.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
This is just the start of it IMO.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Any thoughts on Norwegian's solvency by late Sept/early Oct? I was thinking of booking two refundable premium economy tickets for LAX-MAD as a backup in the event that 2 business class FF seats on *A don't show up by then. I think my odds of getting something usable in business on *A is probably >80%, so the odds of me cancelling and refunding are pretty good.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any additional details on this? Obviously, it was inevitable. What we'll have to see is whether the airline can remain solvent, and how much (if any) transatlantic service will remain.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by mtimmer
Any thoughts on Norwegian's solvency by late Sept/early Oct? I was thinking of booking two refundable premium economy tickets for LAX-MAD as a backup in the event that 2 business class FF seats on *A don't show up by then. I think my odds of getting something usable in business on *A is probably >80%, so the odds of me cancelling and refunding are pretty good.
Isn't that a matter between your credit card provider and Norwegian? Or does that only apply to European customers?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Norwegian is moving from growth to profitability now
Thank you for the nice laugh!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mtimmer
This airline's been kept alive for several years by new dumb money investing in the airline. Multiple times. There seems to be an endless supply of dumb investors so another capital raise to keep Norwegian alive isn't out of the question.
iahphx likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Thank you for the nice laugh!
If they want profitability, it’s pretty simple: shut down long haul operations and concentrate on intra-European traffic.
Basically, become the same company they once were.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:13 pm

If they want profitability, it’s pretty simple: shut down long haul operations and concentrate on intra-European traffic.
Basically, become the same company they once were.
With all of the aircraft they've ordered that would be hard for them to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.