Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly me to the Stars
Also, I find it funny that there' are posters here who've been posting about Norwegians imminent demise for years now.
Compare their TATL route network to what they had a couple of years ago. Which way are things headed?
A slow death is still a death.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Fly me to the Stars
Agree on all points. I've been flying Norwegian transatlantic 5 or 6 times a year for quite a while now. Considering the comfort of the seat and the price I don't mind some of the extra perks going away. I'm always able to a find Priority Pass lounge now that lounge access is no longer included with discounted Premium tickets. Hard liquor is still available if you pay for it so that's not a big deal either.

The carry-on issue really does puzzle me. The allowance in discounted Premium is 10 kg. vs. 15 kg. in ful fare Premium. The consistency of having your carry-on weighed varies wildly. At some airports they will never weigh it, at some they will always weigh it and at some it seems like it's up to the check-in person.

Also, I find it funny that there' are posters here who've been posting about Norwegians imminent demise for years now.
"Imminent" ???

Norwegian's TATL route network is less than half of what it was 12 months ago and a number of cuts are from stations where the alternative is quite a hike to a frequency still on the books.

I suppose that if you define operations as existing until the last aircraft is returned to its leaseholder, you are correct. It's not how I look at it and it's not how most travellers look at it.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Well, I have my fingers crossed for my 2 premium seats booked 8/20 for BCN-FLL. I booked those back in early May, when E- was at least $2000 on legacy carriers. If they are still in business, and no more 787's drop out of the fleet, I should make it!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:01 pm

I was downgraded from Premium to Economy on an old 767 without any premium cabin, FCO to EWR on Sunday, Aug. 18th. I got to FCO ok but this was awful. Norwegian sent me a seat assignment for a window seat two rows from the back of the plane. 2-4-2 configuration. When I called, the woman told me that they would issue the 75% refund when they felt like it and that supervisors were for internal use only and were not there to talk to any customers. I actually paid for Premium Flex, so the 75% refund isn't much compensation. Then I got to to FCO to check in and was able to choose a bulkhead seat. Got on the plane and my seat didn't exist and the 22 year old FAs from "Euro Atlantic" told us, it was "open seating." Seat was smaller than any plane I've ever traveled on. When there were children getting separated from their parents, the FAs told us it wasn't their job. I have received no response to my tweet, my email to the head of "customer service" or on FB. I will never fly Norwegian again. It's not worth the difference in fare.

I don't see how this method could be profitable. They leased a much smaller plane without a premium section so have to refund 75% of the entire premium cabin's fares. Then they asked for volunteers to go on later flights so had to offer compensation for each of those people. How is this profitable? I was notified of the downgrade less than 48 hours before my flight so there was no way to get another flight for the fare I paid had I accepted a refund.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by jennj99738
I don't see how this method could be profitable. They leased a much smaller plane without a premium section so have to refund 75% of the entire premium cabin's fares. Then they asked for volunteers to go on later flights so had to offer compensation for each of those people. How is this profitable? I was notified of the downgrade less than 48 hours before my flight so there was no way to get another flight for the fare I paid had I accepted a refund.
Norwegian's not profitable. They are able to keep flying due to investors recapitalizing the company over the last few years. Essentially, investors are paying for part of the price of each flyers' tickets.

How much longer can they keep it going? I give up. They should have gone out of business a couple of years ago. Norwegian now seems to be aggressively selling assets to keep the airline afloat. They're selling their stake in Norwegian Finans Holding for ~$200 million. That will help them make their December debt payments (it doesn't cover it 100%). They'll still need to sell more assets and/or recapitalize with more investor money this winter.
Based on past recapitalizations, I have little doubt that there's still a lot of dumb investor money chomping at the bit to invest in this equine dogfood of a company. This company reminds me of the old man from the scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail - Bring out your dead.
This is a zombie company that will likely die without much/any advance warning.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I was downgraded from Premium to Economy on an old 767 without any premium cabin, FCO to EWR on Sunday, Aug. 18th. I got to FCO ok but this was awful. Norwegian sent me a seat assignment for a window seat two rows from the back of the plane. 2-4-2 configuration. When I called, the woman told me that they would issue the 75% refund when they felt like it and that supervisors were for internal use only and were not there to talk to any customers. I actually paid for Premium Flex, so the 75% refund isn't much compensation. Then I got to to FCO to check in and was able to choose a bulkhead seat. Got on the plane and my seat didn't exist and the 22 year old FAs from "Euro Atlantic" told us, it was "open seating." Seat was smaller than any plane I've ever traveled on. When there were children getting separated from their parents, the FAs told us it wasn't their job. I have received no response to my tweet, my email to the head of "customer service" or on FB. I will never fly Norwegian again. It's not worth the difference in fare.
EuroAtlantic is pretty crappy. I've had the "pleasure" to fly their regularly-scheduled service OXB-LIS earlier this year. 3-3-3 config, no IFE. The 30" pitch felt like 28" (old well-cushioned seats), and the crew was "young, cute and stupid"™ and didn't give a damn about service.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:34 am

Advice needed.

We have one more trip to book this year between MCO-CPH. Outbound is September and there is availability on the direct flight which we are tempted to book, hoping that a flight that is only 3-4 weeks away is still somewhat safe, i.e. DY will not cease to operate before then.

However, our return will not be until early December. While I would prefer not to book anything until closer to the date, I have to book a return ticket (at least for myself, not my husband) because I'm required to have a return ticket from Schengen within 90 days or won't be able to board the outbound. The direct CPH-MCO flight is gone by then, so it would be a CPH-LGW-MCO routing.

I realize this is a crystal ball question, but what does everyone think about the chances of these flights surviving?

EDITED: Should something happen and Norwegian goes bankrupt and/or cancels the flights, what type of travel insurance should I have on hand in advance that would protect us? Will a chargeback to AmEx Centurion be allowed? [EDIT: I originally asked about AmEx Platinum UK travel insurance but have since read and they only cover $250 if a flight is cancelled.]

Last edited by SusanDK; Aug 25, 2019 at 8:41 am
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Who told you of the need for a return ticket?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by duvin
Who told you of the need for a return ticket?
I have been denied boarding in the past when I did not have a return ticket. So now, when I don't know my actual return date, I purchase a full fare one-way return and then refund it once I land. Then book my real return once I know my date.

I've looked up the rule and while it only requires proof that you can pay your way, it isn't worth the hassle to argue with the GA and/or customs agent on arrival.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by SusanDK
I have been denied boarding in the past when I did not have a return ticket. So now, when I don't know my actual return date, I purchase a full fare one-way return and then refund it once I land. Then book my real return once I know my date.

I've looked up the rule and while it only requires proof that you can pay your way, it isn't worth the hassle to argue with the GA and/or customs agent on arrival.
I’ve never heard of that requirement for Schengen as naturally only means of subsistence are required. Some other places do require a ticket out of the country though. You can always buy a fully refundable ticket out of Schengen (even shorthaul) just to make you feel better.

The officer scrutinizing your entry will be an immigration officer rather than customs - the customs officer cares more about what you’re carrying in.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:26 am

Yes, as I mentioned upthread, I've always purchased a fully refundable ticket when I don't' know my exact return date. And I know the requirement is means of subsistence, but that does not mean a GA won't give one a hassle. It happens. I've been doing this a lot of years.

And, of course, I mis-wrote customs for immigration.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Norwegian has the Boeing 'goldcare' MRO package that pays for wetleasing replacement aircraft when their fleet is not available. If you look at the current permissions for wetlease with the DOT (https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOT-OST-2017-0044) (starts at page 9) they have Evelop, HiFly, Privilege Style, Wamos, etc lined up to fly while the 737 MAX are grounded and the 787 engines are being checked. So no financial loss for them.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:54 am
Suspended

While the GoldCare package covers the wet leasing costs, does it cover other costs for Norwegian, for example downgrade reimbursement, delay compensation, and VDB compensation?
In addition, Norwegian's reputation has obviously taken a hit because of the numerous cancellations, delays, and service downgrades caused by Boing aircraft issues since they started flying the 787. Will Boeing compensate Norwegian for that?

Last edited by GFrye; Aug 26, 2019 at 8:04 am
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, that pain is lessened by the great deal they got on some new B787 and Max orders
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, that pain is lessened by the great deal they got on some new B787 and Max orders
... and they look really pretty on the ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.