Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by gab787
But it looks like XL Airways (EWR-CDG) is even doing worse and may have to abandon EWR soon, following the path of WOW and Primera. Corsair and French Bee are planning to start operating out of EWR next summer but Corsair is already in a poor financial shape. Hopefully French Bee makes it so that the ticket prices do not explode.
La Compagnie's been operating EWR-ORY for more than a few years and they show no sign of going out of business. Of course they're low fare all business class but they seem to be pricing their tickets properly.
gab787 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:39 am

French newspapers seem to agree that despite the fact that XL Airways and la Compagnie are both subsidiaries of the same holding "DreamJet Participations", XL Airways troubles should not have a negative impact on La Compagnie.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by djplong
And I don't think the fact that JetBlue is going to get into the transatlantic market will make it any easier for them.
JetBlue going t/atl is going to be a game changer.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
JetBlue going t/atl is going to be a game changer.
Hopefully they have learned from Norwegian's failed TATL strategy. The fact that an airline can successfully operate short-to-medium distance flights doesn't mean that it can operate long-distance flights using the same strategy and business plan.
Often1 and Bohinjska Bistrica like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a world of difference operating a limited domestic network through JFK, alongside a very limited leisure operation to the Carribean and running an operation which is both competetive and profitable as a new entrant.

Don't forget that there really are all those funny people over in Europe who spend a ton of money flying to the US and have never heard of B6.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
There is a world of difference operating a limited domestic network through JFK, alongside a very limited leisure operation to the Carribean and running an operation which is both competetive and profitable as a new entrant.

Don't forget that there really are all those funny people over in Europe who spend a ton of money flying to the US and have never heard of B6.
JetBlue should have a reasonable shot of success across the Atlantic. They will be doing it from a hub airport, offering the essential premium product and pricing rationally. But it's no sure thing. People always forget that, as a business (as opposed to as a "concept"), JetBlue has never been terribly successful. I doubt they'll be as successful as the major US airlines in these markets.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
After all that has occurred, anyone traveling on DY without a solid travel policy which covers all of the eventualities here, including having to travel in order to catch a flight elsewhere or to sit somewhere for a few days, has no useful complaint here if it happens to them.
You're only referring to transatlantic flights here, right? I don't really see any problems using DY/D8 intra-nordic.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thomas Cook's demise is also breathing a bit of fresh life into Norwegian.

My Norwegian ticket buying habits continue as is, and I expect to continue flying Norwegian intra-Europe for all of the current year.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 10:03 pm

B6 flies from BOS to the west coast and MEX. Flight time is about the same as flying east coast to UK. I think I will choose B6 over DY because the entertainment system is much better. Also, at least BOS to LGW the large DY 787s are always packed 9 across.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Norwegian's third quarter numbers were exceptionally good; as long as they don't burn through their cash this winter, it looks like they're finally on the road to recovery. Looks like replacing the CEO was just what this company needed.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:00 am

One Mile At The Time has a good analysis imho https://onemileatatime.com/norwegian-record-profits/ I remain in the "wait and see" camp.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Norwegian has a boatload of debt that could sink it, but it won’t sink it anytime very soon.

I am buying DY tickets for flights during the rest of this quarter and most of the next. I would buy their flights as usual for me into the second half of 2020, but my plans don’t hold up that long most times.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:16 am

Have they reinstated some of the TATL routes that were previously announced as dropped? I'm checking now and see the direct CPH-MCO available beginning again in late March 2020 through mid-October. Although the FLL flight is still permanently gone.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They have announced new routes too: Paris-Austin for example.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Norwegian's third quarter numbers were exceptionally good; as long as they don't burn through their cash this winter, it looks like they're finally on the road to recovery. Looks like replacing the CEO was just what this company needed.
Yes, very good results indeed. And their Q2 operating numbers were much improved YOY but masked by crippling interest and debt repayments. Q3 saw an (almost) equally good operating margin gain (+7%) and less debt and interest burden.

The MAX grounding helped Norwegian, as they were forced to cut capacity and for once did the right thing by nixing the worst performing routes. Now the focus is on keeping capacity under control, with a 10% cut in ASKs next year.

Getting rid of Kjos was the right thing to do. They should have ditched him 18 months ago but at least he went just before the damage he did was completely irreparable. Though he “retired” on good terms in July it looks to me as though he’d been marginalized before the end of Q1, maybe at the behest of John Fredriksen when he agreed to underwrite the 3Bn NOK rights issue back in February. Management had started to behave financially responsibly (very un-Kjos like) from about March. Funny how that aircraft leasing JV had been “just a few weeks away” for three quarters under Kjos, and once he’d gone the new management finally closed the deal.

They havr a reasonable chance of survival. Though if I were management I’d be looking for an acquisition. Virgin Atlantic anyone? If they want those Heathrow slots when (if) runway 3 opens they’re going to need the aircraft and crews to fill them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.