Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I've already had one prediction today that was spot on for this thread. I'm good with that:

As predicted, you poo poo'd the very accurate data that I provided.

Just buy some Norwegian Air bonds since you're confident that they'll be around for a while...
You didn’t spend “several hours to locate and post data” to post data meeting my request. So your claim suspecting that I would “poo poo” data meeting my request remains meritless. If you spent several hours to look up data in response to my post, it seems your connection to rather simple Google search must have been slower than it really was.

Your post above, like the earlier ones in response to my request for data, seem to be about avoiding answering rather simple questions and are examples of providing non-answer responses in response to questions. Surely the following two questions are not so hard to answer without you having to spend several hours looking up data you claimed to already know:

1. So you’re less confident than I am that DY will be flying this whole summer?

2. On which date do you want to call the summer over for purpose of visiting the accuracy of our separate “no prediction” predictions?

Responding to these two questions with an answer — not a non-answer response — doesn’t require genius; it just requires a willingness to engage in an honest approach in a debate.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 28, 2019 at 12:30 am
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
You have no idea how long I spent verifying through multiple sources that I posted correct data. The fact of the matter is that I posted precise data that you poo poo'd. That not only means that my prediction was spot on, but it also means that you are not one who is honest nor can be trusted. I attempted an honest dialog with you but that is not possible with you since you are not an honest person. Good day.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:06 am
Suspended

Yet another post above, like the earlier ones in response to my request for data, seems to be about avoiding answering rather simple questions and are yet more examples of providing non-answer responses in response to questions. Surely the following two questions are not so hard to answer without anyone having to spend several hours looking up data claimed to be already known:

2. On which date do you want to call the summer over for purpose of visiting the accuracy of our separate “no prediction” predictions?

Responding to these two questions with an answer — not a non-answer response — doesn’t require genius; it just requires a willingness to engage in an honest approach in a debate. And since that doesn’t seem to be happening, I’ll just conclude that the discussion about Norwegian and its bonds is not an honest discussion and is not illustrative of trying to help consumers to make suitable purchase decisions for consumers but about trying to see Norwegian in the grave sooner than later.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yet another post above, like the earlier ones in response to my request for data, seems to be about avoiding answering rather simple questions and are yet more examples of providing non-answer responses in response to questions. Surely the following two questions are not so hard to answer without anyone having to spend several hours looking up data claimed to be already known:

Responding to these two questions with an answer — not a non-answer response — doesn’t require genius; it just requires a willingness to engage in an honest approach in a debate. And since that doesn’t seem to be happening, I’ll just conclude that the discussion about Norwegian and its bonds is not an honest discussion and is not illustrative of trying to help consumers to make suitable purchase decisions for consumers but about trying to see Norwegian in the grave sooner than later.
Question: do you think Norwegian will have to do something dramatic to stay solvent towards Q3 and Q4?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Question: do you think Norwegian will have to do something dramatic to stay solvent towards Q3 and Q4?
Yes toward the end of Q3 or in Q4, and it’s in part why I am not yet considering locking up any money in Norwegian tickets for any trips beyond the end of September. But I also tend to buy the majority of my air travel less than 24 hours before travel, and only a tiny fraction of my flight tickets are ever booked more than a month out in recent years; so I would have been unlikely to have considered locking up money into DY tickets for travel beyond the summer even if I were to expect DY to become the most profitable carrier on the planet in the years ahead (which I am pretty positive it won’t be).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!

Yes toward the end of Q3 or in Q4, and it’s in part why I am not yet considering locking up any money in Norwegian tickets for any trips beyond the end of September. But I also tend to buy the majority of my air travel less than 24 hours before travel, and only a tiny fraction of my flight tickets are ever booked more than a month out in recent years; so I would have been unlikely to have considered locking up money into DY tickets for travel beyond the summer even if I were to expect DY to become the most profitable carrier on the planet in the years ahead (which I am pretty positive it won’t be).
Thanks. That makes sense.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As usual, Cranky Flier cuts through the bs to give a realistic assessment of "the Norwegian situation." In a nutshell, it would seem like (thanks to the rights offering) they have enough cash to get them through summer and probably fall, but after that all bets are off.

https://crankyflier.com/2019/04/30/t...sses-continue/
Old May 2, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
As usual, Cranky Flier cuts through the bs to give a realistic assessment of "the Norwegian situation." In a nutshell, it would seem like (thanks to the rights offering) they have enough cash to get them through summer and probably fall, but after that all bets are off.

My best bet is that Norwegian has more life left now than I would have expected it to have when looking at this ten days ago.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My best bet is that Norwegian has more life left now than I would have expected it to have when looking at this ten days ago.
Fuel prices are easing here, too, so unless the credit card holdback takes them out (I remember being surprised when that killed the last Frontier Airlines), the risk of flying them this summer is small.

Honestly, given the combination of a truly horrific business plan (the completely untested and improbable transatlantic expansion) and extremely bad luck (delayed aircraft, engine issues and now the MAX), it is a miracle they are still in business today. If the airline excels in anything, it is finding enough cash to prolong their operations.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:56 am
Suspended

Fuel prices are easing here, too, so unless the credit card holdback takes them out (I remember being surprised when that killed the last Frontier Airlines), the risk of flying them this summer is small.

Honestly, given the combination of a truly horrific business plan (the completely untested and improbable transatlantic expansion) and extremely bad luck (delayed aircraft, engine issues and now the MAX), it is a miracle they are still in business today. If the airline excels in anything, it is finding enough cash to prolong their operations.
Norwegian's business plans don't include filing for bankruptcy (repeatedly so in some cases) so as to have another lease on life in finding enough cash to prolong their operations like the US3 airline industry cartel kingpins have done (repeatedly so in some cases), so DY's lifespan is likely to be way more finite than say an American Airlines, Delta Air Lines or United. Norwegian also doesn't have the luxury of a big cash cow in the form of an airline loyalty program or big banks to buy them a whole lot more time, US-style, but they do have Boeing's mishaps which are sort of a twisted benefit for Norwegian; and Norwegian has a big enough, diverse enough network so as to have cash to keep the boat floating longer than a much smaller airline would have.

In comparison to my expectations even several days ago, now I would be rather more surprised if I can't fly DY in the late fall or even perhaps the early winter of this year.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA

I am still hoping they can last till New Year Day....
Old May 4, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG

I am still hoping they can last till New Year Day....
I'd currently give Norwegian a 75 to 80% chance of being in business on New Year's day. Those odds fall to less than 50% a year later. Both odds would be way too risky for me to book a flight with them for those time periods. As GUWonder notes, airlines in Europe tend to go out of business more "suddenly" than airlines in the USA. So one day it's good, and the next day you have a big problem
Old May 6, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: TrueBlue
We're looking at a September trip from Boston to Rome. I'm *definitely* going to buy flight insurance.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Make sure you have purchased the insurance before you buy your ticket...
Old May 6, 2019, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Travel insurance may not do you much good unless it covers the cost of the new tickets. Presuming from your departure point that you are US-based, your US issued credit card will protect you against the loss of the ticket's value should there be an insolvency and the flight not operate.

What it will not cover is the cost of the new ticket which may be a great deal more than you had paid for your first ticket. If your travel insurance covers the new ticket, that is great. But, I am not aware of policies which do so unless one is stranded somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.