Wiki Posts
Search

Another DONEx originating CPT query

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by rollthere
If I were to ticket using the online tool through BA, can I then call AA and have them convert all eligible flights to AA codeshare flight numbers?
Yes. Remember, though, that AA codeshare availability is different from the availability on the operating carrier's number; so you may not be able to get it on every flight.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Originally Posted by pyffii
I am pretty sure I have a great local TA but as I am not booking until late August we shall all have to wait and see.
If you have that long, maybe you should try to book with QR. When I tried, they never said they wouldn't do it, they just kept finding one little nitpicking problem after another (like they got stuck on the flight number to and from Anchorage being the same, said I couldn't stop twice in Hong Kong, etc).

However, ta da!, I am writing this in the BA lounge in CPT--the journey begins!

Thanks to all who were so helpful. I hope someday to be able to return the favors.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: QF WP
My first leg will most probably be JNB-MAD on IB so QR not going to be in the picture.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:35 am

The plot thickens. The long awaited JNB-GRU flight has been loaded into the GDS for flights stating in October. I tried this routing

JNB-GRU-DFW-NRT-HKG-JNB (the JJ flight was available and selected).

Naturally, I got an error 300: Due to traffic restrictions on this flight you must be booked on the operating carrier. Change this segment accordingly.

Looks like a problem similar to QR. i.e. you can't use the online booking site for a flight that starts with JJ. Thoughts?
Old May 4, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by headinclouds
The plot thickens. The long awaited JNB-GRU flight has been loaded into the GDS for flights stating in October. I tried this routing

Naturally, I got an error 300: Due to traffic restrictions on this flight you must be booked on the operating carrier. Change this segment accordingly.

Looks like a problem similar to QR. i.e. you can't use the online booking site for a flight that starts with JJ. Thoughts?
It looks like JNB GRU is still flagged as "SUBJECT TO GOVERNMENT APPROVAL" in the GDS. That might be the reason for the rejection.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:58 am

Doubt Gov't Approval is Issue

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
It looks like JNB GRU is still flagged as "SUBJECT TO GOVERNMENT APPROVAL" in the GDS. That might be the reason for the rejection.
I was able to book LAX-AKL even tho that route was still "...subject to approval". More likely the well known technical issue, don't you think?

Last edited by MiamiPrep; May 5, 2016 at 11:59 am Reason: misspelling
Old May 6, 2016, 1:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by headinclouds

I tried the reverse direction and GRU-JNB does not seem to be available for any month (at least for DONEx), according to the tool.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:45 pm

They say they are waiting on the approval of the South African government. That Brazil-SA process may be a little more complex than a US-Australia venture.
Old May 9, 2016, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Date change question

I am booked on the DFW-ANC-DFW portion of my RTW on July 5-10. This isn't going to work for a couple reasons. One is I want to take my grandson, 15, on an award ticket, so I'm juggling two separate tickets. I have one on hold for him. When I called BA to change my date, the agent couldn't do it, said I'd have to call my travel agent, which I don't have, then gave me the number 041-441-8600 Finallly said she'd have someone contact me within the next couple days so I wouldn't have to call overseas. So I tried the AA RTW desk. A very pleasant agent said they might be able to help but would have to send to fares to make sure all the taxes were collected properly and reissue on American stock. She said there may be costs due if not correctly processed. I wouldn't mind that so much, but I fear they will re-price at the fare as if originating in US. I purchased from BA at CPT origin price.

What do you think? Should I wait for a call, call the number in SA myself, or hope for the best with the AA desk? I'd love to be on AA since I have some further changes to make down the road, and I know others have done this without penalty. Is the "repricing" as ominous as it sounds?
Old May 9, 2016, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skipaway
I am booked on the DFW-ANC-DFW portion of my RTW on July 5-10. This isn't going to work for a couple reasons. One is I want to take my grandson, 15, on an award ticket, so I'm juggling two separate tickets. I have one on hold for him. When I called BA to change my date, the agent couldn't do it, said I'd have to call my travel agent, which I don't have, then gave me the number 041-441-8600 Finallly said she'd have someone contact me within the next couple days so I wouldn't have to call overseas. So I tried the AA RTW desk. A very pleasant agent said they might be able to help but would have to send to fares to make sure all the taxes were collected properly and reissue on American stock. She said there may be costs due if not correctly processed. I wouldn't mind that so much, but I fear they will re-price at the fare as if originating in US. I purchased from BA at CPT origin price.

What do you think? Should I wait for a call, call the number in SA myself, or hope for the best with the AA desk? I'd love to be on AA since I have some further changes to make down the road, and I know others have done this without penalty. Is the "repricing" as ominous as it sounds?
I don't see where in your narrative anyone actually told you of any prospective re-pricing.
Old May 9, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred

The key with AA is - do you have a credit card wth am SA address? They are on that silly kick about credit card billing addresses right now.

If you do - then use AA. Just make it clear you need for them to reprice everything in Rand. If they do, you will still have to call SA to pay for the reticketing.

If you have already flown your first leg you should be fine regardless. They can't reprice from anywhere but SA if the first segment has been flown. They may do an add-collect for taxes in USD but they cannot redo the base fare. If they try to you can argue that your ticket started in SA and it should be peiced accordingly.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I don't see where in your narrative anyone actually told you of any prospective re-pricing.
She didn't say she'd reprice the ticket as far as point of origin, just that "fares" would have to go over it flight by flight to make sure appropriate taxes (and fuel fees?) were collected because it would have to be reissued as an AA ticket. But she didn't say they wouldn't reprice it, and of course I didn't ask. I just got a little concerned when she mentioned sending it off for the fine tooth comb treatment. It seems it would be so easy to just move the flights which I'd already picked on Expert Flyer. They did see them as available, but she wouldn't do it without the OK. This would be good for later since I have lots of dates to change and no one beats AA's RTW desk (in my not-too extensive experience)

The key with AA is - do you have a credit card wth am SA address? They are on that silly kick about credit card billing addresses right now.

If you do - then use AA. Just make it clear you need for them to reprice everything in Rand. If they do, you will still have to call SA to pay for the reticketing.

If you have already flown your first leg you should be fine regardless. They can't reprice from anywhere but SA if the first segment has been flown. They may do an add-collect for taxes in USD but they cannot redo the base fare. If they try to you can argue that your ticket started in SA and it should be peiced accordingly.
Yes, I've flown my first segments already, so that sounds reassuring. I have not tried to add a South African address to my credit card, and I wonder if anyone has had success with that gambit yet. I think what I'll do is cough up the $50 it will cost to call the SA BA desk that I originally used to ticket. If that fails in a timely manner, I'll call back AA (that was my AA agent's best suggestion.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:20 am

[COLOR="blue"]

Yes, I've flown my first segments already, so that sounds reassuring. I have not tried to add a South African address to my credit card, and I wonder if anyone has had success with that gambit yet. I think what I'll do is cough up the $50 it will cost to call the SA BA desk that I originally used to ticket. If that fails in a timely manner, I'll call back AA (that was my AA agent's best suggestion.
I have found Skype to be a huge benefit in my overseas phones calls. Its about $1.00 versus the $50...
Old May 11, 2016, 3:26 am
Original Poster

I have found Skype to be a huge benefit in my overseas phones calls. Its about $1.00 versus the $50...
Well, thanks. I always thought Skype was for calling home to another computer. I've never used it, but took your advice, loaded on to my computer and sent them $10. My 15 minute call, plus a couple failures due to my mike, cost a little more than the advertised 4.7 cpm, but still a bargain at 6 bucks. And minimal hold time! Got the dates I need, and my grandson is booked to go to Alaska on an award ticket.
Easy Peasy!
Old May 12, 2016, 7:03 am

Skype 800 Free

Well, thanks. I always thought Skype was for calling home to another computer. I've never used it, but took your advice, loaded on to my computer and sent them $10. My 15 minute call, plus a couple failures due to my mike, cost a little more than the advertised 4.7 cpm, but still a bargain at 6 bucks.
I believe my Skype calls to 800 #'s are free. If I call AA or RTW desk 800 #'s there is no charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.