9 HKG YYZ CX
10 YYZ MIA AA
11 MIA SEA AA
12 SEA ORD AA
13 ORD DOH QR (AA7957)
14 DOH CMN QR
15 CMN DOH QR
16 DOH CPT QR

and I think I found the four AA codeshares above which means the itinerary should net 101,733 EQM getting Executive Platinum for next year (assuming I will also fly one more AA operating segment). I can't seem to book any of the codeshares on the tool but will try to call CX after purchasing the ticket to change...
I could be wrong but I think you will run into difficulty booking the AA flight number on the QF operated flight SYD-PER and perhaps on the 2 JAL operated flights without an AA coded flight from/to the USA connecting to them.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I think you will run into difficulty booking the AA flight number on the QF operated flight SYD-PER and perhaps on the 2 JAL operated flights without an AA coded flight from/to the USA connecting to them.
That's been my experience: I've only been able to book AA codes when connecting to/from another AA code.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I could be wrong but I think you will run into difficulty booking the AA flight number on the QF operated flight SYD-PER and perhaps on the 2 JAL operated flights without an AA coded flight from/to the USA connecting to them.
Originally Posted by anabolism
That's been my experience: I've only been able to book AA codes when connecting to/from another AA code.
Definitely
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I wonder what happens when you book the TPAC to a connection, both with AA numbers, then cancel the TPAC leg....
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:12 am

AA Flight #'s

RTW agent explained to me once that to be eligible, the code share has to be a connecting flight to/from an AA flight. Or something like that.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I wonder what happens when you book the TPAC to a connection, both with AA numbers, then cancel the TPAC leg....
I seem to recall this practice used to call this long-selling... and my impression is that it was much easier to achieve before "married-segments" were enforced automatically by the GDS. Agents have much less latitude than they used to for these kinds of shenanigans.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:11 pm

An update re: ex-JNB DONE4.

I tried using the TA recommend by JonNYC and she was indeed very responsive, but was not fully competent with the xONEx tickets. I was almost successful in getting the DONE4 ticketed with QR, but even when the ticket was issued by the TA, QR came back and said the itinerary violated the routing rules of xONEx and voided the ticket.

I potentially had one more use of ex-JNB xONEx so, this time I tried to get the ticket booked with CX. But the TA was not getting any feedback from CX about the routing so suggested that I deal directly with CX.

With only few days left in ticketing deadline (first flight within 10 days), I tried the online tool once more. With CX as my first flight and QR as my last carrier. The complex itinerary priced, but wouldn't go through the page beyond passenger details. I tried again with a very simple itinerary with CX as my first flight and QR as my last (something like JNB-HKG-DEL-HKG-DFW-DOH-JNB), but it also did not go beyond the passenger detail page.

Thinking that this online tool bug is with the DOH-JNB flight with QR, I tried to take advantage of the new IB MAD-JNB... and tried the following routing:

JNB-HKG-DEL-NRT-CGK-NRT-JFK-LAX-ORD-MIA-YUL-DOH-CMN-DOH-OSL-MAD-JNB.

And voila!!! I was able to actually get my credit card info in and PNR was generated. Total price as 67K ZAR. I will likely need to change a bit of routing post-YUL, but at this point, I don't mind being charged with 125 dollars for the routing change... given all the difficulties I had with trying to call QR, CX, etc. I am keeping my fingers crossed (with ticket number received soon). I really do advise others to try using online tool to get the PNR... it's been a real hassle trying to deal with QR as my first ticketing carrier, even with very responsive TA.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by checkerboard
I seem to recall this practice used to call this long-selling... and my impression is that it was much easier to achieve before "married-segments" were enforced automatically by the GDS. Agents have much less latitude than they used to for these kinds of shenanigans.
Could even run afoul of "fictitious bookings" and (very unwanted attention) to the member as well, if crediting to AAdvantage.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Could even run afoul of "fictitious bookings" and (very unwanted attention) to the member as well, if crediting to AAdvantage.
True, -- any idea if the system would even let the agent cancel just the TPAC/TATL leg?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard
I'm no expert, but my understanding of the term "long sell" is when an agent adds a sector as manually processed (tells the GDS to not automatically confirm it, deduct available inventory, etc.). One example of when an agent needed to long sell segments for me is when I had an agent initiate and issue an RTW. The agent used a GDS that wasn't Sabre, and when I had the AA RTW desk upgrade the AA segments, they had a problem in that the Sabre PNR didn't show all the flights. The RTW agent added the missing segments as long sells so that AA could reissue the ticket.

To the point of trying to book AA codes, you're correct that this is harder to do now. Likely the agent won't be able to end the record after deleting the connecting AA segment.

Originally Posted by brahms77
An update re: ex-JNB DONE4.

I tried using the TA recommend by JonNYC and she was indeed very responsive, but was not fully competent with the xONEx tickets. I was almost successful in getting the DONE4 ticketed with QR, but even when the ticket was issued by the TA, QR came back and said the itinerary violated the routing rules of xONEx and voided the ticket.

I potentially had one more use of ex-JNB xONEx so, this time I tried to get the ticket booked with CX. But the TA was not getting any feedback from CX about the routing so suggested that I deal directly with CX.
I wonder if the agent might be able to issue via AA? Or would this invoke the AA restriction on only South African credit cards?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm no expert, but my understanding of the term "long sell" is when an agent adds a sector as manually processed (tells the GDS to not automatically confirm it, deduct available inventory, etc.). One example of when an agent needed to long sell segments for me is when I had an agent initiate and issue an RTW. The agent used a GDS that wasn't Sabre, and when I had the AA RTW desk upgrade the AA segments, they had a problem in that the Sabre PNR didn't show all the flights. The RTW agent added the missing segments as long sells so that AA could reissue the ticket.
Almost. What you're describing is entering the flight segment into the PNR manually coded HK1. That means that the pax doesn't need a reservation on the flight because s/he already has one. "HK1" stands for "holding confirmed 1 reservation (passenger)." It's used to let the system know that you already have a reservation on that flight, for a number of reasons, like itinerary continuity, and that no further action by the system is necessary.

This differs from a "long sell." In SABRE, flights are normally sold from an availability display. So, for example, if you request availability from LHR-HKG, you might decide to take the third flight from the list that is displayed. All that takes is "01D3" -- sell one seat in D class from the third flight displayed.

A "long sell" means not requesting an availability display, but rather entering the information manually. So, "0CX252D13APRLHRHKGNN2" -- which translates as follows:

0 = Sell
CX = Cathay Pacific
252 = Flight 252
D = Fare category D
13APR = April 13th
LHRHKG = LHR to HKG
NN2 = Need 2 seats

If the seats requested by a long sell entry are available, the system will respond with the flight info and NN2 will change to SS2, for seats sold, 2.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Feb 18, 2016 at 7:46 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:11 am

Another quick update re: ticketing times for reservations bookable via the online tool. I was able to generate PNR and enter credit card details using the online tool on Tuesday afternoon this week and ticketing was delegated to CX as the first segment is with them. Just today, about 48 hours after the PNR was generate, I received an e-ticket from CX. ^

My first flight is next Friday so that may have prioritized this PNR for ticketing, but I am happy to report that itineraries bookable via the online tool will be ticketed relatively quickly. ^

I think the main issue with the online tool may be with QR flights that are departing and returning to South Africa. When I removed these flights and substituted with IB or BA or CX, I was able to get to the payment page even with some QR flights in the reservation (e.g. QR flights to and from N.America, Europe, etc.). Hope this information helps to those who are in need of a xONEx ticket out of S.Africa, but having difficulties dealing with local TAs, etc. Good luck!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by MiamiPrep
RTW agent explained to me once that to be eligible, the code share has to be a connecting flight to/from an AA flight. Or something like that.
What about... Can we book a codeshare connecting to a codeshare (12 hour connection, but there is an earlier flight but I need the day in the city) connecting to AA.

Basically, JNB-LHR (arrives 6am, leave 6pm) YYZ-DFW.... Can I do the AA codes all the way to DFW? The agent already put me on the codeshare to YYZ. I haven't tried the AA code JNB-LHR yet since I actually need to change to that flight....
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Almost.
Thanks very much for the detailed and easy to understand explanation! ^

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
What about... Can we book a codeshare connecting to a codeshare (12 hour connection, but there is an earlier flight but I need the day in the city) connecting to AA.
I've not tried this, but from what agents have told me, I would think it would be fine. It doesn't matter if there is an earlier flight, provided the flight you want is available as an AA code and the connection is under 24 hours. Although I have run into problems booking an AA code on an overnight connection that was well under 24 hours, your posts suggests you want a same-day 12-hour connection.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by brahms77
Another quick update re: ticketing times for reservations bookable via the online tool. I was able to generate PNR and enter credit card details using the online tool on Tuesday afternoon this week and ticketing was delegated to CX as the first segment is with them. Just today, about 48 hours after the PNR was generate, I received an e-ticket from CX. ^

My first flight is next Friday so that may have prioritized this PNR for ticketing, but I am happy to report that itineraries bookable via the online tool will be ticketed relatively quickly. ^

I think the main issue with the online tool may be with QR flights that are departing and returning to South Africa. When I removed these flights and substituted with IB or BA or CX, I was able to get to the payment page even with some QR flights in the reservation (e.g. QR flights to and from N.America, Europe, etc.). Hope this information helps to those who are in need of a xONEx ticket out of S.Africa, but having difficulties dealing with local TAs, etc. Good luck!
Thanks very much for the updates, very helpful indeed! Going through the same process and it helped a lot to know details of your success in using the online tool. Will report back if I am successful as well with a similar routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.