Search

Another DONEx originating CPT query

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXEC PLAT, TK*G
Just a data point for those interested.

I used the OW online tool to price my itinerary:

CPT-LHR-LAX-ANC-PHX-SEA-JFK-NRT-BKK-HKG-MEL-AKL-SYD-OOL-MEL-DOH-JNB

I entered my details and I got the PNR. No credit card was asked online.

I called BA South Africa (number is posted on BA website) and within 2 minutes they took my credit card (HK issued), they charged it in ZAR and I got the eTickets by email while still on the phone with the agent.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Timbuku
Just a data point for those interested.

I used the OW online tool to price my itinerary:

CPT-LHR-LAX-ANC-PHX-SEA-JFK-NRT-BKK-HKG-MEL-AKL-SYD-OOL-MEL-DOH-JNB

I entered my details and I got the PNR. No credit card was asked online.

I called BA South Africa (number is posted on BA website) and within 2 minutes they took my credit card (HK issued), they charged it in ZAR and I got the eTickets by email while still on the phone with the agent.
Good to know
Thank you for posting^
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
As a further data point, as I could not get the tool to produce a price or a PNR I called the South African number with my itinerary and it was patiently and politely reserved. it took about a day for the agent (who was in reality in India) to get back with a price the payment of which he accepted without question from my UK credit card.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by stex
Report back from post #120: I attempted to book a DONE5 ex-JNB with the online tool following suggestions from brahms77 successful experience. Only thing, my first flight was with IB and last flight with CX, which I sense is the opposite of brahms77 itinerary. I was able to get to the credit card page, but the tool would not accept two of my credit cards. I had previously contacted both credit cards to inform about the large purchase, so that should not have been the problem. I am not sure why, but there was no way to get it to verify the credit card info and process the booking. I contacted CX in JNB via email, asked if they would make the booking for me. They replied promptly, suggesting to contact IB as it is the carrier for the first flight. And I am now waiting to hear back from IB, although I have little hope based on the various phone calls I made and the different numbers and emails I was given to book a xONEx with them. It appears they do not have a proper option to make these bookings. I will keep trying with IB, but might have to reconsider and see whether I can manage to swap direction and start the itinerary with CX, a bit difficult for me as I am interlocking the end of a DONE3 ending in Asia. Will report back if I am successful at getting IB to book the DONE 5.
Final update back from post #120: In the end I changed routing to be able to ticket with BA given the issues I had with IB and my preference not to start with CX. I started the routing with the JNB-CPT segment then on to the US via DOH. The online tool successfully generated a PNR and then instructed me to call BA in South Africa to pay for the ticket. As mentioned in previous posts, the BA call center marketing South Africa is located India. They were very responsive, helpful and knowledgeable of RTW bookings. It took three phone calls and about 5 days to be able to verify, price and ticket the DONE5, mostly due to an apparent temporary glitch in the AA reservation system with the PHX-CUN flight. There were no issues paying with a US CC, and I now have the e-ticket. As far as my attempts to hear back from IB for booking the DONE5 ex-ZA, I just received an email response from them two weeks after my initial email contact. They apologized for the delay and asked whether I still wanted to go ahead and book the DONE5 with them. So, IB is not really reliable for booking xONEx products. I do plan to ask IB via email whether they have a direct phone number for xONEx bookings, perhaps that could expedite future bookings attempts with them. But so far, BA has proved to be a reliable booking option ex-ZA. Now only hoping that whenever JJ starts the JNB-GRU flight, they will be capable of handling xONEx bookings ex-ZA...
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by stex
As far as my attempts to hear back from IB for booking the DONE5 ex-ZA, I just received an email response from them two weeks after my initial email contact. They apologized for the delay and asked whether I still wanted to go ahead and book the DONE5 with them. So, IB is not really reliable for booking xONEx products. I do plan to ask IB via email whether they have a direct phone number for xONEx bookings, perhaps that could expedite future bookings attempts with them.
Got a reply from IB - they do not have a direct phone number for xONEx bookings. The only way to book xONEx with them is via email: oneworldbo [at] iberia [dot] com

But don't expect prompt replies...
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Way to verify that CC has S.A. billing address?

I think I managed to get a S.A. address on a credit card. Does anyone know of a way to verify, before phoning Mindpearl to ticket an RTW?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by anabolism
I think I managed to get a S.A. address on a credit card. Does anyone know of a way to verify, before phoning Mindpearl to ticket an RTW?
Since you did not indicate the credit card company, it is impossible to give a definitive response, since procedures will vary from company to company, and perhaps also by the method you used to change the address. But you may consider these possibilities:

1. Call customer service of your card to confirm.
2. Many CCs send a confirmation by e or snail mail (depending on information provided) to confirm the card holder made such a change. Did you receive this, or any other, followup communication?
3. Most CCs have a web site through which customers can access their profile information, statements, etc. What did your account information on the website show?
4. Are statements and other mailings being received at the SA address?
5. Recontact the original source you used to make the change to confirm it was done

Curious as to the method you used to add the SA address (primary or secondary) and most of all if it satisfies MindPearl and they eventually ticket.
Could you please post the method and eventual success of this?

Hope this works for you, as many others here would welcome the same resolution.

Rens
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Read the whole thread and got the impression that ex-CPT/JNB it's a waste of time try booking a DONEx RTW with AA or QR as the ticket issuing airline, am I right? What I've understood, this leaves BA, IB, CX and QF as the only viable options as the 1st carrier and thus the issuing airline?

One thing crossed my mind and I haven't seen an answer anywhere (yes, I did read the FAQ here): couldn't I basically book with any OW carrier, hence them not flying out of JNB or CPT? At least the RTW fares exist with all OW carries.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Rasbelin
One thing crossed my mind and I haven't seen an answer anywhere (yes, I did read the FAQ here): couldn't I basically book with any OW carrier, hence them not flying out of JNB or CPT? At least the RTW fares exist with all OW carries.
In theory yes, in practice no. Those other airlines need a ticket office or GSA in SA to issue the ticket. If there is none of those, the airline can't issue the ticket. That is why there is a hunt for a SA based travel agency that might be able to do what you desire. A travel agency needs to charge for this service and need expertise to deal with the airlines. None have come forward so far.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: QF WP
I am pretty sure I have a great local TA but as I am not booking until late August we shall all have to wait and see.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by pyffii
I am pretty sure I have a great local TA but as I am not booking until late August we shall all have to wait and see.
LOL

Thanks? I guess?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
If I were to ticket using the online tool through BA, can I then call AA and have them convert all eligible flights to AA codeshare flight numbers?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by rollthere
If I were to ticket using the online tool through BA, can I then call AA and have them convert all eligible flights to AA codeshare flight numbers?
Others might know better, but I'd only attempt this after flying the first segment.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by og
Others might know better, but I'd only attempt this after flying the first segment.
I just converted a CX segement to the AA codeshare (after the first flight), No problem at all.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by rollthere
After the first flight, you can phone BA and have them make the changes - I did this last year on my ex-CPT DONE5, changed two flights (JJ and JL) to the AA codeshares.

If you're wanting to change the first flight (which presumably is operated by BA as it has issued the ticket), then BA might not be so keen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.