Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another DONEx originating CPT query

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
2016 Oneworld booking experiences

I tried getting BA to issue an atw ticket originating in Windhoek by phone. The first segment was on BA operated by Comair. The BA agents were very polite, helpful, and happy to issue the ticket with a non-Namibian credit card. They even called me back several times about various details. But they charged the ex-South Africa price because BA has no issuing office in Namibia. The ticket is issued in South Africa at the South African price (in rand, not Namibian dollars) even though it originates in Namibia. The agents told me that they tried very hard to find a way to issue the ticket in Namibia, but it is not possible even at the airport. I suspect they have no issuing office in Maputo either, but I didn't ask.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
A quick Google check shows a number of "travel agents" in MPM; but they appear to be mostly tour operators for local ground arrangements. Is there an online database of IATA certificated, plate-holding travel agencies?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:19 am

Here is feedback from my first Qantas call.

I became nervous the moment I started speaking to the lady, here is a summary:

I told the lady you and your supervisor don't know the rules and I am the customer and this isn't acceptable. She went silent and then said 'oh' I said goodbye and hung up.

I'll try again in a few hours.
              Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:43 am

After spending 35 minutes on the phone, as the person came back the call dropped.

Time to try call 3.
              Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:13 am

Phone call number 3 is not going well at all.

I provided explanations as to why I disagree which the person kept arguing until I pointed to specific rules.
                      What I don't understand is the supervisor then came up and said you can't enter and leave and re-enter Europe/Middle-East if South Africa is part of the ticket. If this true, please let me know because if not I'll keep up the good fight!!!!

Last edited by 747-444; Jul 4, 2016 at 10:25 am
                      Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:23 am

Call 4 & 5 dropped out. Damn internet in Africa - using Skype.
                      Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:12 pm

I am now on my 6th call to Qantas.

I have a lovely lady from New Zealand who is trying her best. After 45 minutes on the phone, mostly being on hold, she said to she can't get it to price and she'd like my number and to call me back in a few hours. I said I doubt anybody has bought a OneWorld product from MPM and she laughed. I agreed I'll stay on hod while she speaks to her supervisor.
                      She is going to ask her supervisor if they can do it manually and come back to me.

UPDATE:

The call has been going for 1:20 so far, the lady must be really trying.
                      The call dropped at 1 hour and 25 minutes. I may cry - real tears. I did ask the lady to please call me back. I HOPE she does.

Last edited by 747-444; Jul 4, 2016 at 12:45 pm
                      Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:19 pm

A bit of PROGRESS:

The lovely lady from Qantas called me back.
                      She spoke to her supervisor who approved the routing but both of them couldn't find a base fare in their system. The supervisor spoke to the manager who also said the routing works but they can't find a base fare either.

They said to me they've emailed OneWorld and asked them to please clarify what the base fare is and once they have it they'll call me back and ask me if I'm happy with that. I had a nice discussion with Super Woman (the QF lady, spent over 2 hours working on this one ticket) where I said I don't think anybody has booked a RTW from Maputo and the lady laughed and agreed.

I then asked about WDH and her system generated a fare instantly with taxes and base fare and she said we can do that for you.

I'll report back once QF have heard back from One World.
                      Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
                      Originally Posted by 747-444
                      I then asked about WDH and her system generated a fare instantly with taxes and base fare and she said we can do that for you.
                      Glad to hear you're making progress. When she quoted the fare from WDH was it in Namibian $ or ZAR as ajnaro had the problem with BA? If I can get a ticket priced/sold out of WDH in NAD now I'll jump on it!
                      Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:44 pm
                      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
                      Originally Posted by rollthere
                      If I can get a ticket priced/sold out of WDH in NAD now I'll jump on it!
                      But ex-WDH is much more expensive than MPM, no?
                      Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt

.. If I can get a ticket priced/sold out of WDH in NAD now I'll jump on it!
                      Me too! I've been to Windhoek a few times and find Namibia fascinating. Maputo is more intimidating, travel in Moçambique is more challenging, and the visa application process was time consuming for us (from Brazil).
                      Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:00 am

Glad to hear you're making progress. When she quoted the fare from WDH was it in Namibian $ or ZAR as ajnaro had the problem with BA? If I can get a ticket priced/sold out of WDH in NAD now I'll jump on it!
                      AUD 7000 was the price I got for a DONE4 ex Windhoek.
                      Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:02 am

The wheels have now come off.

I keep saying to the person you need to check with One World what the base fare is. I said to the person this is immensely frustrating because Qantas doesn't find answers but problems. I also said I suspect Qantas are stunned at the low base fare from MPM and are looking to find a way out because they think something is wrong. I said contact OneWorld and then come back to me.

New mate is a bit retentive but he seems to be trying when he isn't making the rules up.

Last edited by 747-444; Jul 5, 2016 at 12:20 am
                              Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:28 am

Update.

New Mate, as he is now know, is now trying to help. He apologised for not knowing the rules and has read them and is now 100% onboard.

He is based in Hobart and the previous office was Auckland. The manager for Hobart is now phoning the manager at Auckland to see if OneWorld have replied.

Last edited by 747-444; Jul 5, 2016 at 12:34 am
                              Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
                              Originally Posted by 747-444
                              Update.

New Mate, as he is now know, is now trying to help. He apologised for not knowing the rules and has read them and is now 100% onboard.

He is based in Hobart and the previous office was Auckland. The manager for Hobart is now phoning the manager at Auckland to see if OneWorld have replied.
                              If he was contacting OneWorld in the US for assistance there is a chance they haven't responded yet since Monday was a holiday here...so don't be dismayed/surprised if another day (or two) go by before they come back with details.

But I truly hope to be proven wrong!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.