Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
YHA Lake Tekapo, my favorite place in NZ, is shutting down. I just received this email:

The extended Auckland lockdown and no prospects of an international visitor market this summer has created market conditions that place YHA in an unsustainable financial position.

The properties closing permanently are; YHA Auckland International, YHA Rotorua, YHA Wellington, YHA Christchurch, YHA Lake Tekapo, YHA Aoraki Mt Cook, YHA Wanaka, YHA Queenstown Central, YHA Queenstown Lakefront, YHA Te Anau, YHA Franz Josef and Our Dog Friday Cafe.

Our 20 privately owned and operated Associate hostels will continue to operate.
If you are local and you are able to stay at YHA Lake Tekapo before the December 15 shutdown, you should go.
mechteach and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
YHA Lake Tekapo, my favorite place in NZ, is shutting down. I just received this email:

If you are local and you are able to stay at YHA Lake Tekapo before the December 15 shutdown, you should go.
A causality of the NZ Govt (Jacinda) CV19 policy
(rnz.co,nz)--.>Youth Hostel Association to close its hostels after 89 years
The Youth Hostel Association will permanently close its 11 hostels from next month.

The YHA said the extended Auckland lockdown and no prospects of an international visitors this summer left the association in an unsustainable financial position. The 11 hostels owned by the association will close from 15 December after 89 years of operation. The association is also linked with 23 other individually-owned properties around the country which will continue to operate as normal, Cartwright said.
<snip>
The YHA-managed hostels to close next month are: YHA Auckland International, YHA Rotorua, YHA Wellington, YHA Christchurch, YHA Lake Tekapo, YHA Aoraki Mt Cook, YHA Wanaka, YHA Queenstown Central, YHA Queenstown Lakefront, YHA Franz Josef and YHA Te Anau.
<snip>
(stuff.co.nz)--->Youth hostel closures in Tekapo and Aoraki/Mt Cook a double blow for Mackenzie District

Are a YHANZ life member. In my younger days stayed at many. Have changed over time to be more like (budget) hotels

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 24, 2021 at 11:18 pm
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:18 am

And so it begins. A few more of these closures along with the leadership contest in the National party (which inevitably will increase their polling) will move the stance of the government quickly, I think.
snic and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(stuff.co.nz)--->Everyone in queue gets through first MIQ virtual lobby since border announcement
The number of people vying for a room in managed isolation has dropped to a third of last week’s numbers in the first virtual lobby since changes to the system were announced.

Fully vaccinated Kiwis travelling from Australia can bypass managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) from January 17, instead self-isolating at home for seven days. Those returning from other countries will be allowed to do so from February 14.

Joint head of MIQ Chris Bunny said the changes to MIQ from next year caused a significant drop in the number of people participating in Thursday’s room release.

There were 5426 people in the lobby at 4pm – about 9200 fewer than last week – and for the first time since running the virtual lobbies, everybody that joined the queue could enter the allocation website.
<snip>
MIQ lobby- NZ Govt links

No one left in the queue for MIQ’s ninth voucher release via virtual lobby – 25 Nov 2021
<snip>
Summary of the stats
The lobby opened about 10 minutes before 3pm today.

At 4pm 5,426 people were moved into the queue — this represented 8,182 passengers. These numbers grew as people entered the queue throughout the room release (these people go to the back of the queue). There were 6,307 people in the queue in total, representing 9,341 passengers.

4,927 people from 122 countries managed to secure MIQ vouchers – that’s across 3,320 rooms. The number of available rooms was 3,411, but not all rooms were taken.
<snip>
MIQ’s eighth voucher release via virtual lobby – 18 Nov 2021
<snip>
6,214 people from 126 countries managed to secure MIQ vouchers – that’s across 4,230 rooms.
More than 43,500 people have secured vouchers through the last 8 room releases.
Rooms started being released at 1pm and were gone by 3:45pm.
<snip>
MIQ’s seventh voucher release via virtual lobby – 9 Nov 2021
At 10am 14,205 people were moved into the queue — this represented 22,458 passengers. These numbers grew as people entered the queue throughout the room release (these people go to the back of the queue). There were 16,277 people in the queue in total, representing 24,695 passengers. 26% of passengers got a booking.

5,888 people from 128 countries managed to secure MIQ vouchers – that’s across 4,039 rooms.

More than 37,300 people have secured vouchers through the last 7 room releases.

Rooms started being released at 10am and were gone by 12:27pm.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 25, 2021 at 2:54 am
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Thanks so much everyone for the detailed info. I will be moving my trip to early 2023.

I feel very fortunate to have spent 3 full weeks on the South Island in February 2020. I arrived immediately after the ban on entry from China, departing one day before the first case appeared, ironically from California. In between, I witnessed the 1 meter rainfall in Fiordland. The South Island was so calm and relaxed with fewer tourists. So many lasting memories. I know my next visit will be very different, if only because of overcrowding.

we were fortunate to be in there at the same time as you. It was very quiet, we were part of the early evacuation of the Milford trek before the crazy rain. Drove the southern scenic route to invercargill and were told on arrival there were lots of roads out inland so were glad we took coast road. We were on a boat to doubtful sound and turned back due to mudslides. In addition to all the natural beauty We saw Elton John in Dunedin on a cold and rainy night. We flew to Japan to get home just as the cruise ships were being held in port. We've spent time in NZ for the last 15 years and cant wait to returrn again but wonder how it will survive the last two years and how it will bounce back in the future.
nsx and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 2:11 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by nsx

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A causality of the NZ Govt (Jacinda) CV19 policy
(rnz.co,nz)--.>Youth Hostel Association to close its hostels after 89 years

(stuff.co.nz)--->Youth hostel closures in Tekapo and Aoraki/Mt Cook a double blow for Mackenzie District

Are a YHANZ life member. In my younger days stayed at many. Have changed over time to be more like (budget) hotels

Hadn't heard of YHA so I looked it up. Some prime locations like in Queenstown. Probably booked all the time (because the rates are so much lower than surrounding properties) so I never saw it as an option.

It's strange though some of the reviews are from middle-aged people including those who stayed with their families with children.

Suppose to be a "youth" hostel? What was their age cutoff?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Originally Posted by exp
...Suppose to be a "youth" hostel? What was their age cutoff?
In many parts the world age limit is 99 (or greater) or if you walk & breath you can stay. Germany used to have a 26year age limit. Not sure if that still exists
Different counties ~ properties market to a different client. In UK YHA not uncommon to have retired people staying in rural properties.
YHA's have changed over the decades. The quality of the properties can vary a lot

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 25, 2021 at 2:31 pm
Old Nov 25, 2021, 3:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by exp
Suppose to be a "youth" hostel? What was their age cutoff?
No cutoff, or I wouldn't have been able to stay there. It's mostly young people who like to cook in the mega-kitchen. You meet people from all over the world in backpacker lodging.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NZ Govt had months to do this. Covid pass have been talked about since vaccinations started. Did not need to be rushed. Just planning
(stuff.co.nz)--->My Vaccine Pass is an example of what you get when you rush a tech project
OPINION: “If you want summer, get vaccinated” has been the Government’s message to Kiwis for several weeks.

Failing to do so will mean “there will be everyday things you will miss out on”. That was the plan anyway. And it was a solid plan.

The implementation of that plan - using technology(!) - has been less impressive.
<snip>
Thirdly, and you couldn’t make this up, the My Vaccine Pass record was sent out as an editable PDF. Meaning anyone can edit their Pass’ name and date of birth, with the most basic of software, in a matter of seconds.
<snip>
Edit
More policy in the run
(rnz.co.nz)--->Many pharmacies will now print hard copies of vaccine passes
People who cannot get their vaccine pass online, can now visit a pharmacy to have a hard copy printed out.

It is one of the new channels offered by the Ministry of Health to help people access their Covid-19 vaccine passes. More than 300 pharmacies are listed on Healthpoint as offering vaccinations and many of those will also print out or email vaccine passes to people. Some are yet to implement the service so people are being advised to call ahead to check.

Liv from Unichem Wellington Central Pharmacy said since it began printing passes yesterday, around 50 people had come in and used the service."We've had quite a few people come in, not so much that we can't keep up and we can still stay on top of our other pharmacy practices but it's been a pretty constant flow in the last few days."Many of those people were having trouble with using technology to download their own pass or had international forms of ID that could not be used to access their My Health account online, she said.
<snip>
Alongside the My COVID Record website, people can also call 0800 222 478 to request a physical copy of their pass. Ministry of Health national digital services group manager Michael Dreyer said call centres had faced "unprecedented demand" with more than 70,000 calls to the 0800 number on Thursday alone. There are now three call centres operating with extended hours to help people wanting to set up their My Covid Record, check their NHI number, or generate their My Vaccine Pass - which can be saved digitally or posted or emailed out to them.
<snip>
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 27, 2021 at 2:46 am
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
NZ Govt had months to do this. Covid pass have been talked about since vaccinations started. Did not need to be rushed. Just planning
(stuff.co.nz)--->My Vaccine Pass is an example of what you get when you rush a tech project
The entire article, and I assume it is all true, is shocking. As you say, they have had months to come up with something more professional than this. And if they couldn't, then just look at what other countries are doing (not the US though) to prove vaccination. And I must admit that I had assumed that it was an app. It really seems a juvenile approach to the whole vaccination thing when most countries are going the app route and I would have thought that NZ would have come up with something more exotic than this. Disappointing.

ETA. I thought I would see if I can create an account. I get to the screen where you select a password and there is no "Confirm your password" box. People had better be sure that they click "show" to make sure that the password that they have selected is the one they thought they typed in. This is proper amateur hour imho.

Also, it does not seem to allow permanent residents to sign-up (my status). It's really not an issue for me but it seems odd.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Nov 27, 2021 at 1:07 am
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More to post 189 above and post 60 in Air NZ forum

(tvone.co.nz)--->Hipkins defends vaccine pass as up to 100K left waiting
Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins has defended the Government's vaccine pass rollout, as he said there are still up to 100,000 people waiting to get one.
<snip>
On Thursday, the Ministry of Health said around 70,000 Kiwis will be issued temporary exemptions from being required to produce a My Vaccine Pass while they await assistance obtaining them. The temporary exemption is a record of the individual’s request for assistance and has a unique identifier, the ministry said in a statement.
<snip>
>In his answer, Hipkins says that number is actually now higher but is being worked through. "If we break those numbers down, as of this morning, there were somewhere between 90 to 100,000 issues in the queue to be dealt with," he said." More than half of those are people who have been vaccinated overseas and are attempting to get their vaccines recognised in New Zealand, or they're people where there have been name-related issues in the way their records are in the system." For example, people who gave a slightly different variant of their name when they got their second dose compared to when they got their first dose and the system may not match them up well to generate their pass."
<snip>
The NZ Govt have know for months are many 1000's of people who have been vaccinated overseas and have come through MIQ. With prior planning that would not a problem today
As for minor name differences would think the unique NHI Number would identify.
The fine details of the vax passport system does not seem to be working (In AU have not read of similar issues)
Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: RFC
The NZ Govt have know for months are many 1000's of people who have been vaccinated overseas and have come through MIQ. With prior planning that would not a problem today
As for minor name differences would think the unique NHI Number would identify.
The fine details of the vax passport system does not seem to be working (In AU have not read of similar issues)
Seems to me that you're wanting the best of everything, but not accepting the realities of anything. They've had months to do it, but can't accept overseas vaccinations? OK, but you haven't said how they're supposed to *confirm* all those overseas vaccinations. And what do they do with people who have vaccines they don't regard as efficacious? You want the records to be accurate, don't you? You want people to actually have had a vaccine that works, no? People make mistakes, but you say that so long as the NHI numbers match then issue the pass anyway? A single data point check is sufficient? What do you do when people put in the wrong NHI number? The whole point of cross matching multiple data points is to reduce errors in records and issuing. So do we accept going down the road of shoddy data and make subsequent decisions from that, or do we try to maintain the date integrity with simple multiple checks along the way for each data set milestone? While I think there *are* multiple errors and cock-ups we can point to over handling of the response, I don't think you're really pointing to many of the important ones. I have the feeling from your posts that whatever the government does or doesn't do, it won't ever be good enough for you.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:39 pm

I wonder if in those 60-100k there are also people with an EU certificate, it should be easy enough to import into the NZ system since the opposite seems to be true.

In other news I got my CPVV within two weeks of applying and I got a decent fare to NZ for February. Fingers crossed it doesn't all go pear shaped!
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I wonder if in those 60-100k there are also people with an EU certificate, it should be easy enough to import into the NZ system since the opposite seems to be true.

In other news I got my CPVV within two weeks of applying and I got a decent fare to NZ for February. Fingers crossed it doesn't all go pear shaped!
The NZ govt & bureaucrats did not start planing early enough for the many 1000's of overseas vax certs to be integrated into the NZ system, . Many would be from UK, AU, EU & USA. But they need to be careful about forgeries.

In February would expect you will still need to do 7 (or 14?) days in quarantine. Today's MIQ lottery had slots up to March. Hope it all works out for you.
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...e-visitor-visa
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:01 am

In February would expect you will still need to do 7 (or 14?) days in quarantine. Today's MIQ lottery had slots up to March. Hope it all works out for you.
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...e-visitor-visa
I'm booked after February 14th so ideally I shouldn't have to do MIQ. Or did I get this wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.