Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:57 am

Also worth noting that the NZ vaccine certificate has been added to the EU database, and the QR code generated by the NZ authorities can be read and validated with European apps. I tested it today with the Dutch app, I assume others will work too.
Mwenenzi and Kiwi Flyer like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(rnz.co.nz)-->Covid-19 summary: Date confirmed for next phase; 205 new community cases

AU report of today's NZ Govt announcement (abc.net.au)---->Jacinda Ardern says New Zealand will move away from COVID zero, Air New Zealand cancels 1,000 flights to Australia
<snip>
Stringent quarantine rules for international arrivals will remain in place but Ms Ardern has committed to easing them early next year.

Air New Zealand cancels 1,000 flights

Air New Zealand said it has cancelled more than 1,000 flights to Australia through to the end of the year due to border uncertainty.

New Zealand ended quarantine-free travel with Australia in August after the Delta outbreak and has kept its borders tightly sealed.
"This will be particularly tough news for families and friends who were hoping to catch up over Christmas," said Air New Zealand chief customer and sales officer Leanne Geraghty.
"Our hands are tied until border restrictions ease, and we receive further clarity from the New Zealand government."
Edit
Still 1000's of Kiwi wanting to get home. Kiws look with envy that over the ditch AU citizen can go into NSW & VIC without quarantine.
(rnz.co.nz)---->Details of 'progressive' MIQ phase out in two weeks - Covid-19 Response Minister
There will be "a lot more movement" between Australia and New Zealand in the first quarter of 2022, with the government planning to announce changes to MIQ in the next two weeks, Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins says.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 22, 2021 at 2:22 am
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
When should I concede that my early February trip to NZ will not happen? Arriving from California after several days of stopover in Fiji. Vaxxed and boosted.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
When should I concede that my early February trip to NZ will not happen? Arriving from California after several days of stopover in Fiji. Vaxxed and boosted.
Very late Jan 2022.
The NZ Govt has retreated on the 90% vac rate vs traffic light system vs (complicated) rules would have applied to different parts of the country. Govt policy changes day to day/week to week with different Govt ministers stating different things (e.g. Hipkins AKL border exit pass vs Robertson) .
I expect they will retreat on the current closed border policy, especially with parts of AU wide open (NSW-VIC-ACT and soon QLD). Too many people will take a one way trip to AU. The NZ tourism industry will suffer more if closed for another summer. .

Edit
Published ~1 hrs ago but just seen it
(rnz.co.nz)--->Major MIQ changes from early next year
Most fully-vaccinated travellers into New Zealand will not need to go through managed isolation from early next year.Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins has been joined by Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield who will have the latest on Covid-19 cases around the motu.

Hipkins said fully vaccinated New Zealanders will be able to travel from Australia without having to quarantine from 16 January. Foreign nationals follow from April onwards. A mandatory seven day self-isolation period will still be in place for people not required to enter MIQ.

From 11.59pm on 16 January 2022, fully vaccinated New Zealanders and other eligible travellers can travel to New Zealand from Australia without staying in managed isolation or quarantine, Hipkins says.

From 11.59pm on 13 February, fully vaccinated New Zealanders and other eligible travellers can travel to New Zealand from all other countries.

From 30 April, fully vaccinated foreign travellers can travel to New Zealand. This will happen in a staged way, Hipkins said.

<snip>
Will need a bigger retreat for non citizens (-tourists)I expect that will happen.
Currently NZ has about 200 confirmed CV19 cases a day. Been constant for a while

Edit 2
The 7 days home isolation will stop many people

Nzherald--->New Zealand announces 2022 travel rules for fully vaccinated Kiwis

<snip>
Phase 1
From 11.59 pm Sunday, January 16 2022, fully vaccinated Kiwis and other eligible travellers can travel from Australia without needing to go through MIQ. Instead, you can isolate at home for seven days.

Phase 2
From 11.59 pm Sunday, February 13 2022, fully vaccinated Kiwis and other eligible travellers can travel to New Zealand from all other countries.

Phase 3
From April 30 2022 onwards, all fully vaccinated individuals can travel to New Zealand.

However, even fully vaccinated travellers will need more than a passport and a plane ticket
In addition, travellers will require:
- A negative pre-departure test
- Proof of full vaccination status
- A declaration confirming you have not been to high-risk countries
- Seven days in self-isolation
- A final negative test before entering the community

Further information about home isolation will be announced in December.
<snip>
Compare to Australians going home:- its out of the airport to do as you please (no specific restrictions)
nsx likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 23, 2021 at 9:43 pm
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
No MIQ - International Border Opening - Staged 2022

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...-from-february

Finally for Aussie Kiwis, then world Kiwis then rest of the world . . except high risk countries . . . .

But another summer locked in our fortress.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<snip>
Phase 1
From 11.59 pm Sunday, January 16 2022, fully vaccinated Kiwis and other eligible travellers can travel from Australia without needing to go through MIQ. Instead, you can isolate at home for seven days.

Phase 2
From 11.59 pm Sunday, February 13 2022, fully vaccinated Kiwis and other eligible travellers can travel to New Zealand from all other countries.

Phase 3
From April 30 2022 onwards, all fully vaccinated individuals can travel to New Zealand.

However, even fully vaccinated travellers will need more than a passport and a plane ticket
In addition, travellers will require:
- A negative pre-departure test
- Proof of full vaccination status
- A declaration confirming you have not been to high-risk countries
- Seven days in self-isolation
- A final negative test before entering the community

Further information about home isolation will be announced in December.
<snip>
Compare to Australians going home:- its out of the airport to do as you please (no specific restrictions)
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

There are really no practical ways to monitor self isolation which is why Australia abandoned this. For instance, where do you find the man power to monitor them and how? Who's going to deliver food to them? If they are allowed to go to the supermarket and mix with the crowd then what's the point? I am curious to know.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
There are really no practical ways to monitor self isolation which is why Australia abandoned this. For instance, where do you find the man power to monitor them and how? Who's going to deliver food to them? If they are allowed to go to the supermarket and mix with the crowd then what's the point? I am curious to know.
Hipkins press release/transcript--->Reconnecting New Zealand – the next steps
<snip>
“Further details on how self-isolation will be implemented will be made available in December, and include guidance on how people can travel from their arrival airport to their location of self-isolation and requirements for the places where they can self-isolate.
<snip>
Translation: - they have no idea what the process will be and the fine details. If they *had* a plan it would have been published today
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: NZ
I am actually wondering if this is a two way opening in that they will allow us to travel overseas with the limitations on returning as indicated. At the moment the Travel Advisory setting for all countries (except for the Cook Islands) is "Level 4 / Do not Travel". This means that it is almost impossible to get travel insurance with Covid cover, which a number of countries require. Anyone think that they will adjust these settings as Australia did?
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by nsx
Now. The way we look at it is that we will be lucky to get back there February 2023 to a normal NZ (which by my definition means no isolation, masks, quarantine). Optimistically autumn 2022.
nsx, JNelson113 and stewardo like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Now. The way we look at it is that we will be lucky to get back there February 2023 to a normal NZ (which by my definition means no isolation, masks, quarantine). Optimistically autumn 2022.
Autumn 2022 in NZ is March-April. On current NZ Govt statements at that time will be many restrictions.
I expect the NZ Govt will back down (retreat) on restrictions
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Autumn 2022 in NZ is March-April. On current NZ Govt statements at that time will be many restrictions.
I expect the NZ Govt will back down (retreat) on restrictions
Northern hemisphere autumn for me. Spring for you.

She's shifting for sure, time will tell.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:03 am

Programs: NZ Koru
At what point does the self Isolation requirement get removed? December 2022 or 2023 as it an election year?
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
This is a really good point. Here in NY, they tried this self-isolation nonsense before the vaccines came out, and it was widely ignored. At the moment a common strategy for countries in Europe and the Americas is to require isolation ONLY if you test positive, not for people entering the country. This seems to work - the increasing number of cases in Europe and elsewhere seems largely to be due to low vaccination rates, not outsiders bringing the virus in.

Hopefully NZ will adopt that strategy sooner rather than later. However, I suspect that many parts of the world, including the US, will be considered "high risk" due to our obstinate vaccine refuseniks, so NZ will continue to be off the travel map for us for at least all of next year.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Thanks so much everyone for the detailed info. I will be moving my trip to early 2023.

I feel very fortunate to have spent 3 full weeks on the South Island in February 2020. I arrived immediately after the ban on entry from China, departing one day before the first case appeared, ironically from California. In between, I witnessed the 1 meter rainfall in Fiordland. The South Island was so calm and relaxed with fewer tourists. So many lasting memories. I know my next visit will be very different, if only because of overcrowding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.