Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

02 May 2021 (rnz.co.nz)---->NZ's MIQ system four times more likely to be breached than Australia's - report
New research shows New Zealand's managed isolation and quarantine facilities are up to four times more likely to be breached than their Australian counterparts.

The report, whose authors include public health experts Michael Baker and Nick Wilson, is yet to be peer reviewed. It analysed 22 MIQ and quarantine failures in New Zealand and Australia up until the end of March. It found more than 13 failures for every 1000 positive cases going through a facility in New Zealand versus 3.5 failures per 1000 in Australia - almost a four-fold difference in risk. The failure rate per 100,000 travellers was 7.8 in New Zealand compared to 4.7 in Australia. The report said one reason for New Zealand's significantly higher failure risk is it had a "lower-quality approach". "The significantly higher failure risk per 1000 SARS-CoV-2 positive cases transiting quarantine in New Zealand versus Australia could reflect a lower quality approach in the former, with perhaps some of the difference due to greater detection in New Zealand from more border worker testing over a longer period." There were a total of 22 failures. "In Australia, 12 failures were identified, one causing over 800 deaths (Victoria's second wave) and eight out of the 12 resulting in lockdowns," the report said. "In New Zealand, there were ten failures, with one causing an outbreak with three deaths, and also a lockdown."
<snip>
From reports I have seen on TV, Baker seems overly cautious - alarmist.
LETTERBOY and Outbound24 like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:26 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
02 May 2021 (rnz.co.nz)---->NZ's MIQ system four times more likely to be breached than Australia's - report

From reports I have seen on TV, Baker seems overly cautious - alarmist.
Super alarmist. Australia also doesn't let you out of your room at all, whereas most MIQ facilities in NZ have outdoor access which is obviously going to introduce a degree of risk.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:44 am

Programs: SQ TPP7, NZ*E, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Another Crying Wolf paper

Originally Posted by samyoull
Super alarmist. Australia also doesn't let you out of your room at all, whereas most MIQ facilities in NZ have outdoor access which is obviously going to introduce a degree of risk.
That's not all. No consideration of where the returnees came from (that data is public), nor the changes progressively introduced over the past 12 months in NZ including adding pre-departure testing or the inclusion of the August cluster and Russian fishermen clusters in the NZ data when the same types of transmission were excluded from the Australian data.

Pure BS.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Interesting discussion yesterday, about what life will be like when the border is opened, its hard to imagine this being popular but good to see the government is working towards shifting from an elimination strategy once the vaccine rollout is complete: https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/healt...loomfield-says
Old May 15, 2021, 3:52 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Interesting discussion yesterday, about what life will be like when the border is opened, its hard to imagine this being popular but good to see the government is working towards shifting from an elimination strategy once the vaccine rollout is complete: https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/healt...loomfield-says
Thanks for posting that article, which links to another one that's even more promising: the prime minister says NZ is considering allowing vaccinated visitors.

“Will people who have been vaccinated in other countries be able to come in even if we haven’t finished our own rollout?”Ardern said the answer was “possibly”
(emphasis mine)
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...nd-the-bubbles
Old May 15, 2021, 6:25 pm

I was surprised and happy to hear that is on the table. On the other hand, I remember when the Cook Island bubble began discussions and the way the PM was talking it made it sound like it was imminent, and now it is only just started tomorrow, so with that I have learned to take any talk of relaxing of border restrictions with a grain of salt.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 10:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I was surprised and happy to hear that is on the table. On the other hand, I remember when the Cook Island bubble began discussions and the way the PM was talking it made it sound like it was imminent, and now it is only just started tomorrow, so with that I have learned to take any talk of relaxing of border restrictions with a grain of salt.
Yes the bubble with Australia was talked about publicly for many months before it opened.
Old May 16, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Speaking of the bubble with Australia - given how slowly the vaccination program is going in Australia compared with New Zealand's, would NZ's leadership feel at some point that they have a choice between allowing vaccinated foreigners and maintaining the bubble? And which do you think they would choose?
Old May 16, 2021, 1:13 pm

At this rate we will reach a point where we have given all adults a chance to get a vaccine and Australia will still be vaccinating its citizens. We are on track (so far) to finish this at the end of the year, Australia is set to finish this mid next year.

I think we will open in tandem with Australia.
​​​​
Old May 16, 2021, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by snic
Speaking of the bubble with Australia - given how slowly the vaccination program is going in Australia compared with New Zealand's, would NZ's leadership feel at some point that they have a choice between allowing vaccinated foreigners and maintaining the bubble? And which do you think they would choose?
So far Australia has vaccinated more people than NZ, so not yet an issue. NZ won't open up other than via limited bubbles until 2022 at the earliest.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me AA are being wildly optimistic. NZ Govt has given zero indications to date that a vaccination will make a difference to unrestricted entry to NZ. USA is still a big hot spot for CV19
21 May (ExecTrav AU)--->American Airlines eyes NZ restart with Auckland, Christchurch flights

American Airlines is preparing to resume flights to New Zealand from the end of this year, assuming an easing of current restrictions which may permit travel by passengers who have been fully vaccinated.The Oneworld member plans to reopen three US-NZ routes across December 2021-January 2022, all flown by the airline's Boeing 787 Dreamliner jets.
  • Los Angeles-Auckland is slated to resume as a daily service from December 16 2021
  • Dallas/Fort Worth-Auckland is also scheduled daily from January 4, 2022
  • Los Angeles-Christchurch will start from January 5 2022 with three flights per week

<snip>
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AE*E, Hyatt Diamond, AAdv, BA Exec
Wanted your opinion on scheduling travel plans in mid-May 2022. We are a Canadian family of 2 adults (fully vaccinated) and two kids (6 and 8). It is our big anniversary and thinking either South Pacific or Europe next May. Looking to travel sfo-fiji(stop)-New Zealand-Tahiti-us. Is this overly optimistic? Mostly concerned about New Zealand restrictions. Obviously, most of bookings we will make will be cancellable until later but don’t want yo go through the hassle of cancelling.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toflyer
Wanted your opinion on scheduling travel plans in mid-May 2022. We are a Canadian family of 2 adults (fully vaccinated) and two kids (6 and 8). It is our big anniversary and thinking either South Pacific or Europe next May. Looking to travel sfo-fiji(stop)-New Zealand-Tahiti-us. Is this overly optimistic? Mostly concerned about New Zealand restrictions. Obviously, most of bookings we will make will be cancellable until later but don’t want yo go through the hassle of cancelling.
No one knows what the situation will be in 12 months. At this time for NZ (and AU) vaccination/no vaccination makes no difference to entry requirements. NZ (and AU) will be very conservative with entry while Covid-19 is a risk.
NZ Govt -->https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...and-exceptions

NZ Govt has budgeted for quarantine facilities until June 2022, at least.
NZ Govt-->Extending support for the COVID-19 elimination strategy to June 2022
  • Funding to support the COVID-19 health response and quarantine facilities for a further 18 months
  • Money drawn down from the COVID-19 contingency fund
  • Further improvements to health response administration and governance
  • Lessons learned on surveillance and testing
<snip>
Australia is planning to build dedicated quarantine facilities. Some to be completed this calendar year, but most next year.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...-19/index.html

Edit
For a May 2022 trip I would not be looking for flights until say March.
May in NZ can be refreshing, as will be late autumn/fall - beginning of winter, but no snow.
For all those destinations would need a good amount of time.
Route--->Great Circle map

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 26, 2021 at 8:11 pm
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:42 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by toflyer
You won't get much more than speculation unfortunately, because planning at the moment isn't very clear.

Personally I think that travelling on that itinerary in May 2022 is likely to be OK, but on the fringe. I think April is the earliest likely timeframe and August the latest. I don't have much to back that up, it's just my feeling.
wanderlustFL likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

03 Jul 2021 (rnz.co.nz)---->2000 MIQ rooms empty each day as NZers struggle to secure a place
Almost 2000 managed isolation rooms sit empty each day, while New Zealanders trying to get home say they are struggling with an ongoing lack of vouchers.

Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) has been releasing vouchers in batches, but high demand has seen them snapped up in minutes, with no rooms showing as available for the next four months. Meanwhile the number of rooms intentionally left empty as "contingency" increased from 400 to 900 at the opening of the trans-Tasman bubble, while about 200 are unavailable because of hotel maintenance at the Grand Mercure and Grand Millennium. The ministry said others were unavailable as it changed the way returnees were grouped, and moved to a 'cohort' intake system. That meant up to 1983 rooms were empty this week, while about 3000 were occupied.
<snip>
The "allocate rooms in 1 hotel for 96 hrs" then close it off to new arrivals has reduced availability
Previously would often see slot available today/tomorrow/next day from (guessing) when people cancelled or failed to board. But with preboard CV19 test would have been hard to use

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...vid-19-numbers

01 Jul 2021 ---->Officials try to track 14,000 people to bill them for managed isolation fees
Only a govt department could mismanage something like this. Not hard to get people to provide a credit card when the leave MIQ

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 2, 2021 at 8:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.