Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Beano
I heard it is reviewed every day for the next three days ???
Yes a review every 24h but I doubt a change tomorrow as need:
* Genome Sequence
* School tested
* Workplaces tested (She works at LSG and I think another workplace that handles food, partner is a trades person & by sounds they don't know all the locations yet).

Before they consider level change.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:53 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Glad I didn’t end up booking those flights for this week this morning. If this goes on for more than 3 days, it’s going to be another major hit for NZ.

Its about time that all the International arrivals get sent to other parts for the country. Auckland has taken so many hits for the entire country now with our third lockdown.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There is nowhere else in NZ to send everybody.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
<snip>.

Its about time that all the International arrivals get sent to other parts for the country. Auckland has taken so many hits for the entire country now with our third lockdown.
SQ have 2 flights a week into CHC. All other airlines & NZ fly into AKL

MIQ hotels are not all in Auckland. From AKL pax go by bus or charter flights.
Most of the private charters (e.g Russian fisherman) & repatriation flights (when they were happening) into New Zealand seem to go into CHC
https://www.miq.govt.nz/being-in-man...ity-locations/

While Air Auckland (some times know as Air New Zealand) continues to put all flights into AKL it will be that way. Have wondered why Air Auckland continually only have AKL for trans Tasman flights. Been reports 40% of MIQ people are from AU. But AU is very low risk compared to many other parts of the world (UK EU USA India).

I did 2 weeks in the Crown Plaza MIQ in September after an MEL-AKL flight. The cost of my NZ flight AKL CHC after exiting MIQ was not that different to the cost of a TT flight a year ago. If Air Auckland (or Air Sydney[~QF] or JQ) had offered a MEL-CHC or MEL-WLG flight would have chosen that before AKL.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 14, 2021 at 12:34 pm
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
SQ have 2 flights a week into CHC. All other airlines & NZ fly into AKL

MIQ hotels are not all in Auckland. From AKL pax go by bus or charter flights
https://www.miq.govt.nz/being-in-man...ity-locations/

While Air Auckland (some times know as Air New Zealand) continues to put most flights into AKL it will be that way. Have wondered why Air Auckland continually only have AKL for trans Tasman flights. Been reports 40% of MIQ people are from AU. But AU is very low risk compared to many other parts of the world (UK EU USA India).
I did 2 weeks in the Crown Plaza in September after an MEL-AKL flight. If Air Auckland (or Air Sydney[~QF] or JQ) had offered a MEL-CHC or MEL-WLG flight would have chosen that before AKL.
Now that ZQN is out of peak season, and has near empty hotels (some have closed over the past week). It could make an change to make NZ/JQ send them Tasman A320 services directly to ZQN, to cater for that 40% of Australian arrivals in MIQ.

If we insist on still putting Australian arrivals into MIQ hotels. From most states they are pretty low risk, so don’t see why ZQN would be an issue.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that ZQN is out of peak season, and has near empty hotels (some have closed over the past week). It could make an change to make NZ/JQ send them Tasman A320 services directly to ZQN, to cater for that 40% of Australian arrivals in MIQ.

If we insist on still putting Australian arrivals into MIQ hotels. From most states they are pretty low risk, so don’t see why ZQN would be an issue.
Would have chosen ZQN before AKL if offered

Not all hotels are suitable to MIQ. Building design for security-access, air flow(ventilation) & police/security/medical staffing in the local area are also considered. As is a close major hospital (ICU capable) to treat really sick people. Same reason as why in AU only the major cities have the CV19 isolation hotels.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:54 am

Not all hotels are suitable to MIQ. Building design for security-access, air flow(ventilation) & police/security/medical staffing in the local area are also considered. As is a close major hospital (ICU capable) to treat really sick people. Same reason as why in AU only the major cities have the CV19 isolation hotels.
Isn’t QLD trying to send people to mining camps? Although they haven’t had any luck with that one yet.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:59 am

Programs: NZ Silver

Queenstown doesn't have the necessary medical facilities. Dunedin was investigated as an option, but I can't remember why it wasn't chosen - maybe the logistics of getting pax here.

Prof. Baker was speaking on the radio today and said there has been no documented case of transmission via a surface, so it seems unlikely it would've been picked up from aircraft linen.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by brenrox
Prof. Baker was speaking on the radio today and said there has been no documented case of transmission via a surface, so it seems unlikely it would've been picked up from aircraft linen.
It will interesting to see what the investigation brings out, I do wonder if her role involves going onboard the aircraft to collect the linen. Which then could mean contact with air crew.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:06 am

Programs: SQ TPP7, NZ*E, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
It's a nonsense

I've been through MIQ at the Pullman no less. Daily health checks (which require nursing staff) are heath theatre. Ditto access to ICU capacity. What happens when people in ZQN get critically ill? They are flown to Dunedin - no reason someone from MIQ can't be transferred. If for some odd reason the government requires MIQ from Australia, then a slightly different model is certainly possible in ZQN.
Bearing in mind the risk of someone from Aust arriving in NZ having CONID is lower than my chance of winning Lotto. Even less with pre-depature tests.
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
It will interesting to see what the investigation brings out, I do wonder if her role involves going onboard the aircraft to collect the linen. Which then could mean contact with air crew.
Of course, she may not be the index case in the chain of transmission - she is just the first case identified. Time will tell.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Of course, she may not be the index case in the chain of transmission - she is just the first case identified. Time will tell.
Particularly given that two in the household are symptomatic. If she was index would have expected only her to be symptomatic right now and the kid like the partner would test positive and be pre symptomatic.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[off topic]

Isn’t QLD trying to send people to mining camps? Although they haven’t had any luck with that one yet.
They have looked at a mining camp near Gladstone. But some distance (~100km) from the large airport in the region: Rockhampton. But Rockie does not have international flights, so would need to set immigration with staff.
They have also looked the private Toowoomba airport. That has international cargo.
But in both cases the aircraft would probably need to leave from BNE with outgoing pax. Also incoming freight is a good earner for airlines now. Going to TWB or ROK makes that less viable.
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
But the QLD state election is over now, so not so important now.

Darwin - Howard Springs works for the AU govt repatriation flights
  • AU tax payer is picking up the tab
  • The facility existed (built for the Darwin LPG projects)
  • The facility was used as an immigration detention centre so local experience in running such a facility
  • Howard Springs is ~30km from Darwin Airport - Hospital
  • Howard Springs is ~10km from the largish population centre on Palmerston (=staff)
[on topic]

Expect the NZ Govt is heavily involved in where Air NZ flys into, as they are running the on ground infrastructure

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 14, 2021 at 12:05 pm Reason: added "off topic"
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:48 am

Been reports 40% of MIQ people are from AU. But AU is very low risk compared to many other parts of the world (UK EU USA India).
If AU is very low risk then can we have a bubble!

What I don't understand is that Air NZ is suspending domestic catering but if I'm not wrong international catering comes out of the same facility including AU one-way bubble flights.

And the rolling carts these items are placed in
I've seen videos online of other catering facilities around the world and the carts get a good clean as well between flights (below is just one example @6 mins 17 secs):

One would assume/hope that the same level of cleaning occurs in Auckland.
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by henrus
If AU is very low risk then can we have a bubble!

What I don't understand is that Air NZ is suspending domestic catering but if I'm not wrong international catering comes out of the same facility including AU one-way bubble flights.
I did see somewhere this afternoon that International Flights would be provided alternative meals. I would assume that they will be something from Gate Gourmet for these flights.

LGS is closed, depending staff test results. So all international flights departing that use LGS will be effected.

The one way Tasman bubble has popped again, so no need for catering on the Tasman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.