Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
It's good to finally have some sort of plan from the NZ government for border reopening. Unfortunately I suspect that travelers from the US will be considered "high risk" because of the low vaccination rate and high rate of spread of the delta variant.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I wonder how this will really work in a practical sense.

As soon as the border is opened, even to vaccinated people from "low risk" countries, there will undoubtedly be covid. Delta is that infectious.

NZ will then see covid spread. Will they be okay with that? They've gotten used to not having to deal with covid. That will require quite a psychological readjustment.
stewardo, snic, CPMaverick and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I wonder how this will really work in a practical sense.
It won't.

Will they be okay with that?
No.

That will require quite a psychological readjustment.
Which, given their attitude so far, they aren't willing to make. If New Zealand is serious about this, they're delusional.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
As soon as the border is opened, even to vaccinated people from "low risk" countries, there will undoubtedly be covid. Delta is that infectious.

NZ will then see covid spread. Will they be okay with that?
If *everyone* is vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, then even though the virus will spread, it will be relatively harmless. However:
1) Not everyone will be vaccinated.
2) Some people who are vaccinated will be immune-compromised and get sick
3) Some people who are vaccinated but not healthy will get sick

Because of 1, 2 and 3, the government will be aware that opening the border means that some people will die. Given popular sentiment in NZ, my (admittedly not very educated) guess is that they will opt to keep the border rigorously closed for much longer than they are talking about now.

And that assumes that no variant emerges that will be resistant to the Pfizer vaccine.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by snic
If *everyone* is vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, then even though the virus will spread, it will be relatively harmless. However:
1) Not everyone will be vaccinated.
2) Some people who are vaccinated will be immune-compromised and get sick
3) Some people who are vaccinated but not healthy will get sick

Because of 1, 2 and 3, the government will be aware that opening the border means that some people will die. Given popular sentiment in NZ, my (admittedly not very educated) guess is that they will opt to keep the border rigorously closed for much longer than they are talking about now.

And that assumes that no variant emerges that will be resistant to the Pfizer vaccine.
Will New Zealander farm/harvest themselves?

I thought one big reason to open is labor shortage.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
1 Community case discovered today so now Jacinda will plunge us all into Level 4. I have a flight to BNE on Saturday with approved travel documents and an approved QR code for green entry. Does anyone know what happens to this if Auckland goes into level 4 lockdown (for 1 case)? Does it mean that during this lockdown I will not be allowed to travel to BNE without quarantine on Arrival?

Im trying to remember if there was ever a time where Auckland was in lockdown of level 3 or 4 and Brisbane or Sydney wasnt? Id be curious to know what Australia did with their end of the border between NZ if it did.

I suppose its only If the AU government classifies NZ as a hotspot? I doubt they would do that with 1 case but im not sure.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More of a question for the AU CV19 thread----> Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Look at AU federal govt web site & QLD govt web site
AU https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/n...fe-travel-zone
AU https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
QLD https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condit...-to-queensland

And the Air NZ web site

Would not surprise me if AU federal and QLD govt stop the TT bubble. Last time for a CV19 community case in NZ, QLD moved before the AU federal govt. It may take them a few hours to react. QLD & WA have been trigger happy

Cannot see you will be going into 14 days AU/QLD quarantine. No space and the AU/QLD govt would stop flights arriving. Flights in the air now NZ-->AU now may be different.

Link (rnz.co.nz)--->Covid-19 community case live: PM Jacinda Ardern, Ashley Bloomfield announce response

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 17, 2021 at 12:58 am
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:32 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by DLATL777
1 Community case discovered today so now Jacinda will plunge us all into Level 4..
Let's just stop right there and understand that the response is the correct response.

NZ can't wait until it reaches 10 or 20 or 100. Given the vaccination rates in NZ and the available ICU beds (less than 200 nationwide, IIRC) the ONLY option they have is a lockdown the instant they find a case, followed by trace & limit. There is no other option for NZ.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
Will New Zealander farm/harvest themselves?

I thought one big reason to open is labor shortage.
A number of farm workers have been allowed to enter the country through the quarantine hotel programme (known as MIQ) and from next month there are plans for a visa scheme that will allow some workers from no-covid or very-low-covid Pacific nations to enter without quarantine. Some more details here
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 more cases announced at about 06:15 this morning (~2 hrs ago)
(rnz.co.nz)--->Live Covid-19 updates: NZ in alert level 4 lockdown as more cases revealed
(stuff.co.nz)--->Covid-19 live: Auckland Hospital worker tests positive, bringing total cases to five, says PM Jacinda Ardern

To me the chances of Auckland going out of alert level 4 lockdown after the 7 days are zero. Expect it will be extended (as happened in VIC, AU)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 17, 2021 at 9:29 pm
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Demand will exceed supply by a significant margin.
Cannot see the AU to NZ TT bubble opening in the next 3 months. Maybe from WA, but more NZers in QLD-NSW-VIC wanting a trip home for Christmas-New Year.
(rnz.co.nz)---> NZ's MIQ booking system to resume on Monday
<snip>
Announcing changes to the MIQ booking system today, Hipkins said 4000 rooms a fortnight will be released each fortnight between now and Christmas.

About 3000 of those rooms will be released from Monday. Hipkins said anyone who enters the virtual 'lobby system' between 8am and 9am on Monday will have an equal chance of securing a room. He asked people know their preferred flight route and select the correct date of arrival to avoid wasting MIQ rooms. Monday's voucher release will not include red flights from Australia. Hipkins said a decision on the trans-Tasman bubble will be made next week. Hipkins said the new MIQ system was not a 'first in, first served' model. People will be randomly moved into a queue and when they get to the front they'll get to book a room. Hipkins said the lobby was designed so that bots could not access it. But on third parties, he said it was not something he encourages but sometimes there were legitimate reasons for why someone may need to use them. The local pressure on MIQ system had started to ease, Hipkins said. "It isn't a silver bullet and we are fully expecting there will be more demand for rooms than rooms available." He said pressure on MIQ will still be there until at least the end of this year.
More details about the 'lobby system' can be found on the official website here.
<snip>
Edit
NZ Govt---> Managed isolation and quarantine data
Find our daily snapshot data below. We changed the format of these on 30 July 2021. The snapshot now includes the impacts of cohorting on capacity.

We have combined occupied rooms and rooms unoccupied due to cohorting, to create a total room allocation that more accurately reflects room availability.

For more information about common media topics, including vouchers, please visit the Media Centre.
"We have combined occupied rooms and rooms unoccupied due to cohorting, to create a total room allocation that more accurately reflects room availability" Otherwise know as hiding the real situation of unoccupied rooms vs occupied room. Open and transparent it is *not*.

Edit 2
16 Sept (rnz.co.nz)---->Sports teams, business people and entertainers using MIQ spots
<snip.>
From November through to March, a host of sports teams arrive into the country:
  • All Blacks (65 rooms)
  • Black Ferns (65 rooms)
  • Black Caps (77 rooms)
  • Bangladesh cricket team (35 rooms)
  • Women's Cricket World Cup (181 rooms)
  • Silver Ferns (24 rooms)
  • South Africa cricket team (35 rooms)
  • Winter Olympics returnees (53 rooms)
  • Netherlands cricket team (35 rooms)
  • Winter Paralympians (11 rooms)
Only around half of the available rooms in the MIQ system are actually used by regular New Zealanders booking through the Managed Isolation Allocation System (MIAS).

When all MIQ facilities are available, there are 4900 rooms available per fortnight, but a total of 2400-2550 are not used by MIAS bookings:
  • 350-500 are set aside for large groups and special allocations
  • 350 for emergency allocations
  • 900 rooms set aside for contingency
  • 15 percent or 600-odd lost to cohorting
  • 4-7 percent or 200-odd lost due to no shows

Occasionally hotels are unavailable due to maintenance or ventilation issues.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 16, 2021 at 10:55 pm
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once you are in the queue(lobby) does not seem to be a way to get out of the queue(lobby)
The queue(lobby ) opened 08:00 and bookings from 09:00 (NZ time)
https://www.miq.govt.nz/
Message last updated: 10:32
There are no more November or December rooms left. There will be another room release soon with more November and December rooms. If you intend to travel in November or December and do not want a date for any other month, please leave the queue. There are still rooms for September, October available.

If you are successful in entering the site today, once you secure your date, please log out and leave the site. You can return later today or tomorrow to add your flight details. This will allow the queue to flow freely and enable more people to enter the site to book rooms.
Message last updated: 10:57
Only rooms in September remain. There will be another room release soon with more October, November and December rooms. If you intend to travel in Oct, Nov or Dec and do not want a date for any other month, please leave the queue
Message last updated: 11:14
Only rooms for the next week remain, 21st to 26th Sept. If you can arrive on these dates please stay in the queue. There will be another room release soon with more October, November and December rooms.
Message last updated: 11:32
The room release has now concluded. Thanks for your patience. There will be another room release soon with more October, November and December rooms.
In the past MIQ slots would be become available in 48hrs when people failed to enter valid flights

(stuff.co,nz)--->November and December MIQ spots gone in 67 minutes, thousands miss out
(nzherald.co,nz)--->Queue for 'virtual lobby' MIQ booking system tops 22,000
<snip>
Regan Collins stayed up late in London to get in the online queue. He was positioned 12,500 in the queue after logging into the system at 8.01am. "It does feel like some sort of cruel game to enter a lottery for a flight back home, surely there should be some form of priority to those with special circumstances such as critically ill loved ones," Collins told the Herald. "I have had two vaccines which in the UK lessens my level of quarantine time when travelling back into the UK. New Zealand must look at some alternatives to a 14-day hotel quarantine otherwise what is the long-term strategy?

Wellington telco engineer Jonathan Brewer, who has been stuck in Singapore for months trying to book an MIQ room, told the Herald: "This system is designed for selling concert tickets, not for helping people get home. I don't think anyone involved in this project is going to be putting it on their CV. I know I wouldn't."
<snip>
Edit
(rnz.co.nz)---->Tears and cheers as thousands miss spots in MIQ offering
There has been disappointment and frustration for the 22,000 New Zealanders trying to get home through the MIQ system who missed out on places this morning.

At least 25,000 people were vying for a place using a new 'virtual lobby system'. Just 3000 of them, who were randomly given a spot at the front of the queue, were able to get a booking for rooms from September through to December.
<snip>
Edit 2
(rnz.co.nz)---->Thousands more MIQ vouchers to come - MIQ deputy CEO
Up to 7000 vouchers for managed isolation spots are to be released before the end of the year, MIQ deputy chief executive Megan Main says.

There were 3200 rooms released this morning under the new system which randomly allocates each person a position in the queue. For the more than 22,000 who did not get a spot, they can have another shot in a couple of weeks' time. She said overall the booking system went smoothly today. "We had 5300 people from 117 countries who were able to get vouchers in those 3200 rooms that we released and I know it was good for those people but I know there were thousands of people who missed out in today's release."

Main said they were planning to release another few thousand vouchers early next week. She said mid-week they will be looking to see if any of today's vouchers had not been confirmed and whether they can be re-released. There were 25,000 people in the new online lobby just before 9am today, Main said. After 9am there were 31,800, she said. Those new entries after 9am went to the back of queue, she said.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 20, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Old Sep 21, 2021, 1:19 am

What a disaster this policy is turning into. While I understand that politically it makes no sense to open the country, we're now quickly going towards two years of splendid isolation and with thousands of citizens (not tourists!) who cannot return home.

Hopefully the home quarantine trials in Australia and the reopening of the US will push the NZ government to scrap or at least reduce the scope of the MIQ.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:29 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Just got an email from a Queenstown hotel that I've stayed in before the pandemic.

They're announcing reopening on 10/20 and invites me to book at a special rate.

I suspect they're sending the email to everyone, not bothering to sort between people in NZ and international visitors.

Would love to help them out but NZ is probably not ready to welcome American tourists for awhile yet?

What is the vaccination progress over there?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
Just got an email from a Queenstown hotel that I've stayed in before the pandemic.
They're announcing reopening on 10/20 and invites me to book at a special rate.

I suspect they're sending the email to everyone, not bothering to sort between people in NZ and international visitors.
Would love to help them out but NZ is probably not ready to welcome American tourists for awhile yet?

What is the vaccination progress over there?
NZ will not be open then. NZ Govt will be very very conservative with border reopening, And then some. Q2 2022 may be different

NZ (& AU) vaccination started late. Supply was(is?) an issue. NZ is trailing AU in vaccination rate. No target has been stated but recently politicians are mentioning 90%. (Little hope of getting that) And no plan on what may happen when % are reached. The NZ govt campaign of fear is continuing.
https://ourworldindata.org/explorers...US~NZL~USA~CAN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.