Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The NZ govt campaign of fear is continuing.
Pardon? Care to expand on that?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did hear on the radio a day or so ago, about ~600 people forfeited rooms when they did not enter flight details. That is data the govt should be publishing.
Many to most of these 5015 people will be doubled jabbed, but get no credit for that. Link-->Vaccinated NZers overseas demand access to home isolation
Is still a better system than for AU, but going to a points system as some in NZ are advocating, is not likely IMHO. How many points for what criteria would have an endless debate.

NZ govt web sites
MIQ’s fourth voucher release via virtual lobby - 12 Oct 2021
The lobby opened about 15 minutes before 9am today.
At 10am 22,459 people were moved into the queue — this was randomised, as part of the lobby process. This number continued to grow as people entered the queue throughout the room release (these people go to the back of the queue). There were 24,987 people in the queue in total.

Rooms started being released at 10am and were gone by 12:02pm. 5,015 people from 111 countries managed to secure MIQ vouchers – that’s across 2,927 rooms.
<snip>
Rooms released today
November — 159
December — 1,197
January – 1,571

Top countries (by departure point)(Note: This is people not rooms)
Australia — 986 passengers
Great Britain — 773 passengers
USA — 541 passengers
India — 475 passengers
United Arab Emirates — 211 passengers
China — 205 passengers
Canada — 146 passengers
Germany — 123 passengers
Singapore — 98 passengers
Philippines — 86 passengers

Summary of first room release (Monday 20 September)
  • More than 25,000 people joined the lobby before 9am and were moved into the randomised queue.
  • 31,900 entered the queue in total
  • More than 5,300 people from 117 countries did manage to secure vouchers through this release -- that’s across 3,200 rooms.
  • 338 rooms were released for September
  • 1767 rooms were released for October
  • 600 rooms were released for November
  • 500 rooms were released for December
  • Top countries by departure point: Australia (1352 passengers); Great Britain (774 passengers); India (460 passengers); USA (453 passengers); China (268 passengers).
Summary of second room release (Tuesday 28 September)
  • 26,700 people joined the lobby before 6pm and were moved into the randomised queue.
  • 31,319 entered the queue in total
  • More than 6,200 people from 125 countries did manage to secure vouchers through this release -- that’s across 3,718 rooms.
  • 1,434 rooms were released for October
  • 1,600 rooms were released for November
  • 684 rooms were released for December
  • Top countries by departure point: Australia (1629 passengers); Great Britain (791 passengers); India (647 passengers); USA (495 passengers); China (263 passengers).
Summary of third room release (Tuesday 5 October)
  • 25,100 people joined the lobby before 12noon and were moved into the randomised queue.
  • 28,406 entered the queue in total
  • More than 6,400 people from 126 countries did manage to secure vouchers through this release -- that’s across 3,739 rooms.
  • 316 rooms were released for October
  • 1,501 rooms were released for November
  • 1,201 rooms were released for December
  • 721 rooms were released for January
  • Top countries by departure point: Australia (1296 passengers); Great Britain (970 passengers); USA (722 passengers); India (583 passengers); China (272 passengers).
NZ Govt-->
MIQ’s third voucher release via virtual lobby - 5 Oct 2021
MIQ’s second voucher release via virtual lobby

edit 2

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 15, 2021 at 5:30 pm Reason: Added link "Vaccinated NZers overseas demand access to home isolation"
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:13 am

I think home quarantine is inevitable. The MIQ system will quickly lose political favour when it's new zealanders (better, voting new zealanders) that will start being sent there instead of faceless "foreigners" coming in on a "holiday" flight.

December is a long way away, but my wild guess is that they'll hold on to MIQ until Christmas and then drop it in the new year, unless the situation gets completely out of control and NZ will just shut down entirely.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by malmostoso
I think home quarantine is inevitable. The MIQ system will quickly lose political favour when it's new zealanders (better, voting new zealanders) that will start being sent there instead of faceless "foreigners" coming in on a "holiday" flight.

December is a long way away, but my wild guess is that they'll hold on to MIQ until Christmas and then drop it in the new year, unless the situation gets completely out of control and NZ will just shut down entirely.
Isn't part of the problem that there is no defintion from the govt as to what "completely out of control is"? I know my relatives on the south island have done a bit of an about turn on their attitude to the approach and the uncertainty that has led to, and another lockdown will not be as well supported. "Cancelling" Christmas will not be very popular with kiwis if they cannot get back for another year, so I am wondering if the accelerated vaccination program is to try and relieve the pressure on the health system and to move away from MIQ as soon as possible. I'm not criticising the approach here, just wondering what the likely path out of this.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Isn't part of the problem that there is no defintion from the govt as to what "completely out of control is"?
The most infuriating part seems to be that the NZ government hasn't worked out an exit strategy in the 18 months of advantage that closing up gave them. And now they are going through the same stages of grief that we went through in Europe starting from summer 2020, where no measure actually seems to make sense.

I've long ago decided to stop worrying and just enjoy working from home and ordering take away. I got my shots, my kids are going to school, I won't be bothered further, but I have an angry kiwi at home that really wants to see her family
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Alaska
The most infuriating part seems to be that the NZ government hasn't worked out an exit strategy in the 18 months of advantage that closing up gave them. And now they are going through the same stages of grief that we went through in Europe starting from summer 2020, where no measure actually seems to make sense.

I've long ago decided to stop worrying and just enjoy working from home and ordering take away. I got my shots, my kids are going to school, I won't be bothered further, but I have an angry kiwi at home that really wants to see her family
I would say, in the last 18 months, the kiwis are living a much better life than the rest of the world. They don't have to worry about COVID and almost everything is open, except travel overseas.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
I would say, in the last 18 months, the kiwis are living a much better life than the rest of the world. They don't have to worry about COVID and almost everything is open, except travel overseas.
True. What I disagree with is that they don't have to worry about covid. The virus is now spreading in the community, and might get out of control precisely because people are not used to it. I obviously hope it won't, of course!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: Alaska
True. What I disagree with is that they don't have to worry about covid. The virus is now spreading in the community, and might get out of control precisely because people are not used to it. I obviously hope it won't, of course!
They could choose to live just like the rest of world. Fully vaccinated and without worry.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
The most infuriating part seems to be that the NZ government hasn't worked out an exit strategy in the 18 months of advantage that closing up gave them
I thought the exit strategy was along the lines of "get everyone vaccinated and then gradually open borders, depending on what variants are circulating in the rest of the world and how resistant to them vaccinated New Zealanders are." It wouldn't make sense to spell out a specific exit strategy or timeline only to have to change it in response to changing circumstances such as new vaccine-resistant variants.

I guess one could have wished that the vaccinations had happened more quickly. But my sense was that the government was taking its time in order to observe what happened with vaccinations in other countries. If one of the vaccines had proved more dangerous than initial studies indicated, that would have been seen as a very prudent strategy. Now it seems a bit misguided but at the time I could see why it made sense because the isolation strategy was working, it was accepted by the vast majority if New Zealanders, and therefore there didn't seem to be a need to rush the vaccinations.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by snic
Now it seems a bit misguided but at the time I could see why it made sense because the isolation strategy was working, it was accepted by the vast majority if New Zealanders, and therefore there didn't seem to be a need to rush the vaccinations.
I think you're right, it's mostly hindsight and let's be honest, any decision taken in this matter worldwide has been "wrong" in some way, it has been impossible to please everyone.

I find the idea of a country not accepting their own citizens to be deeply wrong, though. Anyway, hopefully this will end soon
Old Oct 22, 2021, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a perm res I got this yesterday, it might be elsewhere:

Kia ora,

From 1 November 2021, non-New Zealand citizens aged 17 years and over must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter New Zealand.

New Zealand permanent residents and temporary visa holders are not New Zealand citizens and will need to declare vaccination or exemption:
  • when booking places in managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ)
  • when checking in for the flight (evidence will be required), and
  • to Customs officers in New Zealand (evidence will be required).
The last dose of an approved course of vaccine must have been taken at least 14 days before travel. Travellers who fail to meet requirements will not be permitted to board their flight.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
As a perm res I got this yesterday, it might be elsewhere:

Kia ora,

From 1 November 2021, non-New Zealand citizens aged 17 years and over must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter New Zealand.

New Zealand permanent residents and temporary visa holders are not New Zealand citizens and will need to declare vaccination or exemption:
  • when booking places in managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ)
  • when checking in for the flight (evidence will be required), and
  • to Customs officers in New Zealand (evidence will be required).
The last dose of an approved course of vaccine must have been taken at least 14 days before travel. Travellers who fail to meet requirements will not be permitted to board their flight.
May catch some PR's-visa holders who are vaccine hesitant/anti vax or from a country where NZ approved vaccines are hard to get
Did the email link to approved list?
NZ govt
Old Oct 22, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
May catch some PR's-visa holders who are vaccine hesitant/anti vax or from a country where NZ approved vaccines are hard to get
Did the email link to approved list?
NZ govt
First yes, second no.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(rnz.co.nz)--->Covid-19 community case reported in the South Island with positive test in Blenheim
The South Island has its first community case of Covid-19 since the current outbreak began, with a person testing positive for the coronavirus in Blenheim, the Health Ministry has confirmed.

The case flew from Rotorua and arrived in Blenheim on Thursday. They were tested upon arrival after developing a sore throat. "The initial test, including a follow-up swab, returned a weak positive result." The ministry said the case is now isolating awaiting the results of further testing. The case is considered low risk, due to their likely late stage of infection. The ministry said initial case interviews suggested the case was linked to the Te Awamutu cluster.
<snip>
Vaccination rates in the Marlborough region have seen 90 percent of residents receive their first dose, with 78 percent fully immunised.
It is the first community case in the South Island in almost a year.
<snip>
In NZ had rapid testing everyone could be(should be) tested before boarding flights/ferry to the South Island. Would stop some (but not all)
Old Oct 23, 2021, 12:40 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Wow test because of sore throat, not even fever or other symptoms?

I've had sore throat a couple of times this summer while traveling. Never tested positive. But I didn't get tested because of sore throat, just testing before flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.