FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:29 am
Silver Fox
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by malmostoso
I think home quarantine is inevitable. The MIQ system will quickly lose political favour when it's new zealanders (better, voting new zealanders) that will start being sent there instead of faceless "foreigners" coming in on a "holiday" flight.

December is a long way away, but my wild guess is that they'll hold on to MIQ until Christmas and then drop it in the new year, unless the situation gets completely out of control and NZ will just shut down entirely.
Isn't part of the problem that there is no defintion from the govt as to what "completely out of control is"? I know my relatives on the south island have done a bit of an about turn on their attitude to the approach and the uncertainty that has led to, and another lockdown will not be as well supported. "Cancelling" Christmas will not be very popular with kiwis if they cannot get back for another year, so I am wondering if the accelerated vaccination program is to try and relieve the pressure on the health system and to move away from MIQ as soon as possible. I'm not criticising the approach here, just wondering what the likely path out of this.