Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: RFC
Science is a long way from some people's posts https://www.finddx.org/covid-19/sars...-eval-results/
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:17 pm

Another question on pre-departure testing for New Zealand: I have a relatively long layover in Australia that gives me enough time to spend some time in Sydney between flights.

My read of the New Zealand entry requirements is that my pre-departure test in the U.S. will be sufficient for the SYD-AKL flight notwithstanding the fact that I will have entered Australia because I will have spent less than 72 hours in Australia (From the New Zealand government site: "If you are stopping over for more than 72 hours in another country on your way to New Zealand, you will need to do a pre-departure test for New Zealand there . . ."). I also assume that I'll get my boarding pass for the SYD-AKL flight from United when checking in in the U.S. and will only have to clear security and passport control in Sydney with no further health document check. But before I take those assumptions to the bank, has anyone had recent experience with a scenario like that?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAview
Another question on pre-departure testing for New Zealand: I have a relatively long layover in Australia that gives me enough time to spend some time in Sydney between flights.

My read of the New Zealand entry requirements is that my pre-departure test in the U.S. will be sufficient for the SYD-AKL flight notwithstanding the fact that I will have entered Australia because I will have spent less than 72 hours in Australia (From the New Zealand government site: "If you are stopping over for more than 72 hours in another country on your way to New Zealand, you will need to do a pre-departure test for New Zealand there . . .").

I also assume that I'll get my boarding pass for the SYD-AKL flight from United when checking in in the U.S. and will only have to clear security and passport control in Sydney with no further health document check. But before I take those assumptions to the bank, has anyone had recent experience with a scenario like that?
For AU you need a visa and/or appropriate passport if formally entering AU. Some passport holders need a transit visa.
And complete the AU DPD (even if airside transit).
AU Govt
COVID-19 and the border
Digital Passenger Declaration

There is RAT testing at SYD airport if needed. https://www.histopath.com.au/locations/airport
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: US DM Silver
Entering New Zealand

Flying SEA-YVR-SYD on AC and then I have a little over 24 hours in SYD before on to AKL on LA. Will NZ accept a covid test 48 hours or less before our departure from SEA or do we need to get it in Sydney. Also, is there anything I need to do to enter New Zealand besides the NZeTA, covid test and my vaccine card? I'm traveling with my wife and 2 toddlers.

Everyone's help is appreciated in advance.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ushela03
Flying SEA-YVR-SYD on AC and then I have a little over 24 hours in SYD before on to AKL on LA. Will NZ accept a covid test 48 hours or less before our departure from SEA or do we need to get it in Sydney. Also, is there anything I need to do to enter New Zealand besides the NZeTA, covid test and my vaccine card? I'm traveling with my wife and 2 toddlers.

Everyone's help is appreciated in advance.
Been asked before. Look at the posts on the last few pages here--->New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border] (Have asked moderators to merge)

Is SYD-AKL on the same ticket as SEA-YVR-SYD? Planning on a PCR or RAT at SEA?
AU will require, in addition to a visa if needed, the AU DPD if transiting or the destination-->https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid19

NZ requires a travel declaration--> https://www.travellerdeclaration.govt.nz/
After arrival you are required to do a RAT at day 0 or1 and 5 or 6. And report via a link in the email NZ Health send you
https://covid19.govt.nz/

Enjoy your time in NZ.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: US DM Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Been asked before. Look at the posts on the last few pages here--->New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border] (Have asked moderators to merge)

Is SYD-AKL on the same ticket as SEA-YVR-SYD? Planning on a PCR or RAT at SEA?
AU will require, in addition to a visa if needed, the AU DPD if transiting or the destination-->https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid19

NZ requires a travel declaration--> https://www.travellerdeclaration.govt.nz/
After arrival you are required to do a RAT at day 0 or1 and 5 or 6. And report via a link in the email NZ Health send you
https://covid19.govt.nz/

Enjoy your time in NZ.
It is not the same ticket SYD-AKL. Can I do a RAT in SEA and use that to enter NZ? I depart SEA on 6/25, and then with the flights, time change, and 24 lay-over in Sydney I won't enter NZ until 6/28.

For the RAT on Day 0/1 or 5/6 = can that be an at home test we administer to ourselves?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:35 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It is not the same ticket SYD-AKL. Can I do a RAT in SEA and use that to enter NZ? I depart SEA on 6/25, and then with the flights, time change, and 24 lay-over in Sydney I won't enter NZ until 6/28.

For the RAT on Day 0/1 or 5/6 = can that be an at home test we administer to ourselves?
Hopefully the pre departure test requirement will be gone by then.

On arrival everyone gets given 3 RATS to self-take. You get emailed a survey to report test results (ie positive or negative).
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ignore the dates/date line. For a RAT needs to be 24hrs max.
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
https://covid19.govt.nz/internationa...r-new-zealand/
https://covid19.govt.nz/internationa...departure-test
a PCR test taken a maximum of 48 hours before the scheduled departure of your first international flight to New Zealand
  • a supervised rapid antigen test (RAT) taken a maximum of 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your first international flight to New Zealand
  • a supervised loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) test taken a maximum of 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your first international flight to New Zealand.
With 24 hrs in AU, my opinion is your trip to NZ starts in AU. Others may have a different view.
SYD airport has testing. https://www.histopath.com.au/locations/airport
At some time airport testing will stop, With no testing to many countries demand a lot less than a ~month ago.

When do you depart ? NZ Herald--->Pre-departure tests into NZ gone on Monday {not an official announcement)
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to what most of the rest of the world has be doing for some time.

NZ Govt --->Pre-departure tests to enter New Zealand
Latest update — 16 June 2022
From 21 June you no longer need a pre-departure test
Travellers whose first international flight to New Zealand departs after 11:59pm (NZT) 20 June 2022 do not need pre-departure tests. This applies to people entering New Zealand from anywhere in the world.

If your flight to New Zealand departs before 11:59pm (NZT) 20 June 2022, you still need to meet pre-departure testing requirements.

Most travellers still need to be vaccinated, and take 2 rapid antigen tests (RATs) after arriving in New Zealand.
<snip>
16 Jun (rnz.co.nz)--->Government confirms pre-departure tests will be scrapped

The government has confirmed pre-departure tests will be scrapped from 20 June.

Covid-19 Response Minister Dr Ayesha Verrall said the government had intended to remove the requirement by 31 July but as cases continued to decline despite an increase in travellers, there was evidence the measure could now be lifted.

"Around 90 percent of international arrivals undertake their required testing once they are in the country, with only a 2-3 percent positivity rate. So we don't anticipate a significant increase in border cases once the requirement is lifted," she said.

The availability and cost of getting a test had also increasingly become a barrier to people travelling to New Zealand, she said.

Travellers would still be required to self-test on day 0/1 and again on day 5/6. Anyone who tested positive would need to get a PCR test to allow the government to understand what new strains of Covid-19 were arriving at the border, she said.

"Also from Monday evening, passengers transiting through New Zealand will no longer need to be vaccinated, nor be required to complete a New Zealand Traveller Declaration.
<snip>
Silver Fox and stephenjc like this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx
YHA Lake Tekapo, my favorite place in NZ, is shutting down. I just received this email:

If you are local and you are able to stay at YHA Lake Tekapo before the December 15 shutdown, you should go.
I just discovered that YHA Tekapo is back in business, taking reservations, and has wide open availability for summer unlike everything else in the area. They must have a deal with the new owners of that building.

YHA Lakefront Queenstown is also taking reservations.

This is great news.
Mwenenzi and pandaperth like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Slightly late to the party, but NZ removed all covid entry restrictions as of Dec. 21st as per IATA.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx
I just discovered that YHA Tekapo is back in business, taking reservations, and has wide open availability for summer unlike everything else in the area. They must have a deal with the new owners of that building.

YHA Lakefront Queenstown is also taking reservations.

This is great news.
YHA Lake Tekapo recently became Haka House Lake Tekapo at almost double the prices.

If you made a reservation while it was a YHA, that rate will be honored, but not the 10% membership discount.

edited to add: The new rates are slightly more than double YHA’s rates booking a year ago. Nevertheless, this hostel is virtually sold out. The investors are making out very well, but I expect the clientele will no longer include many young single people on limited budgets.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by nsx; Feb 11, 2024 at 10:48 pm
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Originally Posted by nsx
YHA Lake Tekapo recently became Haka House Lake Tekapo at almost double the prices.

If you made a reservation while it was a YHA, that rate will be honored, but not the 10% membership discount.
Wonder if the other ex YHA NZ now Haka properties are the same.
Due to the pandemic YHA NZ had serious financial issues.
7 Dec 2023 Haka House hostels pledge to revive 13 backpacker sites this summer
<snip>
The Haka House Hostels are moving into properties barely exited by previous occupants. During the pandemic, New Zealand saw a contraction of available budget accommodation, with some large hostel chains diversifying or closing entirely.YHA International, which pulled out of New Zealand in 2021 after 89 years, closed all 11 properties across the country in November 2021.

They walked away from an almost new $9m, 128-bed hostel at Lake Tekapo which opened in April 2019. The property quietly reopened under new ownership 12 months ago. The Herald reported that 10 former YHA properties were bought by ‘overseas interests’ last year, with investors including Haka Hospitality’s Thai business partner GCP.
<snipe>
YHA news Nov 2022 -> https://mailchi.mp/yha/yhanewsnov2022?e=[UNIQID]

YHA NZ email 30 Sep 2022
YHA Sales Success
Today, we bring you important news.
We can now advise members and partners that our four remaining properties (YHA Auckland International, YHA Aoraki Mt Cook, YHA Queenstown Lakefront, and YHA Franz Josef) have been sold. The four other properties previously sold to RPZ (YHA Rotorua, YHA Wellington, YHA Lake Tekapo, and YHA Wānaka) have also been on-sold to the same purchaser. In addition, the Christchurch Hereford Street lease is also being signed over.

YHA New Zealand is delighted that the purchaser is a hospitality group focused on providing quality budget accommodation. We appreciate that you may have questions regarding who has purchased the properties. Once they have made public their purchase, then we will be able to talk about that more freely.

What does this mean for YHA?
These sales have ensured that all YHA New Zealand's liabilities are now cleared, which is a hugely positive outcome for the organisation. We extend our warmest thanks to all our trade and supply partners who stood by us during this time. Founded in 1932, YHA now embarks on a new chapter in our long and storied history. We are effectively in a position to become a 90-year-old business start-up, which must be some kind of record.
[ I am a YHA NZ life member]
nsx and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 11, 2024 at 6:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.