Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:08 pm

Are they getting rid of the separate transit holding area from Auckland airport or is that still a thing?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:19 pm

It's still a thing. Remember foreigners are still banned from entering NZ, only NZ citizens/residents are allowed to enter.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA
Landside transit in SFO on LHR-WLG itinerary - testing requirements

Hi there, my daughter and I are travelling to NZ from the U.K. at the start of April. We transit in SFO where we’ll have to go through customs. According to the Nz requirements this means that we’ll have to have our pre-testing within 24h/48h (antigen/pcr) of the departure from SFO.

This wouldn’t be too much of a problem but I’ve written to the PM and cabinet office email and they wrote back to say we’d also have to test in the US. This doesn’t make any sense to me and I’ve read the relevant legislation / Director-General’s gazette or whatever it is, and there’s no mention that the test has to be conducted in the country of your last departure. I’ve written back and unfortunately they’re not as quick to reply this time! Problem is, with just 7 hours in SFO we’re going to have to pay for a rapid pcr ($250 a head) or get a cab to a nearby pharmacy. Bit of a pain, and it could all go horribly wrong if flight delayed (or - worse - if it’s positive!)

(Other relevant info: vaccinated, nz citizens).

Anyone have any other info? I think we’re in the clear but I just can’t find anything that goes into much detail about landside transit requirements.

thanks
Damian
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by damoslim
Anyone have any other info? I think we’re in the clear but I just can’t find anything that goes into much detail about landside transit requirements.
You're highlighting here something that I hadn't considered.

If you check here you'll see that when you select "no" to staying airside the wording is pretty clear:
Most travellers must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 pre-departure test to enter New Zealand. This depends on your original destination and where you transited on your way to New Zealand. Use this tool to check what you need to do for the countries you're flying from or transiting through.
(emphasis mine)

So I think that yes, you'll have to get a test in SFO. I'd be surprised if there's not an option at the airport to get a RAT in a few minutes.

Hopefully someone will weigh in to confirm or deny.
Have a great trip!
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is LHR-SFO-AKL-WLG all on 1 ticket?
My understanding was testing before first flight (but may be incorrect).
But a USA formal entry (immigration/customs) may hamper that.USA does not have the concept of transit (airside or landside)
7hrs to get PCR/RAT and with written results at SFO area could be tough.
Would be better if the pre departure test for USA could also be used for NZ entry.

NZ Govt-->Pre-departure tests to enter New Zealand (Last updated: 14 March 2022 at 10:06 am)
<snip>
Most travellers entering New Zealand from 28 February 2022 must provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 result from one of these tests:
  • a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test administered no more than 48 hours before the scheduled departure of your first international flight to New Zealand, or
  • supervised rapid antigen test (RAT) no more than 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your first international flight to New Zealand, or
  • a supervised loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) test no more than 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your first international flight to New Zealand.
<snip>
(my red high light)
Some of these NZ govt web pages are changing frequently - daily.

Edit
https://www.flysfo.com/travel-well/covid-19-testing
Three on-site COVID-19 testing services are available to travelers at SFO:
  • Worksite Labs: Drive-thru testing located adjacent to the Long-Term Parking Lot and Cell Phone Waiting Lot; in-terminal testing located in the International Terminal Departures Hall
  • Dignity Health-GoHealth Urgent Care: located in the International Terminal Departures Hall
  • XpresCheck: located on the Arrivals Level of Terminal 3

Appointments are strongly recommended as capacity is limited. If an appointment is not available, all slots at that test site are fully booked. Tests are also available on a walk-in, first-come, first-served basis, but there is no guarantee that you will be tested. It's strongly recommended that passengers get tested the day before their flight, if possible. A valid boarding pass or airline reservation is required to use these services.
Book now !

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 14, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
This really is not my definition of a country that is open. No wonder her stock has fallen quite considerably.. And I'll say it before the usual bedwetters do: "deaths are low"....
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso
You're highlighting here something that I hadn't considered.

If you check here you'll see that when you select "no" to staying airside the wording is pretty clear:
(emphasis mine)

So I think that yes, you'll have to get a test in SFO. I'd be surprised if there's not an option at the airport to get a RAT in a few minutes.

Hopefully someone will weigh in to confirm or deny.
Have a great trip!
Ah, funnily enough I’d read that but not interpreted in that way. I’d thought it meant the specific requirements depended on where you’d transited through but not that the test would have to be stamped there. But maybe that was wishful thinking!

I also read the gazette from Director-General (I’m too noob to post link). No mention there of where the test has to be done - just the timeframes. Feels like a lot of US transits could be caught out by this!

Many thanks for helping out
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Originally Posted by damoslim
Ah, funnily enough I’d read that but not interpreted in that way. I’d thought it meant the specific requirements depended on where you’d transited through but not that the test would have to be stamped there. But maybe that was wishful thinking!

I also read the gazette from Director-General (I’m too noob to post link). No mention there of where the test has to be done - just the timeframes. Feels like a lot of US transits could be caught out by this!

Many thanks for helping out
You wouldn't currently need an extra test in the USA, although this could always change. As a regular traveller not coming from a group 1 country (some Pacific Islands), you're a "General traveller-Z" covered by Schedule 14 of the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Air Border) Order 2021. Schedule 14 applies clause 14 of that order:

Clause 14 requires you to get a "COVID-19 test within the specified period" before you arrive. The specified period for a General traveller-Z is defined in this Director-General notice:

The requirement is:
  • A PCR test with a specified period of 48 hours before the person’s journey to New Zealand begins.
  • A LAMP test supervised by a health professional with a specified period of 24 hours before the person’s journey to New Zealand begins.
  • A RAT supervised by a health professional with a specified period of 24 hours before the person’s journey to New Zealand begins.
And the notice says:

... a journey may include a multi-leg journey. A traveller is taken to have begun their multi-leg journey:
  • on the traveller’s first international departure; or
  • if the person stays after that first international departure in any country or other place for more than 72 hours, on their international departure from the country or other place at which the person most recently stayed for 72 hours or more before arriving in New Zealand.
So as long as you don't stay in the USA for >72 hours, you're fine.
Kiwi Flyer and malmostoso like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckett66
And the notice says:
... a journey may include a multi-leg journey. A traveller is taken to have begun their multi-leg journey:
  • on the traveller’s first international departure; or
  • if the person stays after that first international departure in any country or other place for more than 72 hours, on their international departure from the country or other place at which the person most recently stayed for 72 hours or more before arriving in New Zealand..
Unfortunately the NZ Govt web page most people would refer to does not mention the "multi-leg journey" and "if the person stays after that first international departure in any country or other place for more than 72 hours, on their international departure from the country or other place at which the person most recently stayed for 72 hours or more before arriving in New Zealand"
But has the selection buttons to clarity (confuse?) the requirements
Many people coming into NZ will be/have been on a "multi-leg journey"

https://covid19.govt.nz/internationa...r-new-zealand/
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:23 pm

As the test rule is enforced by the airlines I think the only thing that matters is what TIMATIC says.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Beckett66
So as long as you don't stay in the USA for >72 hours, you're fine.
The links you post are very informative and clear, thanks!

One must hope that the check in agent at SFO is equally well informed!
Beckett66 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:39 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by malmostoso
The links you post are very informative and clear, thanks!

One must hope that the check in agent at SFO is equally well informed!
I had a similar question with my return to NZ next week. Last week it took me ages to find the details from the gazette. The info was not on the governments main covid website, or the ministry of health covid website.

I have printed out a copy to show airline agents if they give me grief about being tested in the originating country only and not the transit country.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I had a similar question with my return to NZ next week. Last week it took me ages to find the details from the gazette. The info was not on the governments main covid website, or the ministry of health covid website.

I have printed out a copy to show airline agents if they give me grief about being tested in the originating country only and not the transit country.
I was thinking about printing out too. I wonder if you’d be able to pop back in here and let me know how it worked out for you?

Thanks to everyone for their responses!
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As anticipated opening up to AU from 13 April & many other countries on 01 May. About 60 visa waiver countries.

NZ Govt When New Zealand's borders open [update 16 march 11:34]
<snip>
Step 3 —
From 13 April, and from 2 May

From 11:59pm 12 April 2022The following fully vaccinated people can enter New Zealand and do not need to self-isolate or enter MIQ:
  • Australian citizens and permanent residents.
  • Current temporary work and student visa holders from anywhere in the world, with a valid visa who can still meet their visa requirements — this includes both visa holders currently offshore, and those in New Zealand who choose to travel overseas and wish to return.
  • Up to 5,000 international students from anywhere in the world, for semester 2.
Get a COVID-19 pre-departure test

From 11:59pm 1 May 2022
The following fully vaccinated people can enter New Zealand and do not need to self-isolate or enter MIQ:
  • Visitors from countries who do not need a visa (visa waiver visitors).
  • Visitors from other countries who already hold a valid visitor visa.
Visa waiver countries and territories | immigration.govt.nz
<snip>
From AU is only for "Australian citizens and permanent residents." Not other people who have been in AU for say 14 days. AU is open to the world, so getting in visitors.

(rnz.co.nz)--->Jacinda Ardern gives update on border reopening
<snip>
Ardern says trans-Tasman travellers have traditionally made up 40 percent of tourists to New Zealand, and will be able to travel in time for the Australia school holidays, and provide a boost for the winter ski season.
<snip>
From a travellers view (ExecTrav AU)--->New Zealand to welcome back Australian travellers from April 13
tauphi, Silver Fox and narvik like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 15, 2022 at 6:21 pm
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:49 pm

There is one gotcha for travelling to NZ though, their age cutoff for pre-flight Covid testing is 2 years old. That's significantly lower than most countries in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.