Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

There will be a soft closure of the NZ Border - https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120279430/coronavirus-prime-minister-updates-nz-on-covid19-outbreak
As of midnight Sunday every person arriving will have to isolate themselves for 14 days, Ardern says. That will mean New Zealand will have the strongest restrictions in the Pacific Islands.As of midnight Saturday no cruise ships will be able to dock in New Zealand until June 30.

Strict new border exit measures to the Pacific Islands will also be put in place.

Travel restrictions will be reviewed in 16 days, the PM said.
Also a similar new posting on the NZ Herald - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12316692
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Wonder if this impacts cabin crew / pilots? that would pretty quickly shutdown NZ's International Operations.

There is going to be allot of people coming back from an weekend in Australia getting caught out. Will be fun to-watch the Tasman race tomorrow to be in by Midnight.
I am one, luckily F1 GP was cancelled so I am out tonight. In the biggest news of the day, My Mother in Law flies back with my wife and children next Sunday...to self isolate in my house! I might defy my travel ban and fly somewhere😩
Fliar and NZbutterfly like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:24 am

Has anybody seen under what legislative grounds this is being enacted?
I ask because leave entitlements will be based on whether it's per an Act (not willing, ready, and able i.e. not eligible for special leave) or merely a non-legislative direction in which case you could turn up to work (or have your company pay you)
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by akl_traveller
Has anybody seen under what legislative grounds this is being enacted?
I ask because leave entitlements will be based on whether it's per an Act (not willing, ready, and able i.e. not eligible for special leave) or merely a non-legislative direction in which case you could turn up to work (or have your company pay you)
With most New Zealand workers getting 10 sick days per year, most would be covered provided they haven't already used there sick leave.

Allot would be able to work from home etc, e.g. I would be able to work from home, just it would be boring as ....... without being around people in an open plan office space (might get more work done).

It seems to be maybe some of the bigest lock downs since the Berlin Wall?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:31 am

Wonder if folks who've already entered the country within the last two weeks are also required to self isolate after Sunday?
US Citizen here and arrived on Sunday the 8th. Scheduled to return to LAX this coming Tuesday.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hur88
Wonder if folks who've already entered the country within the last two weeks are also required to self isolate after Sunday?
US Citizen here and arrived on Sunday the 8th. Scheduled to return to LAX this coming Tuesday.
No. Only for entry from Sunday midnight (~Monday 00:01)
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:37 am

For me its unclear if returning from Australia is included. I know she said all arrivals but then later said excluding the 'Pacific' but also in the same aspect mentioned other measures to do with the 'Pacific Islands'. So does the Pacific exclusion mean ex AUS dont need to isolate? Anyone know for sure if Aussie is in or out?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by racekp
For me its unclear if returning from Australia is included. I know she said all arrivals but then later said excluding the 'Pacific' but also in the same aspect mentioned other measures to do with the 'Pacific Islands'. So does the Pacific exclusion mean ex AUS dont need to isolate? Anyone know for sure if Aussie is in or out?
Aussie isn't a Pacific island and is getting community spread. AFAIK there are no cases in Pacific yet & they have tougher entry requirements than NZ.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by racekp
Scratch that just read some more info and it's clear AUS is a cat 1b country and included in the self isolation....now waits for AirNZ to extend fare credit options to AUS travel.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:47 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Wonder if this impacts cabin crew / pilots? that would pretty quickly shutdown NZ's International Operations.

There is going to be allot of people coming back from an weekend in Australia getting caught out. Will be fun to-watch the Tasman race tomorrow to be in by Midnight.
No country as far as I am aware is quarantined air crew as part of their standard self quarantine. The USA Europe ban has air crew as an exception.

With most New Zealand workers getting 10 sick days per year, most would be covered provided they haven't already used there sick leave.

Allot would be able to work from home etc, e.g. I would be able to work from home, just it would be boring as ....... without being around people in an open plan office space (might get more work done).

​​​​​​​I do not know what industry you are in, but most New Zealanders get the minimum sick leave, which is 5 days per year. When I worked a job you better believe, no one gave me more than my designated legal 5 days, let alone 10...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
No country as far as I am aware is quarantined air crew as part of their standard self quarantine. The USA Europe ban has air crew as an exception.

I do not know what industry you are in, but most New Zealanders get the minimum sick leave, which is 5 days per year. When I worked a job you better believe, no one gave me more than my designated legal 5 days, let alone 10...
I might of been lucky my last few jobs have all been 10, just checked my current employment agreement and its 10/PA which an allowance to collect up to 20days banked at once.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I might of been lucky my last few jobs have all been 10, just checked my current employment agreement and its 10/PA which an allowance to collect up to 20days banked at once.
luckily, my sick days accumulate so I have 251 days in the bank! Hope I don’t need them.
ps107 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:39 pm

So if I travel from Rarotonga to Auckland no self isolation, but if I only need to stay for 5 days I cannot fl back to RAR as need to stay 14 days? Where and how?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:23 pm

This isn't sick leave, however; this seems akin to the quarantine rules in s118 of the Health Act. If it's legislatively imposed, an employer doesn't have to pay, because the employee isn't ready, willing, and able.

If it's not specifically referenced to legislation, however, it might be seen as voluntary - if Joe Bloggs turns up to work after arriving back from overseas, if his employer then wants him to self isolate, they have to pay.

Would have been good for the PM to actually specify the legal aspects
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From another thread
Originally Posted by og
These are the NZ Government rules for self isolation. They are not as restrictive as I thought.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/...self-isolation
<snip>

What does self-isolation mean?

Self-isolation means staying away from situations where you could infect other people. This means any situation where you may come in close contact with others (face to face contact closer than 1 metre for more than 15 minutes), such as social gatherings, work, school, child care/pre-school centres, university, polytechnic and other education providers, faith-based gatherings, aged care and health care facilities, prisons, sports gatherings, restaurants and all public gatherings.

If you are a visitor to New Zealand, this means you should avoid sitting in a restaurant, or participating in any type of tour group.

If you are unsure if you should be self-isolating, or if you do not know where you can go, please contact Healthline for free on 0800 358 5453.
<snip>
The comment "If you are a visitor to New Zealand, this means you should avoid sitting in a restaurant, or participating in any type of tour group." is interesting. Visitors can still tour around by themselves, in say a campervan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.