Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Davidl81
I went ahead and took KXC's advice and made a reservation for a Wrangler at the same time that I have the luxury reservation. I will see if they let me take the Wrangler on the Luxury reservation. If they won't no big deal and we will just take what ever luxury car we get. It's not worth the extra $500 or so just to get the Jeep.
We rented in early June -- the staff there is amazing - probably the best experience I have ever received from a car rental agency...We ended up in a Jeep Wrangler Softop thru my ES...super accomodating and literally went the extra mile...
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:39 pm

Agreed. HNL staff is awesome!

Just a very quick update. Saturday around 7pm. EA fairly empty, but ES row is fairly full.
Usual FCAR/PCAR and mid size SUVs that's not too exciting.

Some interesting cars to note:
3 Mustang Ecoboost convertibles
1 Mustang GT convertible (brand new, acquired this month!)
2 Cadillac XTS 3.6 FWD
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:46 am

Arrived on Monday afternoon at 5:30
ececutuve aisle
Audi A6 Q3 Q7
Mustang conv and hardtop
Acura sedan
bunch of Nissan Pathfinder and Rouge

Picked the black Q7

Last edited by UAFAM; Jul 18, 2018 at 12:56 pm
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Pretty cool to see the A6 and Q7 on the Exec line. Usually these are held for upgrades next to the booth. Both appear to be just a couple months old too, not higher mileage ones that sometimes get placed on the line.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:33 am

Indeed. I've never seen a Q7 on the ES aisle, usually it is only upgrade. The A6 and Q3 are occasionally spotted there.

And VERY cool to see a S7 on the ES aisle as well.

Looks like at least on HNL they add cars throughout the year and not just in the late fall/winter.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
Pretty cool to see the A6 and Q7 on the Exec line. Usually these are held for upgrades next to the booth. Both appear to be just a couple months old too, not higher mileage ones that sometimes get placed on the line.
Correct, Q7 is the 2018 with 2000 miles on the odometer.

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Indeed. I've never seen a Q7 on the ES aisle, usually it is only upgrade. The A6 and Q3 are occasionally spotted there.

And VERY cool to see a S7 on the ES aisle as well.

Looks like at least on HNL they add cars throughout the year and not just in the late fall/winter.
Sorry, no S7, I meant Q7
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM
Correct, Q7 is the 2018 that just hit 2000 miles.

Sorry, no S7, I meant Q7
Ahh ok. Yeah I was gonna say a S7 would be completely awesome.

But definitely a great vehicle for ES aisle, wonder why it was on the aisle...potentially due to lack of cars and the need to stock the aisle with more premium cars. I've been told that on certain very busy days/times, the usual suspects gets taken from the aisle and they have to start pulling nicer cars from the back to stock the aisle if they run low on cars on certain times....
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:14 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Ahh ok. Yeah I was gonna say a S7 would be completely awesome.

But definitely a great vehicle for ES aisle, wonder why it was on the aisle...potentially due to lack of cars and the need to stock the aisle with more premium cars. I've been told that on certain very busy days/times, the usual suspects gets taken from the aisle and they have to start pulling nicer cars from the back to stock the aisle if they run low on cars on certain times....
I picked the Q7 key and took the pictures of the ES aisle at 5:35 pm, I put my luggage in the trunk, and went back to the baggage claim area to pick up my sister that arrived 45 min after me. I came back to ES line around 6:15 pm to pick up the Q7 and leave, and I noticed A6, Q3, Acura, and one the mustang were gone and nothing new was added to aisle.

I am pretty sure during that 45 min that I left Q7 on the ES aisle, many people asked for its key and they heard there is no key for Q7 from the attendant
aSiAnRiCk and ginmqi like this.

Last edited by UAFAM; Jul 18, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM
I picked the Q7 key and took the pictures of the ES aisle at 5:35 pm, I put my luggage in the trunk, and went back to the baggage claim area to pick up my sister that arrived 45 min after me. I came back to ES line around 6:15 pm to pick up the Q7 and leave, and I noticed A6, Q3, Acura, and one the mustang were gone and nothing new was added to aisle.
Ah, looks like arrival of more people picked out the nice cars! Certainly it can change very dramatically even within the hour as you reported/witnessed.
When it gets later in the day I do see them not really stock anything (I've seen both aisles VERY empty) and basically wait for returns to re-stock them again. Probably just have to be lucky to snag a nicer car when its available on the aisle.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:45 am

Any recent report on minivan or fullsize SUV? We have an upcoming trip to HNL for a party of six so need some advice. Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by teocon18
Any recent report on minivan or fullsize SUV? We have an upcoming trip to HNL for a party of six so need some advice. Thanks
In my almost 1 year of month to month rental out of HNL for work and going back there dozens of times to see EA/ES selections, I've NEVER seen a fullsize SUV for the picking from the aisle. The largest vehicles that I have seen are a bit larger midsize SUVs like an Explorer/Acadia (does have 3 rows), occasionally Grand Cherokee (rare), and a very small handful of times at odd hours I've seen minivans from the aisle for the picking (Pacifica).

But note that due to the touristy location and many groups traveling here, large vehicles are in high demand (as are convertibles and Wranglers) and usually I do not see 6-seater vehicles here that common at all. If you must have 6 seats then it is safer to reserve that specific car class rather than chance it.

As with many other locations, you have to get lucky. If you can catch a time when lot of minivans are being returned, you might snag one from the aisle. I've seen the aisle selection change drastically from hour to hour during a busy day

I've seen the aisle with barely anything worthwhile (lower end midsize to fullsize sedans) to the aisle populated with a mix of Convertibles, Jeeps, minivans and occasional Audi Q3/A6. And a recent poster described his experience snagging a Q7 from the aisle!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:21 pm

What's with those little rectangular white stickers on the lower right bumper of each car? Ex 02-20? I understand offshore states tend to do things differently, ex more Hondas than is usual in the mainland, but still...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:23 pm

I think it's the Hawaii requirement for registration sticker display. They're on every single other car you see here, not just the rental cars. Basically 2/20 means the registration expires on that month/year. Makes it SUPER easy to know which car is newer vs older. They're all on 2 year cycles, so if you see a 7/20 means that's a very new car (registered in 07/2018) vs a car with a sticker that ends in 19.
UAFAM likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
What's with those little rectangular white stickers on the lower right bumper of each car? Ex 02-20? I understand offshore states tend to do things differently, ex more Hondas than is usual in the mainland, but still...
Those are vehicle inspection stickers. Your car has to pass an annual inspection in Hawaii — things like all your lights work, tires aren’t bald, etc.

The exception is for new cars; the initial inspection is good for two years. As ginmqi mentioned, it allows you to easily gauge when a rental car was placed in service.
ginmqi and UAFAM like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:24 am

Picked up Saturday afternoon. Both Emerald and Exec lines were slim pickings.

Exec:
- Multiple Nissan Murano SVs
- Nissan Maxima SV
- Dodge Journey
- Nissan Pathfinder SV
- Audi Q3

Emerald:
- Mazda CX5
- Nissan Sentra
- Hyundai Elantra
- Subaru Forrester

The Pathfinder arrived around the same time I did. Decided to take it over the Maxima since I hadn’t driven one yet. Thought the guy in front of me was going to ask for it, but surprisingly he took the Journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.