MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018) • Which credit card should I get? • Cards with good bonuses • List of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian Kilometers • PointsNerd • Rewards Canada • Don't Call the Airline! • Pointshogger • Canadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
• PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I'd gladly pay the $150 AF if 25,000 HSBC points = 25,000 Avios when you can earn 3 HSBC points per dollar!!!
From the qualification requirements:

Are you eligible?
The HSBC Premier World EliteŽ MastercardŽ is available exclusively to HSBC Premier clients with:
Annual individual income of $80,000 or $150,000 household income, OR
Minimum of $400,000 in assets under management (based on liquid, investable assets with financial institutions in Canada).
Be a Canadian resident.
Be the age of majority in your province of residence.
To qualify for an HSBC Premier relationship, you are required to open and maintain an active HSBC Premier chequing* account, and:
Maintain $100,000 in combined personal deposit and investment balances with HSBC Bank Canada and its subsidiaries.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:48 pm

the problem with BW card is when apply the BW card MBNA don't haven space for you to input BW rewards number on the application form (but Alaska card does), and MBNA rep is not properly trained for this card, that's where all the problem starts.

Here's my fun update on this whole situation:

I call again to see where my points are - and get a COMPLETELY different story from Rep#2. He says, "You have to wait until your next statement for the points to transfer". Then I say, "Well, no - because my next statement won't have the points that were transferred into the black hole 3 months ago" and he then says, "Well, then you'll have to call Best Western Rewards". Then I reply, "Umm, and say what? Where's my points? They'll just tell me to call you back because you need to inform them what is going on".

The Rep then got extremely argumentative, so I cut it off and asked to speak to a supervisor. Then he goes, "Why? What can they help you with that I am not helping you with?". So then I go into the big song and dance about getting conflicting information, and needing someone to take control of the situation and settle it once and for all. He starts getting super condescending and is still arguing that I don't need to speak to a rep. So I said loudly and firmly, "Please transfer me to a supervisor" and he goes, "Stop shrieking into my ear!" and I sigh and go, "Look, you're being insulting, uncooperative and condescending. Get me to a supervisor, please". He goes, "How am I being condescending?" and I go, "You are because I said so - now transfer me to a supervisor" and he FINALLY does. After close to 10 mins of back and forth.

It then takes 2 mins with a supervisor to clear things up. They will contact BW and get all the points sorted out - she agreed that me calling BW would do nothing (why is it that customers always know this and the Reps don't?). Then she gives me 2500 points for all my hassles. Then she gives me her name and direct line.

Always pays to speak with the supervisor!!! Let's hope it's all sorted out by my 4th statement next week!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
the problem with BW card is when apply the BW card MBNA don't haven space for you to input BW rewards number on the application form (but Alaska card does), and MBNA rep is not properly trained for this card, that's where all the problem starts.
Yes, but that is when it should end as well. From previous applications I now call the rep as soon as I activate the card and give them the BW #. Before the statement is cycled I call to confirm the number is on file, and I insist that they say that number for me to confirm. And still there are these issues.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Yes, but that is when it should end as well. From previous applications I now call the rep as soon as I activate the card and give them the BW #. Before the statement is cycled I call to confirm the number is on file, and I insist that they say that number for me to confirm. And still there are these issues.
I've held this card 3 times prior (2 times being repeats) without issue. I think in the past I may have called to activate the card and they get my BW# then.

This has been such an ordeal. Even the 2500 points I was offered by the supervisor I spoke to still aren't in my account. Good grief......
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Looks like Plastiq and Amex are parting ways. Nothing official but since Monday Plastiq is having "issues" with Amex.

Looking on a US credit card churing site it looks like some were really pushing the MS spend.

Who knows, either way Plastiq is useless otherwise, 2X MR points was the only reason I used them.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Looks like Plastiq and Amex are parting ways. Nothing official but since Monday Plastiq is having "issues" with Amex.

Looking on a US credit card churing site it looks like some were really pushing the MS spend.

Who knows, either way Plastiq is useless otherwise, 2X MR points was the only reason I used them.
Whoa. Really? This is bad. Was very convenient for tax payments and minimum spend ...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ecgz88
I am a similar issue. On my online MBNA account, it shows that 22,000 points were transferred to Best Western. However, I didn't have a Best Western account so where could have these points gone?

I called MBNA and they gave me the runaround. They told me they have nothing to do with Best Western and asked me to call Best Western.

When I called Best Western, they told me to set up an account. Now, I have a Best Western account number. I will call MBNA to provide this number so future points will be transferred to my Best Western account but what do I do about the 22,000 points already transferred?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by loun80
I am a similar issue. On my online MBNA account, it shows that 22,000 points were transferred to Best Western. However, I didn't have a Best Western account so where could have these points gone?

I called MBNA and they gave me the runaround. They told me they have nothing to do with Best Western and asked me to call Best Western.

When I called Best Western, they told me to set up an account. Now, I have a Best Western account number. I will call MBNA to provide this number so future points will be transferred to my Best Western account but what do I do about the 22,000 points already transferred?
You need to call MBNA and ask them to confirm what BW number they have tied into your account. Once you get that number contact BW to ensure they merge your BW accounts, keeping the one MBNA has.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:00 pm

I have been go through these run-around for my first few BW card application, it is very frustrated, As I said MBNA rep will keep told you to call BW which is a total false answer, Mine I go through MBNA website E-mail complain channel and it was finally resolved.

Originally Posted by loun80

Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk

Not true.

http://www.pointsnerd.ca/plastiq-and...mare-scenario/
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:24 pm

For Scotiabank card, can you switch from American ExpressŽ Gold Card to no annual-fee American ExpressŽ Card and keep all reward points?

Also, for add secondary card holder, will there be a credit check?

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:38 pm

I've held this card 3 times prior (2 times being repeats) without issue. I think in the past I may have called to activate the card and they get my BW# then.

This has been such an ordeal. Even the 2500 points I was offered by the supervisor I spoke to still aren't in my account. Good grief......
Well, after nearly 5 months, all my BW bonus points are present and accounted for. Even with the headache, it was worth it - especially with the 10K award promo they have right now!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:24 pm

Well, after nearly 5 months, all my BW bonus points are present and accounted for. Even with the headache, it was worth it - especially with the 10K award promo they have right now!
Did you talk to BW rewards outfit or credit card reps made good on the promises?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Did you talk to BW rewards outfit or credit card reps made good on the promises?
Credit card supervisor got the job done! Didn't even speak with BW rewards. Just another reminder that it pays to speak with a supervisor/manager - always!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:57 am

Marriott Rewards MORE

Did anyone get an email about Marriott Rewards MORE? Seems to be similar to ebates, available in Canada and UK (Not sure about US). Has quite a few vendors including Best Buy and Amazon.ca. Amazon is showing 5 points per $ which is pretty good. Haven't had a chance to really look into it but it looks promising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.