MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
Thanks for the info. When I was account shopping about a year ago, I didn't find anything like that - do you have to be a student or senior or something? Are you limited to 10 transactions a month or something small?

(I've been with TDCT for decades, but every couple of years I shop around to see if I can find anything worth switching too, to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck.)
It a basic plan. Don't think there is a maxium, last week they credited back $41 in service charges.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
So I applied for the MBNA Alaska card for the first time last week... did NOT get direct approval. Didn't call in. Today, the card came in the mail! And they extended the highest credit limit I have ever gotten to me without me even asking for anything - 60% higher than my second-highest card limit oO. What did I do to deserve this? Did you guys also get surprisingly high limits on the MBNA card? I mean I don't mind at all lol.

How long after the first purchase do the miles usually post?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
So I applied for the MBNA Alaska card for the first time last week... did NOT get direct approval. Didn't call in. Today, the card came in the mail! And they extended the highest credit limit I have ever gotten to me without me even asking for anything - 60% higher than my second-highest card limit oO. What did I do to deserve this? Did you guys also get surprisingly high limits on the MBNA card? I mean I don't mind at all lol.

How long after the first purchase do the miles usually post?
Takes about 2 billing cycles to get the points.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 3:12 pm

For me I usually receive the points as soon as the AF is paid
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:54 pm

Sorry if covered, but scanning this long thread can't find AMEX churn info.

AMEX Canada warned me I won't get bonus on personal AMEX Gold because I've already received it 18 months ago. Need to wait 4 yrs before getting bonus again. True for you guys churning AMEX in Canada?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by FlightorFight

AMEX Canada warned me I won't get bonus on personal AMEX Gold because I've already received it 18 months ago. Need to wait 4 yrs before getting bonus again. True for you guys churning AMEX in Canada?
Oh crap. So officially being enforced now? I guess it's really dead now.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:55 pm

Who exactly warned you? Phone reps?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:04 pm

Milesbuzz: Canada

Yes, Amex phone rep.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

that's because it's a different thread, maybe cross-post there? look here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...da-2015-a.html
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:47 am

Sorry to hear that..

First I got my Amex Gold in early this year and cancelled about a month later when points were posted in my account (in April). Waited about 5 months and my second Amex Gold approved and I also got the 25k points with FYF (October). I called to call center and they never mentioned as same as your case. It sounds like I can't play this game not anymore.

hw807
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:05 am

AMEX Phone reps don't really know what they are talking about in a lot of cases... they could be right, but they could also be wrong...
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Never assume IT is up to the job.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member

Can you clarify how Amex 'warned' you?

Were you trying to apply through phone?
Or did you sign up on the web, and they proactively called you?
Or did you sign up on the web, and you called in to check on your status, and they warned you?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:23 am

So RBC officially lowered the BA signup bonus back to a ridiculously-low 15k (enough for only 1 RT YYZ-NYC as of Feb 2nd)

However, a while ago I received an email from BA offering the additional 15k after $5k spend - so 30k - which is far more reasonable. They sent it out while the 30k offer was public, however they did not include an expiry date on the offer. I just pulled up the email and the link still works. The only thing is RBC doesn't show the offer on the application page so I don't know if it would actually work, or if it would just give me the public 15k offer.

Here are the terms from the offer:

To receive the 15,000 Avios welcome bonus, your application form must be received and approved by Royal Bank of Canada. Please allow up to 10 weeks after receipt of your card for the 15,000 Avios to be posted to you British Airways Executive Club account. If you are not currently a member of the Executive Club, you will be enrolled automatically once you are approved for the RBC British Airways Visa Infinite card. Please note that the address your Executive Club account membership is registered under must match the one for your RBC British Airways Visa Infinite account at all times for the Avios to be posted to your Executive Club account. The additional 15,000 Avios bonus is only available through this limited-time email and will be awarded to you if a total of $5,000 or more in qualifying purchases and pre-authorised bill payment transactions is posted to your RBC British Airways Visa Infinite account within the first 2 full monthly statement periods (approximately 2 months from the date your account is activated), provided your credit card account is in good standing at the time you reach $5,000 in qualifying transactions. Qualifying transactions exclude cash advances (RBC Royal Bank credit card cheques, balance transfers, cash-like transactions and bill payments that are not pre-authorised charges that you set up with a merchant), interest charges and fees. The 15,000 bonus Avios will be credited to your Executive Club account within 10 to 15 weeks after meeting the spending requirement.
It says "limited time" but there are no dates specified.

I compared the URL of the targeted application page to that of the public offer, and they are very different. So it does not simply redirect.

I would rather not share the link publicly but if someone want to be the guinea pig PM me and I will give you the link to try
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Is it possible to get the GCR bonus for the Alaska Airlines MC multiple times?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.